The Big Gamble: Hydroxychloroquine

21 minutes ago, shoshin said:

I've read lots of anecdotes but the only two studies I've seen, the one mentioned (paper here) and this one, show no benefit unfortunately. 

Novartis has a bigger study in progress with proper controls so that will be a better measure. 

I hope it works somehow. We need all the help we can get and a cheap and well-known drug like Hydrochloroquine would be a godsend.

their "bigger" study will have 450 patients, tailored to meet the pre-ordained, desired result 

Definitely enough to try to bury this cure, since it is a double blind study

maybe they should just track the success rate of people recovering from the virus after taking the drug

1 hour ago, shoshin said:

I've read lots of anecdotes but the only two studies I've seen, the one mentioned (paper here) and this one, show no benefit unfortunately. 

Novartis has a bigger study in progress with proper controls so that will be a better measure. 

I hope it works somehow. We need all the help we can get and a cheap and well-known drug like Hydrochloroquine would be a godsend.

Ugh.  That study (also) isn't using zinc.  :rolleyes:

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Doc said:

Ugh.  That study (also) isn't using zinc.  :rolleyes:

Now just wait a gol durned minute here.  You tryin' to imply that studying the effectiveness of a drug taken under conditions that will necessarily limit its effectiveness will make it appear to be an ineffective treatment option?  How could that possibly be the case?

Wondering how the hydroxychloroquine suppository double blind tests are going to turn out? :rolleyes:

14 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Now just wait a gol durned minute here.  You tryin' to imply that studying the effectiveness of a drug taken under conditions that will necessarily limit its effectiveness will make it appear to be an ineffective treatment option?  How could that possibly be the case?

Wondering how the hydroxychloroquine suppository double blind tests are going to turn out? :rolleyes:

are we all admitting now that taking hydrochloroquine by itself was always pointless?

I don't follow this as closely as others, but is that actually what's happening here?

30 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

It has to be with zinc now? 

Lol, this ***** is so crazy.

Can't wait for that vaccine...

Zinc is what actually inhibits the virus from replicating.  HCQ allows it to enter cells.  Azithromycin treats secondary bacterial infections. 

• Thank you (+1) 5

17 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

are we all admitting now that taking hydrochloroquine by itself was always pointless?

I don't follow this as closely as others, but is that actually what's happening here?

When Trump says something, the other something is implied. 

15 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Pretty sure none of the studies that suggested it was helpful suggested taking it by itself.  (And separately have seen a lot of doctors recommending taking zinc regardless to boost your immune system.)

But ttbomk each of the ones that have suggested it isn't effective have only looked at administering hydroxychloroquine by itself.

12 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Pretty sure none of the studies that suggested it was helpful suggested taking it by itself.  (And separately have seen a lot of doctors recommending taking zinc regardless to boost your immune system.)

But ttbomk each of the ones that have suggested it isn't effective have only looked at administering hydroxychloroquine by itself.

Following your doctor's orders was always the right advice, lol. 

What a world....

23 minutes ago, Doc said:

Zinc is what actually inhibits the virus from replicating.  HCQ allows it to enter cells.  Azithromycin treats secondary bacterial infections. 

I'm glad you're not my doctor.  It is estimated that only 12% of Americans are zinc deficient.  There's also stuff like this, but keep grasping at straws:

Large doses of zinc prevent your digestive tract from absorbing copper from your diet, so regularly taking too much zinc depletes your body's copper levels. Copper deficiency can lower your white blood cell count, putting you at increased risk of an infection, since white blood cells make up a part of your immune system. Low copper levels also negatively affect your red blood cells, preventing proper oxygen transport and causing anemia.

Zinc has been shown to interact with various prescription medicines. For example, take it with tetracycline or quinolone antibiotics such as ciprofloxacin (Cipro and generic) and you’ll reduce the amount of both the zinc and the antibiotic that your body absorbs. It can also interfere with the absorption of penicillamine (Cuprimine, Depen), a drug used to treat rheumatoid arthritis and Wilson’s disease (a rare genetic disorder).

12 minutes ago, daz28 said:

I'm glad you're not my doctor.  It is estimated that only 12% of Americans are zinc deficient.  There's also stuff like this, but keep grasping at straws:

Large doses of zinc prevent your digestive tract from absorbing copper from your diet, so regularly taking too much zinc depletes your body's copper levels. Copper deficiency can lower your white blood cell count, putting you at increased risk of an infection, since white blood cells make up a part of your immune system. Low copper levels also negatively affect your red blood cells, preventing proper oxygen transport and causing anemia.

Zinc has been shown to interact with various prescription medicines. For example, take it with tetracycline or quinolone antibiotics such as ciprofloxacin (Cipro and generic) and you’ll reduce the amount of both the zinc and the antibiotic that your body absorbs. It can also interfere with the absorption of penicillamine (Cuprimine, Depen), a drug used to treat rheumatoid arthritis and Wilson’s disease (a rare genetic disorder).

You should be.  I'd tell you to take the fish tank cleaner instead.

• Haha (+1) 4

14 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Not saying you did. Just having fond memories of our President selling hydrochloroquine at the podium.

Ah...those were the days... ?

Pretty sure he never told people to take it without a prescription from a doctor.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, meazza said:

Pretty sure he never told people to take it without a prescription from a doctor.  

The consequences of a president just pushing a specific drug at the podium instead of the consistent message "follow your doctor's orders" should not be lost on us. 

Meanwhile, we'll make all the excuses in the world for political reasons. No matter which way you lean, we're all headed towards a lovely corporate republic. It's all getting pretty nutty. 

Can't say I'm not enjoying it, though. ?

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, meazza said:

I'm positive he said it couldn't hurt you.  Now some people are smart enough to listen to their doctor, but the Trump counter-culture believes him above all others, even when it contradicts fact.

1 hour ago, LeGOATski said:

It has to be with zinc now? 

Lol, this ***** is so crazy.

Can't wait for that vaccine...

Be prepared to wait a long , long time. There may not be a vaccine for years, if ever.  Is there a vaccine for any other known Corona virus ? I mean , there’s a flu shot but it doesn’t make you immune to the flu.