Justin Jefferson should be our WR target at 22

DJB

29 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Yeah seriously.

Have to ? at the “he’s not a WR1” stuff...exactly which ‘Bama WR was the WR1?

Well, in this year's "Iron Bowl" with Auburn--the best college game I saw all season--it was...Waddle (although Ruggs wasn't that far behind)...

https://www.espn.com/college-football/boxscore?gameId=401110865

To me Jefferson projects as a high end slot guy. Which, let's be honest a lot of players have made very strong careers lining up as a slot. The position has evolved. To be honest, if the kid ends up massively productive as just that, a slot, are we really going to gripe?

Especially with how Daboll has helped Josh in the short to intermediate game. Yes, we want that dynamic homerun threat, but having a sure handed, nifty route runner who is going to move the chains and be a redzone mismatch, I'll take that all day.

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, BillsFan17 said:

To me Jefferson projects as a high end slot guy. Which, let's be honest a lot of players have made very strong careers lining up as a slot. The position has evolved. To be honest, if the kid ends up massively productive as just that, a slot, are we really going to gripe?

Especially with how Daboll has helped Josh in the short to intermediate game. Yes, we want that dynamic homerun threat, but having a sure handed, nifty route runner who is going to move the chains and be a redzone mismatch, I'll take that all day.

This guy has it figured out.

Josh Allen is at his best throwing lasers in the 10-20 yard range. A deep threat WR won’t fix Josh’s deep ball accuracy as much as some want to believe. Josh would be best served having a couple receivers who can find space in the intermediate range and make a contested catch. That’s what Jefferson does best.

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, DCOrange said:

Just curious what your WR rankings are since you and I seem to see things pretty similarly in general. I think we view Jefferson mostly the same way but I'd still be willing to consider him in the first round. Not my preferred choice but I think he's worth considering based on who will likely be available at 22.

My receiver rankings are 

#1 Jeudy

#2 Lamb

#3 Ruggs

- - - - 

#4 Higgins

#5 Aiyuk

#6 Reagor

#7 Hamler

#8 Jefferson

#9 Shenault

#10 Mims

- - - -

#11 Pittman

#12 Claypool

I'd consider Jefferson at the end of the first if I was a team like Green Bay or New Orleans who are looking for a running mate. If I was a team looking for someone who could be a main dog and play primarily outside (which is I think where the Bills are) then Jefferson wouldn't be for me in the first.

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The annual fall in love with a WR because he looked great the one game you saw him play thing

The greatest NFL  players have rarely come out of top programs....

This is so cute and sweet and laughable every year

31 minutes ago, row_33 said:

The annual fall in love with a WR because he looked great the one game you saw him play thing

top 10 wr's in yards all went to big programs except for golladay-northern illioois, and cooper kupp eastern washington. dj moore went to maryland.  rest were, lsu, penn st, bama, ohio st, etc.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

My receiver rankings are 

#1 Jeudy

#2 Lamb

#3 Ruggs

- - - - 

#4 Higgins

#5 Aiyuk

#6 Reagor

#7 Hamler

#8 Jefferson

#9 Shenault

#10 Mims

- - - -

#11 Pittman

#12 Claypool

I'd consider Jefferson at the end of the first if I was a team like Green Bay or New Orleans who are looking for a running mate. If I was a team looking for someone who could be a main dog and play primarily outside (which is I think where the Bills are) then Jefferson wouldn't be for me in the first.

Swap Jefferson and Higgins and draw a tier between 7 and 8 and those are my rankings.

• Like (+1) 1

Watched the highlights... not really that impressed. Too little separation, just wait until he faces NFL corners every week. From what Beane said, Ruggs is the only guy that could come anywhere close to fitting their Tyreek Hill description. After watching the video available on the receivers this year, I don’t think any of them project to the NFL (and as receivers to compliment Allen specifically) as well as AJ Brown and DK Metcalf did last year. Beane and scouting really blew it by passing on those guys who were gift wrapped for us in round 2 last year. They would be like having 2 #1 receivers, paired with Brown and Beasley.

Is Ruggs even as good as Hollywood Brown?

This has the feeling of the year we drafted Manuel because we were dead set on going QB. Although WR is definitely our biggest need, I’d start looking at other positions.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Troll Toll said:

Watched the highlights... not really that impressed. Too little separation, just wait until he faces NFL corners every week. From what Beane said, Ruggs is the only guy that could come anywhere close to fitting their Tyreek Hill description. After watching the video available on the receivers this year, I don’t think any of them project to the NFL (and as receivers to compliment Allen specifically) as well as AJ Brown and DK Metcalf did last year. Beane and scouting really blew it by passing on those guys who were gift wrapped for us in round 2 last year. They would be like having 2 #1 receivers, paired with Brown and Beasley.

Is Ruggs even as good as Hollywood Brown?

This has the feeling of the year we drafted Manuel because we were dead set on going QB. Although WR is definitely our biggest need, I’d start looking at other positions.

This can’t be a serious post

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

Michael Thomas- OSU

Julio Jones- 'Bama

ODB- LSU

Hopkins- Clemson

Keenan Allen- Cal

Robinson- Penn State

Boyd- U of Pitt.

Robert Woods- USC

Godwin- PSU

All-in-all, I too would stay away from the big schools when looking for WRs. 

That being said, sarcasm aside Rhode Island has a kid Isaiah Coulter that could be a big time sleeper.

17 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

What happened to Shenault? A few weeks ago he was the guy (even though I’d never heard of him). Now he’s hardly mentioned even in later rounds. 

He’s viewed as a Round 2 guy now after his disappointing 40 time, skipping the other drills, and getting surgery. 

1 hour ago, thebandit27 said:

This can’t be a serious post

I’m serious. If I were in Beane’s position, the only receivers I would be looking at are:

1) CeeDee Lamb (Round 1)

2) Tee Higgins (Round 2)

3) Brandon Aiyuk (Round 2)

4) Laviska Shenault (Round 3)

These guys would make the Bills better. 

That said, none of these guys are the matchup nightmare for CBs that AJ Brown and DK Metcalf are. CeeDee Lamb will likely be gone by the Bills pick, but I would be hard pressed to trade up for him. I think the Bills will either have to go a different direction Round 1 or trade back to get real value.

As for the other receivers I take off the board:

Jeudy - his running style is a knee injury waiting to happen

Ruggs - I question his production and his completeness as a receiver. He seems to be somewhere between Hollywood Brown and Parris Campbell in terms of ability. 

Hamler - too small 

Jefferson - lack of separation 

Reagor - inconsistent / disappears

Claypool / Pittman / Mims - unimpressive on tape