Jump to content
njbuff

Want a WR in the 4th/5th round range?

Recommended Posts

Isaiah Hodgins WR Oregon State 6'4" 210, 2020 playing age: 22

 

Watch the catch at 5:01.

 

 

 

 

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tyler Johnson or Quintez Cephus are the 2 I love in that range. Johnson is so reliable and underrated and Cephus reminds me of Hines Ward with no fear across the middle and plays like he’s 6’5” 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If we are looking at mid rd guys I would be more interested in Bowden from Kentucky, or Jefferson from UF.  A gadget guy day 3 could really help the offense.  I also be willing to take a guy coming off injury.  In the redzone I like Diggs, Beasley, or Browns chances at getting open vs a tall guy trying to bring in 50/50 ball.  In the modern game 50/50 fade routes are low %.

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

If we are looking at mid rd guys I would be more interested in Bowden from Kentucky, or Jefferson from UF.  A gadget guy day 3 could really help the offense.  I also be willing to take a guy coming off injury.  In the redzone I like Diggs, Beasley, or Browns chances at getting open vs a tall guy trying to bring in 50/50 ball.  In the modern game 50/50 fade routes are low %.

 

They got their 'gadget guy' when they re-signed Isaiah McKenzie.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, ExWNYer said:

 

They got their 'gadget guy' when they re-signed Isaiah McKenzie.

For 1 year correct?

 

They need a slot guy, depth and for the future. 
 

Im thinking round 5-6, James Proche SMU or Quartney Davis Texas A&M.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, CEN-CAL17 said:

For 1 year correct?

 

They need a slot guy, depth and for the future. 
 

Im thinking round 5-6, James Proche SMU or Quartney Davis Texas A&M.

 

Yes, one year. Could they use some depth? Certainly; however, with McKenzie back in the fold, I don't see this as a pressing need for this year and it can easily be addressed either during the season, if need be, or next off-season/draft.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

well, 12/12 in the redzone is something.  I like that.  

 

I'd like Claypool if he lasts until the 4th, but  I doubt he does.  

 

This draft will be fun.  It's great to have a GM you trust making the calls.  I went from "who is this guy" early on, to being glad when he got Singletary last year even though I thought it was early and the kid wouldn't make it in the NFL.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, ExWNYer said:

 

Yes, one year. Could they use some depth? Certainly; however, with McKenzie back in the fold, I don't see this as a pressing need for this year and it can easily be addressed either during the season, if need be, or next off-season/draft.

True I agree.... but if we are talking a deep WR draft you may get a quality WR in the later rounds who could go to the PS.... there’s not a lot of glaring holes. But you gotta take BPA and with how deep the WRs are, you may get a steal who comes in and competes, maybe wins a job or goes to the PS.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of the things Beane has accomplished in FA is to set us up to go BPA throughout the draft. I would not be at all surprised if we didn't take a WR at all. With Diggs as a solid #1, this team is fairly stacked at #2 WRs. As I observed in another thread, last season our first through third picks in the draft (Oliver, Ford, and Singletary) started week one, and our fourth (Knox) started week five. This year, we are likely going to be drafting for depth, only. It is unlikely that, barring injury, a single draft pick will start early in the season, unless we get really lucky at pick #54. If Hodgins is available to us in later rounds and is BPA, then sure, we grab him. But, at the moment, WR is less of a need than RB, LB, OT, Edge, or CB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

well, 12/12 in the redzone is something.  I like that.  

 

I'd like Claypool if he lasts until the 4th, but  I doubt he does.  

 

This draft will be fun.  It's great to have a GM you trust making the calls.  I went from "who is this guy" early on, to being glad when he got Singletary last year even though I thought it was early and the kid wouldn't make it in the NFL.  

You wouldn’t want Claypool in rd 3?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ExWNYer said:

 

They got their 'gadget guy' when they re-signed Isaiah McKenzie.

