2020 NFL Combine

YoloinOhio

39 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...interesting....was reading a mock yesterday where they had him pegged as a 3rd or 4th rounder......realistic or way off base?..........

He’s been pegged as a late 2nd or 3rd pick during the season. He shined during practices at the Senior Bowl and lit up the Combine.

About a month ago, no lie I saw a mock draft that had the Bills selecting him at 22. I thought no way, but after the last month or so, after his combine I definitely think it’s more realistic. His only knock is some say he’s not physical enough. 

I went to the Senior Bowl practices in person. Every 50/50 ball he came down with. He should gain more of the hand use physical part as he enters the league.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, CEN-CAL17 said:

He’s been pegged as a late 2nd or 3rd pick during the season. He shined during practices at the Senior Bowl and lit up the Combine.

About a month ago, no lie I saw a mock draft that had the Bills selecting him at 22. I thought no way, but after the last month or so, after his combine I definitely think it’s more realistic. His only knock is some say he’s not physical enough. 

I went to the Senior Bowl practices in person. Every 50/50 ball he came down with. He should gain more of the hand use physical part as he enters the league.

...not sure of the site's validity, but here is where I saw 3rd/4th projections.............

https://www.draftsite.com/nfl/player/denzel-mims/30133/

1 hour ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...not sure of the site's validity, but here is where I saw 3rd/4th projections.............

https://www.draftsite.com/nfl/player/denzel-mims/30133/

His route running leaves a fair amount of room for improvement. He tends to be inconsistent, get high,  round off routes, etc. It’s going to take some work to fix that, and I’m not sure if he has enough suddenness to really excel at all the routes. That coupled with Baylor’s route tree means he probably won’t start day 1 like some of the other options. He will contribute though. He has a round 1 ceiling with a lower floor. I had him pegged as late second to mid third before the senior bowl. As much as I love how he high points the ball, what really jumped out to me is how aggressively he blocks play side. He’s not a great blocker, however the attitude is there and he’ll attack a corner like a dog. Out of all the receivers I like his game as a match for Allen.... Yes, he can get deep, but his catch radius, how he boxes out DBs, and catches that back shoulder fade make him perfect for the intermediate area of the field.

• Like (+1) 1

First off, I have NOT read this entire thread so perhaps it’s been discussed elsewhere: if so, apologies.  

The combine is NOT prime time viewing in my opinion. To make it so they will need to look at pitting people against one another (the most simple example would be two people running the 40 simultaneously). 

I appreciated some of it but most was painful. Just my opinion. ? 

1 hour ago, TroutDog said:

First off, I have NOT read this entire thread so perhaps it’s been discussed elsewhere: if so, apologies.  

The combine is NOT prime time viewing in my opinion. To make it so they will need to look at pitting people against one another (the most simple example would be two people running the 40 simultaneously). 

I appreciated some of it but most was painful. Just my opinion. ? 

It’s just something for football fans to debate on........... the combine.

The combine does NOTHING to sway my opinion on players, as players in shorts going up against air doesn’t mean a damn thing.

For example, how many times is player going to run 40 yards down the field unimpeded in his entire career?

Game tape and a players translation to the NFL is all that matters.

15 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...interesting....was reading a mock yesterday where they had him pegged as a 3rd or 4th rounder......realistic or way off base?..........

The talk going around right now is that he's locked himself in as a 2nd rounder. You never really know though; there's so many good WRs in this class that it widens these guys' potential draft range a lot. Teams can like Mims a lot and still have 10-15 WRs ahead of him in this class.

• Like (+1) 1

Mims is my case for trading down.  If Jeudy, Lamb, oline, and Chaisson are off board, we can trade down, add a 2nd rounder(Mims).  We still would have a 1st and 2nd to go let's say RB(Swift) and WR(Claypool).  That's 3 added added play makers that elevate offense.  We replace Gore with Swift.  And we replace Foster and McKenzie with Mims and Claypool

The Bills will be in the market for pass rush help, especially if Shaq Lawson leaves in FA.  

