Greg Olsen visiting Bills, Redskins, Seahawks

FluffHead

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm with this

Considering it's going to be a 1 year deal no matter what I don't care if we overpay. We aren't going to use all of our cap space this year anyway so if we overspend a couple million on Greg Olsen it won't have any consequences. It's not my money.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

I'm not irritated (your word, not mine) in bringing in Olsen, I don't see why he's needed.  What would Greg Olsen bring to the table at this point?  Additionally, Daboll hasn't shown that he really needs more than three TE's.

How bout 3 good ones?

6 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Considering it's going to be a 1 year deal no matter what I don't care if we overpay. We aren't going to use all of our cap space this year anyway so if we overspend a couple million on Greg Olsen it won't have any consequences. It's not my money.

exactly.  with the salary cap space we have it doesn't matter if we overpay on a guy like Olsen.  He would come in and help this team more than kroft did this year.  I don't hate kroft or anything but Olsen even at his age is clearly more of a threat on the field.

43 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I've warmed up to the idea of bringing Olsen here at the right price.  I've gotten past his age.  My only concern at this point is that he's obviously given retirement serious consideration.

I mentioned this in the Shoutbox yesterday (or the day before) and @Hapless Bills Fan reminded me of an old Marv Levy quote:  "If you say you plan to retire in two or three years, you've already retired."

That’s fair. But the dude is a pro’s PRO. If he’s signing a deal and getting paid for his services I think he understands what’s expected and I imagine he’d want to succeed. 

do we know he’s given it serious consideration or is that just what people assume? The guy got released and was lining up visits immediately. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

That’s fair. But the dude is a pro’s PRO. If he’s signing a deal and getting paid for his services I think he understands what’s expected and I imagine he’d want to succeed. 

do we know he’s given it serious consideration or is that just what people assume? The guy got released and was lining up visits immediately. 

Yeah, the more I look into it, the more the retirement option seems to be more speculation than anything that's actually come from him directly.

I absolutely agree that if he is to sign with someone that he'll show up to play.  If retirement really is in the back of his mind, though, the head and the heart could be at battle.

If it's a financially responsible short-term deal, I'm all for it.

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

How bout 3 good ones?

I'm all for having good players.  If the TE room looks like Olsen, Knox, and Sweeney, that is fine by me.

Not sure we need: Croom who is a development project that is taking a while; Kroft who isn't dependable due to health issues; Smith who is a holding penalty risk each snap he is on the field and is not dependable in passing situations downfield.

3 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

I'm not irritated (your word, not mine) in bringing in Olsen, I don't see why he's needed.  What would Greg Olsen bring to the table at this point?  Additionally, Daboll hasn't shown that he really needs more than three TE's.

Because we currently only have one TE that is worth a dam.

You’re happy with our current Tight Ends?  Olsen had almost double the catches and yard than Knox had last season and he had Kyle allen throwing him the ball.  He’s a the very least a huge upgrade at TE2, but more likely, he’s our TE1 unless we add someone better.

11 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

I'm all for having good players.  If the TE room looks like Olsen, Knox, and Sweeney, that is fine by me.

Not sure we need: Croom who is a development project that is taking a while; Kroft who isn't dependable due to health issues; Smith who is a holding penalty risk each snap he is on the field and is not dependable in passing situations downfield.

Well..you said you didn't know why Olsen would be needed.  Then you went on to explain why he is needed.

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

And you’re the one that asked the question “what would Olsen bring to the table at this point?”.  Then you answered your question without knowing it

Real answer:  he’s probably better than all of the TEs we currently have and at worst is an upgrade at TE2.  

Or we could just stay stagnant with the amazing TE we currently have ?

38 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Yeah, the more I look into it, the more the retirement option seems to be more speculation than anything that's actually come from him directly.

I absolutely agree that if he is to sign with someone that he'll show up to play.  If retirement really is in the back of his mind, though, the head and the heart could be at battle.

If it's a financially responsible short-term deal, I'm all for it.

I admit i too am coming around. But only because we cannot have a younger up and coming TE via FA. we know the names.

I am fine with losing Kroft Smith and Croom. and rebooting.

Olsen is surely a pro's pro as mentioned. But add another please.

If they think Kroft can step up, i can live with that.Keep him

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

And you’re the one that asked the question “what would Olsen bring to the table at this point?”.  Then you answered your question without knowing it

Real answer:  he’s probably better than all of the TEs we currently have and at worst is an upgrade at TE2.  

so does anyone think Kroft has more upside than what we saw last season?
Injury was my only concern when we picked him up. and he proved me correct asap. But his drop off in play was a bit surprising to me.

I would be good with Olsen and Kroft Knox Sweeney

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Maybe I did answer my own question without knowing it.  Knox and Sweeney have potential, so it seems they're worth keeping around as they're very young.  Not sure if we need Croom and Kroft since they've done nothing, and possibly not Smith.

8 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Maybe I did answer my own question without knowing it.  Knox and Sweeney have potential, so it seems they're worth keeping around as they're very young.  Not sure if we need Croom and Kroft since they've done nothing, and possibly not Smith.

Croom dating Pegula > talent

1 hour ago, Happy Gilmore said:

I see our tight end group as such-  

Knox-  solid prospect that could become a pro bowler is he improves his hands.

Sweeney-  solid option as a number 3.  Has shown he can make plays and has upside as a good number 2.  

no one else matters.

If we’re looking to win a super bowl we should absolutely be adding an upgrade at TE this offseason. Olsen is almost worst case scenario imo.   We have lots of cash and there are TEs available 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I see our tight end group as such-  

Knox-  solid prospect that could become a pro bowler is he improves his hands.

Sweeney-  solid option as a number 3.  Has shown he can make plays and has upside as a good number 2.  

no one else matters.

If we’re looking to win a super bowl we should absolutely be adding an upgrade at TE this offseason. Olsen is almost worst case scenario imo.   We have lots of cash and there are TEs available 

I think Sweeney has the potential for more then that

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I think Sweeney has the potential for more then that

I mean, most tight ends in the nfl has the potential to be an nfl starter.....I don’t think the difference between potential starter and a good a TE2 is very much.  If you think he can be a top 10 TE I think we’re reaching a bit.  

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

I mean, most tight ends in the nfl has the potential to be an nfl starter.....I don’t think the difference between potential starter and a good a TE2 is very much.  If you think he can be a top 10 TE I think we’re reaching a bit.  

No way I think he is a top 10 guy

Solid yes....dependable yes....well rounded yes

15 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

No way I think he is a top 10 guy

Solid yes....dependable yes....well rounded yes

No way? He was 12th amongst TEs in receiving yards last year per game, with Kyle Allen at QB. If he stays healthy, their is absolutely no doubt Olsen is a top 10 TE this year. 

Edited by BillsFan2313