How does COVID-19 Change Our World?

Augie

10 minutes ago, Augie said:

I always try to be a glass half full guy. With that in mind, I think some good can come out of this. Use more technology when it can replace travel. Listen to the scientists so next time we are more prepared. And certainly, do all that is possible to stockpile what is needed to adequately protect ALL health care workers! 

I’m certainly not for giving up our rights.  I just hope we learn to be smart and understanding enough to protect each other. Spring break and Mardis Gras were ill advised this year.  People should have known that. I hope we can grow from this. This could help us prepare for something even worse. 

This should and needs to prepare us for something worse. It was just kind of blindside hit. We were all worried about man made things like nuclear war with N Korea and then this comes along and we hit the reset button because it doesn't discriminate. There are no sides, it affects everyone. 

• Like (+1) 2

19 hours ago, Augie said:

Yikes! Sometimes flight delays result in my wife coming home on the wrong DAY! 

I’m hoping the video conferencing becomes more of a thing. She’s doing it daily now, replacing what used to be trips. It’s a big issue with the compliance people that you use the right services. Things like Zoom have not been approved because you can’t discuss client info, bank strategy, etc if it can be (EDIT: easily) hacked. But there are approved, (more) secure methods and getting used to doing it this way is great if it sticks and makes travel more selective.

They just had an emergency security patch to prevent Zoom being used at work for some were using against rules.

Zoom is an application that Bellicheat is hoping NFL will adopt as standard like Microsoft Surface because it is so easy to hack.

On 4/17/2020 at 12:43 AM, Augie said:

I remember a lady who hired me to a bank in 1993 who would not shake hands. She would cross her hands on her chest and give a little bow. Some people thought she was a nut job, but she actually was a genius.

Will a handshake ever become the common gesture again?  How soon does it come back, if ever?  Does that EVER happen? How soon before you want to cram into a stadium with 65k strangers?  

The world is going to change in a lot of ways, many of which we can’t even foresee at this point. Amazon is soaring, while other sectors are suffering, some more than others. “Virtual business” will replace a lot of travel with airfare, restaurants and hotels.  Zoom surges as Delta and  Marriott struggle mightily. 

I’m curious about your thoughts, where do you see this going? How does this change our lives?  The world as we know it will change forever going forward. 

The crisis is now, what does the future look like? 

PS.    I’m an optimist, we always bounce back. 

I actually think the opposite will happen. I feel like this is making people appreciate in-person contact on a whole new level. Once everything gets back to normal and there is a vaccine, I wouldn’t be surprised if we see more of a shift away from online stuff. More in-person interaction, more retail shopping, more restaurant dining, more going to live events, less devices, etc. 

I think some of the biggest lasting changes will be ways of working/doing business discovered during this period (more working from home, virtual meetings, etc) will start to become SOP on a wider, more regular basis.  Efficiencies will be discovered.  And IMO that's not always a good thing. While  efficiency is extremely valued in the modern world, you lose a lot by not taking the slow, hard, inefficient route from time-to-time.  I love the knowledge and beauty I find in the inefficiencies. 

• Like (+1) 1

Things are bound to get mighty "interesting" in the short term. (say the next year) I can see having the NFL and other sports leagues playing in empty stadiums this year. You can forget all about any rock concerts too. How many restaurants survive this I wouldn't begin to guess - but likely not many. The airlines are gonna need bailouts and then there is the problem of people not being able to pay their rent/mortgage. This has the potential to get very, very ugly. We are nowhere near being out of the woods on this thing at this point.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

I actually think the opposite will happen. I feel like this is making people appreciate in-person contact on a whole new level. Once everything gets back to normal and there is a vaccine, I wouldn’t be surprised if we see more of a shift away from online stuff. More in-person interaction, more retail shopping, more restaurant dining, more going to live events, less devices, etc. 

You may be right.....only time will tell. In my mind part of this is fear of the virus (for now) and part of it is finding more efficient and cost effective ways of doing things. Not necessarily “better”, because personal contact is extremely important, but I look at all the money that can be saved on business travel by utilizing technology more widely. 

I know I’m eager to be able to go out to eat and gather with friends again, but this will have to come back slowly.

43 minutes ago, The Dean said:

I think some of the biggest lasting changes will be ways of working/doing business discovered during this period (more working from home, virtual meetings, etc) will start to become SOP on a wider, more regular basis.  Efficiencies will be discovered.  And IMO that's not always a good thing. While  efficiency is extremely valued in the modern world, you lose a lot by not taking the slow, hard, inefficient route from time-to-time.  I love the knowledge and beauty I find in the inefficiencies. 