I wouldnt be so sure.  He was brought back for peanuts.  The Redzone threats are also the guys that cant sepetate usually.  Finding guys who get open in college is more important than 50/50 contested catch pertcentage.  Arcega-Whiteside was legendary at 50/50 catches in college and was relativley useless last year for Philly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know the draft is super deep. However, I have a hard time saying Hodgins is going to slip that late. I'm not saying he wont be there, there's no real way of knowing how teams have their boards set, but the kid is stupid good in the red zone. If he there you absolutely run to the podium because hes going to be a sleeper WR. Another good WR for the later rounds that should likely be there is Isaiah Coulter from Rhode Island.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd be interested in picking Hodgins up in like the 6th round or something like that. Hands/ball skills are obviously very good, but he didn't test very well and that shows up big time in his tape. He has a really hard time getting any separation. I'm not really convinced he can stick on an NFL roster. If we want a WR in the 4th-5th round I think the value is in getting another guy that's kinda similar to the guys we already have (which may or may not be a bad thing). Bryan Edwards would be a more unique fit for us and he might be available in that range. Beyond him though, I'd be looking at Devin Duverney, John Hightower, James Proche, and Kalija Lipscomb. Hightower is a deep threat while the other 3 are underneath guys (Duverney winning with speed and the other two just winning with precision).

 

Edit: Adding this video of Hodgins. Even with his push-offs he isn't generating much separation, and look at the second play for an example of how hard of a time he can have. I'm just not really sure where he wins in the NFL; doesn't separate very well underneath, struggles to beat press coverage, and struggles to beat guys deep. Seems like the best way he might be able to contribute is purely backshoulder fade type passes? I don't know, not sure I see him as a potential upgrade over Duke and I'm not sure Duke is even good enough to make the team this year.

 

Edited by DCOrange
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

I'd be interested in picking Hodgins up in like the 6th round or something like that. Hands/ball skills are obviously very good, but he didn't test very well and that shows up big time in his tape. He has a really hard time getting any separation. I'm not really convinced he can stick on an NFL roster. If we want a WR in the 4th-5th round I think the value is in getting another guy that's kinda similar to the guys we already have (which may or may not be a bad thing). Bryan Edwards would be a more unique fit for us and he might be available in that range. Beyond him though, I'd be looking at Devin Duverney, John Hightower, James Proche, and Kalija Lipscomb. Hightower is a deep threat while the other 3 are underneath guys (Duverney winning with speed and the other two just winning with precision).

Man, Proche is such a hard guy for me to gauge. For the volume of catches the dude had, to only have four games over 100 yards. Seems like an ideal, death by a million paper cuts type of player.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BillsFan17 said:

Man, Proche is such a hard guy for me to gauge. For the volume of catches the dude had, to only have four games over 100 yards. Seems like an ideal, death by a million paper cuts type of player.

Yeah, he seems like the kind of guy that in past years would have ended up in New England and just killed you underneath. Not sure if they go with a different approach now that Brady is gone but we'll see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Somewhat due to the depth of the WR position in this Draft and somewhat based on the relative age of two of Buffalo's top 3 WRs, I could see the Bills Drafting two WRs in the Draft: one in the 3rd and one in the 5th, given the rest of the roster. I could also see the Bills goin back to back for WR in subsequent rounds in 4 and 5.....either way, I think this crop of WRs is just too good to pass up on getting a very good one somewhere between 2 and 4. JMO....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 still might take one in the 2nd or 3rd round as insurance against Brown leaving after next year...always got to be looking a year or two down the line...hopefully get a young guy now and let him develop so he is ready when Brown leaves or declines

Jauan Jennings might be nice add if we can get him in the mid rounds...

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

 still might take one in the 2nd or 3rd round as insurance against Brown leaving after next year...always got to be looking a year or two down the line...hopefully get a young guy now and let him develop so he is ready when Brown leaves or declines

Jauan Jennings might be nice add if we can get him in the mid rounds...

 

I was going to mention in my first reply that I might lean towards Jennings in the 6th over Hodgins as well. Like Hodgins, he struggles big time to separate; he's an absolute load to tackle after the catch though which might give him a better chance at surviving in the NFL than Hodgins.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

 still might take one in the 2nd or 3rd round as insurance against Brown leaving after next year...always got to be looking a year or two down the line...hopefully get a young guy now and let him develop so he is ready when Brown leaves or declines

Jauan Jennings might be nice add if we can get him in the mid rounds...

Still got my fingers crossed for this one

Image result for chase claypool gif

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...