The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

In Lombardia, the Italian region most covered by the infection, the regional government is asking the national government to shut down for two weeks public trasportation and all private companies. The national government is neglecting it for now, due to the power of Confindustria (the Association of Industry), but the thing can happen in the very next days.

An entire region (Milan included) can be completely shut down for two weeks.

58 minutes ago, keepthefaith said:

We have at least 100 rolls of TP here at the office so what a relief that is.   Still haven't figured out though why the masses need so much of it.  I haven't read that months of diarrhea is a symptom of this thing. 

Probably the thought is that if the virus hits their area they will want to avoid going to stores to buy things so they are stocking up on non-perishables.

2 hours ago, keepthefaith said:

We have at least 100 rolls of TP here at the office so what a relief that is.   Still haven't figured out though why the masses need so much of it.  I haven't read that months of diarrhea is a symptom of this thing. 

...went to Home Depot and bought 1,000 corks to stifle my urge in light of no TP............

• Haha (+1) 2

So much ignorance.  I apologize as this topic is a bit personal so if I am a bit reactionary again I apologize.  I hesitated as I will be sharing some personal messages but man some of you have your head buried in the sand.  Cut it out with the liberal media nonsense.  This is a worldwide issue.  Just because people aren't dying in huge numbers doesn't make it a big deal.  I have family that lives in Italy and these are some of the messages I got today.  Not from the media.  Not spin just a report from family that lives in a city of about 200k people.

The whole country is a redzone so we are all on lockdown.  There are strict rules about going out.  One person from the family can go grocery shopping, being careful to follow all safety precautions, maintaining safe distances etc.  All stores, shopping centers, grocery stores will be closed on weekends.  We can be outside but no gathering in large groups.  All masses or other church gatherings have been cancelled (my interjection - if you are familiar with Italy this is a giant deal).  Funerals will be private services family only. Absolutely no activities including soccer so practice and games have been cancelled.  Schools have set up for distance learning.  This is life until April 3.  We are hopeful that it will make a difference bc the city is critical and hospitals are past capacity.

It's now critical hospitals may have to start making a selection of who gets ICU care if people continue to get sick.  At this point I think if the US took these drastic measures now it would be preventative and proactive.

All of us in Italy underestimated the virus bc it is low risk.  The problem is it is highly contagious and the only thing we can do to fight it is to contain it.  The US and other countries have the advantage of looking at the situation and acting accordingly.  It's not a hoax it is serious.

Just because people aren't dying doesn't mean that it isn't a serious issue.  This is bigger than politics.  Take safety precautions and it won't get to the point of tons of people dying.  It is a GOOD thing to be cautious with this.  Lastly, please cut it out with the persecution complex that this is being done to get Trump out of office.  If he handles this right it could be a boon for him.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, section122 said:

So much ignorance.  I apologize as this topic is a bit personal so if I am a bit reactionary again I apologize.  I hesitated as I will be sharing some personal messages but man some of you have your head buried in the sand.  Cut it out with the liberal media nonsense.  This is a worldwide issue.  Just because people aren't dying in huge numbers doesn't make it a big deal.  I have family that lives in Italy and these are some of the messages I got today.  Not from the media.  Not spin just a report from family that lives in a city of about 200k people.

The whole country is a redzone so we are all on lockdown.  There are strict rules about going out.  One person from the family can go grocery shopping, being careful to follow all safety precautions, maintaining safe distances etc.  All stores, shopping centers, grocery stores will be closed on weekends.  We can be outside but no gathering in large groups.  All masses or other church gatherings have been cancelled (my interjection - if you are familiar with Italy this is a giant deal).  Funerals will be private services family only. Absolutely no activities including soccer so practice and games have been cancelled.  Schools have set up for distance learning.  This is life until April 3.  We are hopeful that it will make a difference bc the city is critical and hospitals are past capacity.

It's now critical hospitals may have to start making a selection of who gets ICU care if people continue to get sick.  At this point I think if the US took these drastic measures now it would be preventative and proactive.

All of us in Italy underestimated the virus bc it is low risk.  The problem is it is highly contagious and the only thing we can do to fight it is to contain it.  The US and other countries have the advantage of looking at the situation and acting accordingly.  It's not a hoax it is serious.

Just because people aren't dying doesn't mean that it isn't a serious issue.  This is bigger than politics.  Take safety precautions and it won't get to the point of tons of people dying.  It is a GOOD thing to be cautious with this.  Lastly, please cut it out with the persecution complex that this is being done to get Trump out of office.  If he handles this right it could be a boon for him.

I agree with you regarding the bolded. Pelosi, Schumer, other dems and the MSM are making it political though by criticizing the administration's effort. Trump and his team appear to have been on top of this as soon as it became apparent there was a problem. The dems think they can turn this into Trump's Katrina and are almost gleefully exploiting that. 

16 minutes ago, section122 said:

Sorry to hear this.  Saw something from an Italian Dr today who sounded crushed--they watch people die because they don't have the capacity to provide care. 

It will be very difficult for those who've argued that it's all a dem or media scare to climb back down from that and realize just how serious the situation is.  It took the stock market crash Monday to get Trump's attention.  This is the first week that I've seen the administration take it to a level of seriousness that was needed.  Hopefully the decisions that we are making here now, at the state level, will be enough to slow the spread so don't experience what is happening in Italy...

1 minute ago, TPS said:

Sorry to hear this.  Saw something from an Italian Dr today who sounded crushed--they watch people die because they don't have the capacity to provide care. 

It will be very difficult for those who've argued that it's all a dem or media scare to climb back down from that and realize just how serious the situation is.  It took the stock market crash Monday to get Trump's attention.  This is the first week that I've seen the administration take it to a level of seriousness that was needed.  Hopefully the decisions that we are making here now, at the state level, will be enough to slow the spread so don't experience what is happening in Italy...

Horseshit. Trump has been on this since at least January with shutting down our borders and putting a response team together. You're still on your "hoax" bs even though you know that it never was true. Now, if we get it under control it will be because of the states but if we have problems it will be because of Trump.