This is kind of how I see it. 

I look at all the ways that money can be saved on business travel and commercial real estate and wonder to what extent companies are going to want to benefit from those savings. Especially after poor earnings during this period, they will want to ramp the revenue back up as quickly as possible, and look for savings where they can find them. 

Edited by Augie

how deeply behaviours change depends on how long this lasts. Economically if the lockdown extends into the Fall we'll be staring at a Dust Bowl Depression. 

I can't imagine the snarl that dating will become as a result. With all the remote work, people will start questioning why they live in some big, expensive city.  

• Like (+1) 1

Listening to all the love they are giving for the “at home draft”, bringing the family into things, I wonder if they won’t try to incorporate some element of that in the future. I found it interesting and humanizing to see them in their home environments. It probably doesn’t stick 100%, but I think this has gone smoothly and was an interesting production.  FWIW

On 4/18/2020 at 3:37 PM, DefenseWins said:

Things are bound to get mighty "interesting" in the short term. (say the next year) I can see having the NFL and other sports leagues playing in empty stadiums this year. You can forget all about any rock concerts too. How many restaurants survive this I wouldn't begin to guess - but likely not many. The airlines are gonna need bailouts and then there is the problem of people not being able to pay their rent/mortgage. This has the potential to get very, very ugly. We are nowhere near being out of the woods on this thing at this point.

This is similar to my view.  I expect vehicle sales to sag badly as people lose jobs then the automotive industry will need help.  Quite simply quite a few people are going to lose their financial footing because of the pandemic and are unlikely to get it back.  Automation will be accelerated because of the pandemic and businesses will be even more determined to conserve money so expect aggressive payroll management i.e. replace with less cost options.  Their will be a new normal but it will not look like 2019 socially and economically.

Edited by RochesterRob

On 4/17/2020 at 4:06 PM, May Day 10 said:

The one change that I expect (and hope for) is a global mitigation strategy and extensive cooperation to prevent this from happening for the next 100 years )until humans forget that this is a threat again).    At the very least, locally in the US we develop a better store of emergency equipment and a better tracing/tracing/technological strategy.  

This is the most critical thing that comes out of this.  Global cooperation and at home a US plan with structure, SOPs, adequate supplies, and logistics to monitor.  Maybe it takes 100 years for a similar pandemic but with our global population I seriously doubt that.

Working at home kind of sucks if the kids are home from school.  Companies won't want to spend the extra $ in separating people, PPE, etc so I think it all goes away once Covid blows over.  More people will shy away from shaking hands but I seriously doubt social contact goes away.  Personally, I will be glad to get back to shaking people's hand as symbolic of the end of this.

9 hours ago, RochesterRob said:

This is similar to my view.  I expect vehicle sales to sag badly as people lose jobs then the automotive industry will need help.  Quite simply quite a few people are going to lose their financial footing because of the pandemic and are unlikely to get it back.  Automation will be accelerated because of the pandemic and businesses will be even more determined to conserve money so expect aggressive payroll management i.e. replace with less cost options.  Their will be a new normal but it will not look like 2019 socially and economically.

It WILL be different. I like the way my wife’s team is looking at this. While this is hard, and we have to find new ways to do things, we also need to look hard and identify the things we need to NOT bring back. The OLD normal included a lot of inefficiencies, and we get better if we recognize them, and do NOT bring them back. Some things we SHOULD leave behind. It’s not ALL bad. 

The Chinese symbol for crisis means two things, danger and.......... opportunity.  I’m a glass half full guy, so I like that. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_word_for_"crisis"

Yeah, ironic that if they just fully cooked their stinkin’ bats, we would not learn of their “wisdom”.    ?‍♂️

I like that we, especially my wife, have been using Zoom and other tools to “gather” with old friends. Something that didn’t used to happen. I don’t think that ends when the lockdown ends. That’s a good thing. We are indeed physically separated, but we are also brought together. 

Edited by Augie

1 hour ago, Augie said:

It WILL be different. I like the way my wife’s team is looking at this. While this is hard, and we have to find new ways to do things, we also need to look hard and identify the things we need to NOT bring back. The OLD normal included a lot of inefficiencies, and we get better if we recognize them, and do NOT bring them back. Some things we SHOULD leave behind. It’s not ALL bad. 

