Rams cut Gurley to Atl 1yr $5M

He’s got a bloated contract and a bum knee, No Thank you!!! We already went this route with McCoy and what did we win with McCoy?? ZERO!!! Would rather take my chances with Gordon who’s a free agent as opposed to trading draft picks for a RB who looked done last year

Edited by BuffaloBills1998

That Rams roster is a mess. The top 10 cap hits on that roster add up to nearly 72% of their cap (compare that to the Bills whose top 10 contracts add up to 42% of the cap) even if you take off Goff that roster's top 9 still eat up 55% of their cap (which is still pretty bad for just 9 contracts.) That along with the team being low on draft picks (no first this year and next year along with missing some other late round picks) is probably going to lead them to be pretty mediocre unless they can unload Gurley and possibly Cooks. They really should have avoided paying Goff for as long as possible and not extended Gurley. Cooks at least is a positive player. Not having Goff and Gurley on massive deals would have given them the chance to sustain winning a lot longer. 

Edited by billsfan89

1 hour ago, DCOrange said:

I'm fine with a short-term deal if he gets cut.

Looks like the Rams are starting to feel the pain of giving Goff the contract they did.

Goff is getting paid what QBs get paid. That contract is fine

It the lack of cheap picks they have. They have to pay guys like Ramsey and they are out of money and n cheap high picks to replace them. They had an opportunity for sustained success and blew it. Gonna be 8-8 for a long time now

The Rams will have to attach their own draft picks to dump Gurley.  Nobody outside of O’Brien is trading assets for Gurley’s contract.  Trading instead of cutting Gurley saves Rams $7.5m in cap space.  My guess is they cut him by tomorrow and eat the cap space.  They don’t have a lot of draft picks and everybody’s gonna want at least a 3rd round pick to take on his contract.  

I believe his contract is really only like 4-6mil per year. New team isnt responsible for bonuses. I could be way wrong. But i think its not some

bloated mess people think it is. 

im with alphadawg on this. The rams

changed the way they used him. Him and devin on a rbbc would be a huge boost imo

7 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

It the lack of cheap picks they have. They have to pay guys like Ramsey and they are out of money and n cheap high picks to replace them. They had an opportunity for sustained success and blew it. Gonna be 8-8 for a long time now

The Gurley contract is the bigger killer. If they didn't have that kind of money committed to him it would at least give them some flexibility to spread that 17 million around to 3 or 4 different players and add some depth to their roster. But Goff is still not helping that roster very much at all sitting on a 36 million dollar cap hit while they pay a DT 25 million and a WR/RB combo 34 million (Gurley and Cooks.)

Just now, billsfan89 said:

The Gurley contract is the bigger killer. If they didn't have that kind of money committed to him it would at least give them some flexibility to spread that 17 million around to 3 or 4 different players and add some depth to their roster. But Goff is still not helping that roster very much at all sitting on a 36 million dollar cap hit while they pay a DT 25 million and a WR/RB combo 34 million (Gurley and Cooks.)

I agree his cap number isn't great but Goff would be getting that much money on most teams in the league. He's been good to excellent in his time with McVay

They have to slash salaries somewhere, Gurley makes the most sense especially considering his production the last few years

Just now, Captain Hindsight said:

I agree his cap number isn't great but Goff would be getting that much money on most teams in the league. He's been good to excellent in his time with McVay

They have to slash salaries somewhere, Gurley makes the most sense especially considering his production the last few years

The problem is cutting Gurley only frees up about 5 million for them. That's not insignificant but it is 12 million they are eating that could have gone elsewhere to sure up their depth or retain a better player. I could easily see the Rams winning 6-8 games the next two years while they try and handle adjusting their roster around that Goff contract. 

1 minute ago, billsfan89 said:

The problem is cutting Gurley only frees up about 5 million for them. That's not insignificant but it is 12 million they are eating that could have gone elsewhere to sure up their depth or retain a better player. I could easily see the Rams winning 6-8 games the next two years while they try and handle adjusting their roster around that Goff contract. 

If they are smart, they give him a huge signing bonus and just convert that to cap space. Saints do it all the time

15 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

If there were ever a team that was set up to succeed no matter who the QB was, it was the Rams. Instead, they gave Goff the richest contract a QB had ever received and sacrificed their OL and are now contemplating sacrificing their WRs and RBs as well so that they can continue paying Goff.

Being stuck in the middle of the QB world is the worst spot to be in because you end up paying for an elite QB without actually having one.

8 minutes ago, 808 said:

I believe his contract is really only like 4-6mil per year. New team isnt responsible for bonuses. I could be way wrong. But i think its not some

bloated mess people think it is. 

im with alphadawg on this. The rams

changed the way they used him. Him and devin on a rbbc would be a huge boost imo

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/los-angeles-rams/todd-gurley-16734/

His contract is awful.  $7.5m roster bonus is already fully guaranteed this year but hasn’t been paid yet.  His $5.5m base salary and 2021 roster bonus of $5m become fully guaranteed tomorrow. Whoever trades for him is taking on $18m in guarantees.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

I dont think they have a first for the next 20 years.

Although I wouldn't be surprised if the Bills were interested. When Healthy Gurley is a great player. With our health facilities, they may be willing to roll the dice

We have top sports docs that people fly in to see in Buffalo? 

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I've seen him hit a few before anyone else reported them. Jefferson to the Bills was one example. I'm guessing his source is an agent's office so he won't always know everything. But he seems to know who is interested.

I guess they lost their "all-in" bet.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Magox said:

I guess they lost their "all-in" bet.

So true. That Ramsey trade kills them. No first rounders for a while. The Gurley deal is what it is. They had to pay him, but kind of backed themselves into a corner. I wonder if people with still see McVay as a genius, or is he just the next McDaniels?