I know that 40 time does not necessarily predict pass rush ability, but once you get past Chase Young and Chaisson there are not any speedy 4-3 DEs.  Perhaps Yetur Gross-Matos will run fast (declined to workout at combine), but after that you are looking at guys who run 4.9/5ish 40 yard dashes.  For comparison, Shaq Lawson ran 4.7 and one of this board's favorite whipping boys when he played here - Chris Kelsay ran 4.75 at the combine.

Again, I completely understand that straight line speed for a DE isn't the end-all for pass rush ability.  This doesn't mean that they can't find a competent pass rushing 4-3 DE early in the draft - maybe guys like AJ Epenesa or Bradle Anae can be more productive than their speed suggests, but I think the Bills should be looking to re-sign Shaq Lawson and supplement him with a draft choice rather than trying to replace him with a draft pick.

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

My guess if they'll replace him with a FA.

Clowney would be the big fish and a huge addition. If not him I hope they swing a trade for Campbell or sign Addison.

That would be nice, if possible.  Any trade for a starting DE is going to cost significant draft choices, thus diminishing what they can do in the draft.   

2 hours ago, Pete said:

Mims is my case for trading down.  If Jeudy, Lamb, oline, and Chaisson are off board, we can trade down, add a 2nd rounder(Mims).  We still would have a 1st and 2nd to go let's say RB(Swift) and WR(Claypool).  That's 3 added added play makers that elevate offense.  We replace Gore with Swift.  And we replace Foster and McKenzie with Mims and Claypool

Not bad. Really like all three of those picks. I'm not so high on Chaisson, but lots of folks appear to want him.

55 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

That would be nice, if possible.  Any trade for a starting DE is going to cost significant draft choices, thus diminishing what they can do in the draft.   

Not necessarily. I’ll bet they could get Calais Campbell for a day 3 pick.

5 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Not necessarily. I’ll bet they could get Calais Campbell for a day 3 pick.

That would be interesting.  Why such low cost for Campbell?  Is it because of his age and salary?

Edited by OldTimer1960

15 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Would you rather have a younger maybe still ascending Lawson with no trade required or 33 year old Campbell for more $ and have to trade a pick?

Campbell, no question.

I’m sure that I can find another 6.5-sack player in the draft by 2022. I’ll take Campbell for the next 2 years until then.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, thebandit27 said:

Campbell, no question.

I’m sure that I can find another 6.5-sack player in the draft by 2022. I’ll take Campbell for the next 2 years until then.

Other than an uncharacteristic uptick of 14 in 2017 and 10.5 in 2018, isn’t a 6.5 sack guy about what Campbell is?  He had 6.5 sacks last year for Jax.  I’d be a bit worried that he is on the downside of his career and that 2017-18 were the exception rather than the rule for his production.  That was a highly talented defense he played on.

Not arguing, but rather asking?

23 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

Mims is somewhere in between 2-3. His knock is consistency. Heard he drops some balls and is also more raw than others. He may go as high as top of second and as low as bottom of 4th but I doubt we get him with a 4th

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Other than an uncharacteristic uptick of 14 in 2017 and 10.5 in 2018, isn’t a 6.5 sack guy about what Campbell is?  He had 6.5 sacks last year for Jax.  I’d be a bit worried that he is on the downside of his career and that 2017-18 were the exception rather than the rule for his production.  That was a highly talented defense he played on.

Not arguing, but rather asking?

Well, I would say that Campbell has proven that he can hit big numbers, but I like him for more than just his sack numbers. He’s a sensational locker room guy, he is the best EDGE run defender in football (save for maybe Clowney), and you wouldn’t be tied to him for huge guarantees.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, thebandit27 said:

Well, I would say that Campbell has proven that he can hit big numbers, but I like him for more than just his sack numbers. He’s a sensational locker room guy, he is the best EDGE run defender in football (save for maybe Clowney), and you wouldn’t be tied to him for huge guarantees.

All positives that Bills’ decision makers believe are very important.  Thanks!

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, OldTimer1960 said:

All positives that Bills’ decision makers believe are very important.  Thanks!

No sweat. I like Shaq, but if I’m spending legit money on a DE I want someone that’s exceptional at something aside from run D.

• Like (+1) 1