The Chinese symbol for crisis means two things, danger and.......... opportunity.  I’m a glass half full guy, so I like that. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_word_for_"crisis"

Yeah, ironic that if they just fully cooked their stinkin’ bats, we would not learn of their “wisdom”.    ?‍♂️

I like that we, especially my wife, have been using Zoom and other tools to “gather” with old friends. Something that didn’t used to happen. I don’t think that ends when the lockdown ends. That’s a good thing. We are indeed physically separated, but we are also brought together. 

From your Wiki link:

The primary meaning of the second character in wēijī, pronounced , (; ) is not "opportunity".[3][10] Sinologist Victor H. Mair of the University of Pennsylvania states the popular interpretation of wēijī as "danger" plus "opportunity" is a "widespread public misperception" in the English-speaking world.[9] 

57 minutes ago, The Dean said:

From your Wiki link:

So what is it? Danger, plus don’t trust the egg rolls?  :)

They are rolling with their version, because in the current environment......it’s true. It’s both a problem and an opportunity if you are willing to see it that way. 

From the same Wiki link: 

“the term's "danger-plus-opportunity" meaning has been so widely used by politicians, businesspeople, and in popular culture that its alternative etymology has been picked up all over the world, including by some native Chinese speakers.”

I have a close friend who just started a new bank for a group of 100% Asian investors. I shared this with him as he faced unexpected challenges while opening a new bank, and it got no blow back from any of them. (Side note: last time he started a bank was 2008, so next time he starts a bank I’m selling everything and going straight to CASH!) 

Edited by Augie

27 minutes ago, Augie said:

So what is it? Danger, plus don’t trust the egg rolls?  :)

They are rolling with their version, because in the current environment......it’s true. It’s both a problem and an opportunity if you are willing to see it that way. 

“the term's "danger-plus-opportunity" meaning has been so widely used by politicians, businesspeople, and in popular culture that its alternative etymology has been picked up all over the world, including by some native Chinese speakers.”

I have a close friend who just started a new bank for a group of 100% Asian investors. I shared this with him as he faced unexpected challenges while opening a new bank, and it got no blow back from any of them. (Side note: last time he started a bank was 2008, so next time he starts a bank I’m selling everything and going straight to CASH!) 

i think that's the point. Myths get repeated so often people think they are the truth and repeat them ad nausea.   It's really probably not the right interpretation, so let's not suggest it is, every time the opportunity presents itself. 

27 minutes ago, The Dean said:

i think that's the point. Myths get repeated so often people think they are the truth and repeat them ad nausea.   It's really probably not the right interpretation, so let's not suggest it is, every time the opportunity presents itself. 

We add new words to the dictionary every year. If my buddy’s Chinese and Korean investors don’t kick back on this, I don’t know who we are to do so. He has to remind them to speak english at times as they speak so many different languages. 

It’s really not important in an “exact sense” (though there is certainly a current basis for it), but the basic point remains. If you want to argue etymology, I’ll argue the most current is the most valid. 

Not worth discussing beyond this point. 

EDIT: please see the selected bold in MY edited post above. There it is. 

Edited by Augie

• 1 month later...
On 4/17/2020 at 8:37 AM, DCOrange said:

Why do you do this to me? I've been nothing but nice to you!

Dude, been thinking bout you. Thought I saw something about some protests in Columbia Heights yesterday, but i may be wrong. Hope youo are well, hope your move went well...have you participated in any of the protests? Any first hand reports greatly appreciated.

I have only spent 3 nights in DC since this poop started in March, and damn i miss the District! Hopefully be back next weekend , maybe we can get a beer!

BTW, this is the Bills bar we talked about

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

Dude, been thinking bout you. Thought I saw something about some protests in Columbia Heights yesterday, but i may be wrong. Hope youo are well, hope your move went well...have you participated in any of the protests? Any first hand reports greatly appreciated.

I have only spent 3 nights in DC since this poop started in March, and damn i miss the District! Hopefully be back next weekend , maybe we can get a beer!

BTW, this is the Bills bar we talked about

I haven't been able to participate personally, but our neighbors have been going the past couple days and I think we might try to go tomorrow or Friday assuming people are still out protesting.

One of the protests definitely made its way past our street but nobody has physically come down our street so no action in front of the house yet other than police cars and firetrucks speeding by every once in awhile.

• Thank you (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

I haven't been able to participate personally, but our neighbors have been going the past couple days and I think we might try to go tomorrow or Friday assuming people are still out protesting.

One of the protests definitely made its way past our street but nobody has physically come down our street so no action in front of the house yet other than police cars and firetrucks speeding by every once in awhile.

