Draft Day Winners Going Into Day 3

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

The DL is so deep. If Oliver becomes the star that I believe he will they are in good shape. I’d be surprised if they doubled down unless Murphy goes. There just aren’t spots. I’m high on Anae and Robinson. I could get behind that. 

I’d like to see some speed added (there are a bunch of options left). Hightower, McFarland, Watkins, or Calais depending on if they go RB or WR could be options. They were all sub 4.45 guys. I don’t know them all that well but would prefer the guy that’s the best open field runner.

I would also not hesitate to deal one of these late picks for OJ Howard. He’d add another weapon. If he walks after this year you’d have a shot to recoup the pick the following year.

The Moss selection cemented in my mind that we want to sign Chris Thompson after the Draft.

And yeah, it's kinda crazy that we can strip away Hughes, Addison, Star, Murphy, and Butler and still be left with a completely viable (and young) DL. Or Keep Butler and then it's a viable 5 man foundation.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Reader said:

Does he seem more in the mold of Lawson or Chris Kelsay. No knock against Kelsay, the guy gets a bad rap, but one doesn't survive 4? 5? regimes if you suck.

I think Lawson (who I think was better than Kelsay). Epenesa will be a 6-8 sack guy that’s solid against the run. He has some position versatility as well because he can play the 3 technique. Shaq has that skill set too. 

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I think Lawson (who I think was better than Kelsay). Epenesa will be a 6-8 sack guy that’s solid against the run. He has some position versatility as well because he can play the 3 technique. Shaq has that skill set too. 

Epenesa will be better than Shaq out of the box hopefully, we don’t want to wait 4 years for him to figure out how to play DE. Not switching schemes should help.

Just now, BeastMaster said:

Notice they said winners of the "off season"...not the draft.

true But the trade of their first round pick to acquire Diggs effectively makes he the Bills first round pick in a matter of thinking. I know what you're saying but I think overall adding Diggs in lieu of a draft pick perse is a part of the Bills draft strategy thinking as well as defining who they would draft. I consider Diggs a part of this class right or wrong. Agree to disagree.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, FireChans said:

Epenesa will be better than Shaq out of the box hopefully, we don’t want to wait 4 years for him to figure out how to play DE. Not switching schemes should help.

I think that he will too. Shaq turned into a nice player but it wasn’t until the middle of year 3. I think Epenesa can be solid day 1 (which is the positive about the pick). Moss is the same way. I don’t see either of them getting a lot better in the NFL but they can’t completely fail either. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Margarita said:

true But the trade of their first round pick to acquire Diggs effectively makes he the Bills first round pick in a matter of thinking. I know what you're saying but I think overall adding Diggs in lieu of a draft pick perse is a part of the Bills draft strategy thinking as well as defining who they would draft. I consider Diggs a part of this class right or wrong. Agree to disagree.

Exactly.  You cannot evaluate the Bills draft without including the trade for Diggs.  That was a conscious decision to add a proven playmaker vs. the players likely to be available to them at 22. So, that is their star player in this draft. Epenesa and Moss are solid, if not spectacular, players who will improve the team this year.  That said, I do think Baltimore, Denver, and Indy have done particularly well so far. 

Edited by FLFan
  • Thank you (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

His 1.78 10 yard split matters though. That’s indicative of a guy that doesn’t get off the snap quickly. That’s troublesome. I mean, if you want to pop champagne for the pick because some talking heads had him as a top 20 player go ahead. I’m okay with the pick and think he will be solid. He will backfill the Lawson loss adequately. I’ll be very surprised if he’s a star. His athletic skills are not indicative of a future star (which is why a guy that productive was still there at 54).

Kirby, I get your concern but I'd rather draft a good football player than a combine warrior.

There are hundreds of examples like this but let me remind you of just one.  Steve Largent was small and slow - WRs are supposed to be big and fast.  He was drafted in the 4th round and then waived because he wasn't athletic enough for the NFL.  And then he proceeded to have a HOF career with Seattle.  Some guys are just good football players.  They possess important skills that aren't adequately measured at the combine but show up on the field of play.  

Epenesa can't run fast.  But how fast can he beat his man with his hand skills, shed the block, and get to the QB?  The tape says he can do these things plenty quick.  

9 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Kirby, I get your concern but I'd rather draft a good football player than a combine warrior.

