Do the Patriots have a bottom 5 roster?

8 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I’ll get flamed for saying it but I like those odds for Miami....

Me too...I took the Bills at +800 last year. I didn’t necessarily think that the Bills would win the division but at 8:1 I thought that the value was there. I don’t like Miami to win the division. I like Miami at 6 and 1/2 to 1 though.

16 hours ago, CommonCents said:

Same. I wonder what the odds for the division look like or if odds even exist until life begins again.

The Pats remain a SLIGHT favorite. -110, which is still a pretty big favorite when you consider they're competing against 3 teams. Of course the Jets don't look great at the moment and the Dolphins are the Dolphins. While -110, meaning bet 110 to win 100 is by far the lowest the Pats have been in YEARS, they're still favorites in Vegas.

Bills are not surprisingly the second favorite at around +175(bet 100 to win 175)

Either way, they still have the Pats favored and I get it. Does not mean the Bills won't win the division! Just means as long as BB is around, Vegas will not discount the Pats.

12 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

That’s fair on the OL but how much of the OL came from Brady? His pre-snap reads and quick throws certainly aided them. They may be okay but it isn’t going to matter if Stidham/Hoyer is back there. That’s especially true with their schedule.

New England  +100

Bills +180

Miami +650

Jets +750

These are the most recent that I have seen but there is some variance. 

Better than my convoluted answer. Slightly different odds than I've seen, but pretty close.

And I would hate to see this happen, but the Jets at plus 750 is pretty good "value" whatever that means. If somehow Darnold stops seeing ghosts, you never know. Week to week and year to year league.

Edited by LSHMEAB

On 3/24/2020 at 8:36 PM, GunnerBill said:

No.

Their defensive backfield is still elite and if they can keep their guys healthy their offensive line is good. 

Bottom 10, yea I could get myself there. At the moment they have the worst Quarterback room in the NFL. 

So you hijack a thread to hedge 2.5 spots? Way to hang it out there, GB.

16 hours ago, BigBillsFan said:

You guys all underestimate the 13th man (refs) and the 14th man (the league).

They have stolen data about teams, they get away with holding constantly, mugging by their CBs, and pick plays and push-offs with their WRs and TEs.

They are the only team that's made me want to quit watching football because of the sham. How they can video tape another team and not be ban the owners, coach and Tommy Hero is beyond me.

00A80EF1-F175-44CC-9C99-0064C3B4B222.jpeg

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

That’s fair on the OL but how much of the OL came from Brady? His pre-snap reads and quick throws certainly aided them. They may be okay but it isn’t going to matter if Stidham/Hoyer is back there. That’s especially true with their schedule.

That O-line in 2018 was excellent in run blocking. They are a good solid well coached unit. Even in 2019 when they were extremely banged up they still graded out better than average. I agree Brady does call the right protections but I think overall they are a good unit esp when healthy. Their biggest weaknesses are the receiving options (esp if Sanu is shot and they can't get Harry going) and their QB. But the rest of the team is good to solid. 

Edited by billsfan89

Belichick is too good of a coach for the talent on the roster to make that much of a difference. Unfortunately I still expect them to win 10 to 13 games and take the division crown, God I hope I’m wrong

4 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

That O-line in 2018 was excellent in run blocking. They are a good solid well coached unit. Even in 2019 when they were extremely banged up they still graded out better than average. I agree Brady does call the right protections but I think overall they are a good unit esp when healthy. Their biggest weaknesses are the receiving options (esp if Sanu is shot and they can't get Harry going) and their QB. But the rest of the team is good to solid. 

Scarnecchia retired so the OL coaching will change. He was a fantastic coach.

I wouldn’t call their front 7 good either. They’re average at best IMO.

9 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Agree on the front 7. Some big losses there. Shelton, Collins and Van Noy this year, Malcolm Brown and Tre Flowers last year. That is serious talent walking out of the door. 

Hightower can still play but is just turned 30 and increasingly nicked up and alongside him at linebacker there is not much left.

Up front I think Beau Allen is exactly the sort of low profile FA that Belichick excels with and he had a sneaky good couple of years with Tampa but beyond that they have added nothing. They have some "potential" at edge - Winovich and Calhoun were both guys I liked as mid round players coming out and Derek Rivers is still there if they can ever get him healthy.... but that feels a bit like a wing and a prayer without major additions. 

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Dave Allen said:

Bottom 10, easy.  Possibly bottom 5.

Problem is Belichick. Dude doesn't have enough sense or courtesy to suck, even when common sense says he should. Even with a bottom-5 roster, I wouldn't put it past him to whip the Pats to 8 wins. Maybe more. 

If McDermott can get 6 wins out of the Bills 2018 team then Belichick can get 8+ out of his current motley crew. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

The Patriots are well coached all around. But I do agree Scarnecchia was a big part of their system but their O-line has good players. Tuney was an All-Pro Guard, Marcus Cannon a Pro-Bowl Caliber tackle, and Shaq Mason who is a quality guard. That O-line will still be a solid unit if fairly healthy. Their front 7 almost always looks meh but Billy B always manufactures quality play out of them. I also think the Pats having 4 picks in the top 100 in the draft is going to be key for them. I see them drafting a TE at pick 23 and then using their next 3 picks to add another WR and then a couple of front 7 players. 

9 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

The Patriots are well coached all around. But I do agree Scarnecchia was a big part of their system but their O-line has good players. Tuney was an All-Pro Guard, Marcus Cannon a Pro-Bowl Caliber tackle, and Shaq Mason who is a quality guard. That O-line will still be a solid unit if fairly healthy. Their front 7 almost always looks meh but Billy B always manufactures quality play out of them. I also think the Pats having 4 picks in the top 100 in the draft is going to be key for them. I see them drafting a TE at pick 23 and then using their next 3 picks to add another WR and then a couple of front 7 players. 

I agree on the oline. They have really good football players up there. Yes Scarnecchia is a loss but they have players there. They don't, on paper have players on that front 7. Can Bill coach up some of what they have? Maybe. But will need to be one hell of a coaching job. And their number 1 need is a Quarterback. They have to find a way to make some room and get Andy Dalton in the building IMO. He could play in their scheme (not sure Cam could) and he would put them in contention for a playoff spot - though they'd still be outsiders rather than favourites.

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I agree on the oline. They have really good football players up there. Yes Scarnecchia is a loss but they have players there. They don't, on paper have players on that front 7. Can Bill coach up some of what they have? Maybe. But will need to be one hell of a coaching job. And their number 1 need is a Quarterback. They have to find a way to make some room and get Andy Dalton in the building IMO. He could play in their scheme (not sure Cam could) and he would put them in contention for a playoff spot - though they'd still be outsiders rather than favourites.

That’s kind of been my point throughout. They can be a playoff team but they aren’t just going to be 11-5 because of the uniform. That’s what I’m arguing with people. We are saying, “that’s one of the worst rosters in football but they will win 10+ games against the toughest schedule in football because they will.” That’s not a reasonable argument.

Belichick is amazing and will lead them to a better record than he should. If they don’t do something about QB that record is probably 6-10. That team just isn’t good. They have picks, BB and could add a QB. They don’t have a good cap situation and outside of Gilmore they don’t have stars. They lost a few of their best defensive players as well. The Pats have a chance to be okay but they aren’t just going to be good because they’re the Pats.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I agree they need a QB badly but their cap is just horrid. I think Billy B could sign Winston as a stop gap project for cheap. Dalton is expensive and costs a pick or two. They could restructure a deal or two and sign Tuney to a long term deal that is backloaded to free up some space but they won't have much more than 15ish million to work with.

But the Pat's will be more competitive than people think.