I saw the guy on the news who took in about 70 people overnight stuck being gassed by “authorities”. @plenzmd1 could do some serious cooking for the crowds!

We are not half way through this year. Is there anything crazier we could add? I’ve never seen anything like 2020. If it were a movie script I wouldn’t buy it. 

Also, as @plenzmd1 said way back when, I think (hope? Never a fan) buffets are history. Traveling for work will never be what it was. No need to shake hands, etc.

More recently he pointed out if we don’t spike after all this communal protesting/rioting, we may be able to attend the home opener. YAY! 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Augie said:

I saw the guy on the news who took in about 70 people overnight stuck being gassed by “authorities”. @plenzmd1 could do some serious cooking for the crowds!

We are not half way through this year. Is there anything crazier we could add? I’ve never seen anything like 2020. If it were a movie script I wouldn’t buy it. 

Also, as @plenzmd1 said way back when, I think (hope? Never a fan) buffets are history. Traveling for work will never be what it was. No need to shake hands, etc.

More recently he pointed out if we don’t spike after all this communal protesting/rioting, we may be able to attend the home opener. YAY! 

It's  not passed through food well.  Why would  buffets  be done?  If you  do digest,  mild symptoms.  It's  respiratory,  bad when it lodges  in there.

1 hour ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

It's  not passed through food well.  Why would  buffets  be done?  If you  do digest,  mild symptoms.  It's  respiratory,  bad when it lodges  in there.

I hate buffets, so there! Plus, let’s all stand around the food together? Why clump up? 

Did I mention I hate buffets? Quantity over quality is not my thing, and I like my space, even before all this craziness. I’d have banned them regardless if I had the clout. 

Edited by Augie
  • Haha (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, Augie said:

I hate buffets, so there! Plus, let’s all stand around the food together? Why clump up? 

Did I mention I hate buffets? Quantity over quality is not my thing, and I like my space, even before all this craziness. I’d have banned them regardless is I had the clout. 

My father hated them too.   If he had to  stand in line, he'd  "moo" like  cattle  in a corral.  He'd  hate Golden Corral. Probably  the Army chow  line in the early  1950s did him in. LoL...

• Haha (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Augie said:

Did I mention I hate buffets? Quantity over quality is not my thing, and I like my space, even before all this craziness. I’d have banned them regardless if I had the clout. 

I respect your opinion. I love buffets so much, great variety of food for a great price. I don't care if it's not the healthiest or cleanest way to get food. I hope they never die out! 

12 hours ago, Augie said:

Why do you hate Rob Ryan?

1 hour ago, Halloween Land said:

I respect your opinion. I love buffets so much, great variety of food for a great price. I don't care if it's not the healthiest or cleanest way to get food. I hope they never die out! 

I mostly care that the food usually isn’t very good, and even when it is (The Aria in Vegas has an amazing buffet!) I take it as a personal challenge to eat as much food as humanly possible to get “value”.  Then I just feel awful and regret my glutinous ways. :sick:

Fear not....they will probably find a way to carry on. Too many people love them, I’m just not one of them. 

1 hour ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Why do you hate Rob Ryan?

I’m just afraid he’s going to pop and get all over me! 

• Haha (+1) 1

14 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Not really about the food. 

I'm no buffet fan, either. Serve me my freshly prepared food please. Plus I special order just about everything, so few things on a buffet are to my liking.  One exception I have always made is a breakfast buffet at a high-end hotel. Fresh fruit, made to order omelettes, and such.  But haven't had one of those in years. Probably won't be doing that againk anytime soon.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 4/17/2020 at 9:45 AM, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

Perhaps I’m a Luddite, but I refuse to live in fear and I plan to return 100% to pre Covid behavior. 

I have to admit, I'm confused by this. It isn't about living in fear. It's about respect for the health of others. It's about helping out our society when it's in dire need.

We will still have choices to make. Do we act selfishly or with respect? Please don't use the "no fear" explanation for selfish behavior. 

Edited by The Dean
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, The Dean said:

Not really about the food. 

I'm no buffet fan, either. Serve me my freshly prepared food please. Plus I special order just about everything, so few things on a buffet are to my liking.  One exception I have always made is a breakfast buffet at a high-end hotel. Fresh fruit, made to order omelettes, and such.  But haven't had one of those in years. Probably won't be doing that againk anytime soon.

Wow!  Nice.  You just freaked me out.   LoL... see the dude's  face.  You're  gonna give me nightmares Dean....

...Not... I can't stop laughing.