There are hundreds of examples like this but let me remind you of just one.  Steve Largent was small and slow - WRs are supposed to be big and fast.  He was drafted in the 4th round and then waived because he wasn't athletic enough for the NFL.  And then he proceeded to have a HOF career with Seattle.  Some guys are just good football players.  They possess important skills that aren't adequately measured at the combine but show up on the field of play.  

Epenesa can't run fast.  But how fast can he beat his man with his hand skills, shed the block, and get to the QB?  The tape says he can do these things plenty quick.  

I’m not saying that he’s bad. There is a reason though that a guy with his production was on the board at 54. There are reasons to be concerned. His upside is limited imo. The good news is that his downside is limited too. He will be a solid player day 1. We all just need to temper our expectations that he’s going to be a double-digit sack guy. That would be a surprise.

There were guys as productive, that went later, that I think will be better. Greenard and Anae are two examples. The Bills could have went Dobbins and Greenard instead of Epenesa and Moss. I think that they would have gotten the better RB and the better pass rusher in that scenario. The guys that they got are going to help but there were other options that I would have preferred. 

9 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

potential? 

I say potential because I think he has room for growth. Like 100 receptions per year kind of potential. He had a few years where he caught 60~ catches in Minnesota, I think that’s impossible here. Diggs can enter that top 2-3 echelon of WRs, in Minnesota he may have been top 7-8.

6 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I’m not saying that he’s bad. There is a reason though that a guy with his production was on the board at 54. There are reasons to be concerned. His upside is limited imo. The good news is that his downside is limited too. He will be a solid player day 1. We all just need to temper our expectations that he’s going to be a double-digit sack guy. That would be a surprise.

There were guys as productive, that went later, that I think will be better. Greenard and Anae are two examples. The Bills could have went Dobbins and Greenard instead of Epenesa and Moss. I think that they would have gotten the better RB and the better pass rusher in that scenario. The guys that they got are going to help but there were other options that I would have preferred. 

Him being a 10 sack guy after 2-3 years not only would it not be a surprise, I expect it to happen.

He was the number one DE recruit coming out of high school and all he has ever done is produce sacks and TFL ever since.

There are plenty of guys who are 10 sack guys that weren’t workout warriors either.  

He was one of the leaders in all of college with one on one matchups according to PFF and led the big ten with 58 QB pressures this past year.  He abused Miami’s future LT with 2 sacks in his matchup with him.   

There is nothing that I see from him considering his great size, arm length, hand technique, first step and consistent production throughout his entire FB life that should prevent him continuing to be a good player that gets lots of pressures.

I’m not saying that he will be a star and I’m not saying that he won’t either but I do believe it’s likely he will have a few 10+ sack seasons in his career.

1 hour ago, Victory Formation said:

Stefon Diggs has star potential.

He does, but he’s not part of this draft class. If trades are going to be considered then so should FA. 

perhaps if you look at the off-season as a whole you could say the Bills are big winners ?‍♂️

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

No offense but I wouldn’t have the Bills in the “big winner” category. They got a couple of solid players that will help them but you can’t be a big winner without some guys with star potential. We deserve a “B.” 

The winners:

Dallas

Baltimore 

Bucs

Broncos 

Colts

Panthers

I think he's counting Diggs , which is hard to argue with our haul. You get a legit #1 WR and DL with a ton of potential at 54 is a home eun

43 minutes ago, Magox said:

Him being a 10 sack guy after 2-3 years not only would it not be a surprise, I expect it to happen.

He was the number one DE recruit coming out of high school and all he has ever done is produce sacks and TFL ever since.

There are plenty of guys who are 10 sack guys that weren’t workout warriors either.  

He was one of the leaders in all of college with one on one matchups according to PFF and led the big ten with 58 QB pressures this past year.  He abused Miami’s future LT with 2 sacks in his matchup with him.   

There is nothing that I see from him considering his great size, arm length, hand technique, first step and consistent production throughout his entire FB life that should prevent him continuing to be a good player that gets lots of pressures.

I’m not saying that he will be a star and I’m not saying that he won’t either but I do believe it’s likely he will have a few 10+ sack seasons in his career.

If that’s your opinion on him, we disagree on the player. That’s okay. To me he is going to be really good against the run and lends versatility. He will get some rush but most of his results will be effort plays that take a little longer to develop. 

30 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

I think he's counting Diggs , which is hard to argue with our haul. You get a legit #1 WR and DL with a ton of potential at 54 is a home eun

I have counted him in the free agent group. It can only be counted once.

If we are choosing to count him as a draft pick the Cardinals win the draft. They got Simmons, Nuke and Josh Jones. 

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 1