The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

1 hour ago, mjt328 said:

As Americans, I wish we could show more unity and grace in times like these - instead of this condescending/you are dumb and stupid attitude towards people with different viewpoints and opinions.

There are lots of people that are very concerned about this virus, and are worried about the death-toll it could take on the (especially elderly population) if steps aren't taken to slow-down the spread.  Health officials are the ones making these shut-down recommendations across the country.  Maybe they are looking at worse-case scenario.  But maybe that's not the wrong approach to take when it comes to people's lives.

At the same time, there are lots of people who are very concerned about how 8 weeks (maybe longer) of completely shutting down the country is going to devastate the economy/business owners/jobs/etc.  It's not about the inconvenience of losing the NBA playoffs or being stuck inside their homes with nothing to do but binge Netflix.  The long-term financial effects of this will likely be terrible on millions of families.

Furthermore, I wish we could just stop the political attacks.  For just a few weeks.  Please.  

I believe one of the main reasons (some) conservatives are taking this virus less seriously, is because the Democrats couldn't even wait 5 minutes before using it as ammo to attack the President.  It's absolutely pathetic and an absolute disgrace.  This virus is not ANY politicians fault, and it's clear that government officials are trying their best to protect citizens.  Even if we disagree on how quickly response times should be, or what methods are being used to keep people quarantined.  This is a situation that nobody could have been prepared for.  On the other side of the aisle, Trump himself needs to stop using every news conference as an opportunity to bash the Obama's response to H1N1.  Or why some of the above problems were due to the last administration.  The blame game needs to STOP NOW.  It's time for us to unify and move forward.  

Well said.

1 hour ago, mjt328 said:

Furthermore, I wish we could just stop the political attacks.  For just a few weeks.  Please.  

This virus is the Democrat's golden ticket to 2020 and there is no way they aren't going to promote panic and deaths to win in November. Blame is their game, and right now it's their Super Bowl.

But don't lose sight of what you can do to help and unite. 

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Bob in Mich said:

What is the point you are trying to make by displaying these numbers?  You aren't still beating the drum for 'no big deal' and 'total overreaction' due to current death numbers, are you?

If so, you did something similar a week or so ago....but with much smaller Covid-19 numbers.  Do you see that these numbers are growing rapidly?  Let me repeat, this outbreak is just beginning here.  When we look back on this in a couple of years, I think the final numbers will be tragically high.  But, I hope I am wrong...honestly I do.   Time will tell.

Of course you do...

1 minute ago, Bob in Mich said:

Care to explain that comment?

Go back and read through all of your posts and then think about what you just asked me.

If you still need an explanation, then there is no point in giving one...

5 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

Go back and read through all of your posts and then think about what you just asked me.

In other words, you don't even know what your own point was...

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

Uh, no.  I have 1500 posts.  If you have issues with something I posted, what are the issues?  Be specific please.  Which posts?

14 minutes ago, Bob in Mich said:

Uh, no.  I have 1500 posts.  If you have issues with something I posted, what are the issues?  Be specific please.  Which posts?

You constantly post histrionics straight from the MSM spigot, 99% of which turns out to be wrong. Then, rather than admitting you were wrong, you double down on idiocy like "WHERE ARE THE TAPES?!". 

You're a fool with a broken brain. And your posts contain weapons grade stupidity more often than not. 

Specific enough for you? 

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

You constantly post histrionics straight from the MSM spigot, 99% of which turns out to be wrong. Then, rather than admitting you were wrong, you double down on idiocy like "WHERE ARE THE TAPES?!". 

You're a fool with a broken brain. And your posts contain weapons grade stupidity more often than not. 

Specific enough for you? 

Hello Mr. Deep State! 

Politics aside, I really hope all my TBD and PPP friends are doing okay in terms of both personal health and economics.

With all of our disagreements and differences, we're all united as Bills fans (and you realize how rare and significant that is when you live isolated 6,000 miles away from your hometown team... the very rare times I see a Bills jersey or bumper sticker on island I always feel the need to strike up a conversation or at least give a shaka) and I hope everyone here is getting by all right since every single one of us is pretty clearly being impacted at this moment.

If we still find time in this forum to bicker, I assume and hope we're relatively okay, but much Aloha to all who are severely struggling.

And now, back to our regularly scheduled bickering. :thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Mitt Romney's on board with UBI

One Utah senator proposed Monday putting $1,000 into the pocket of every adult in the country to help ensure families and workers can pay their bills and shop during the coronavirus pandemic.

Sen. Mitt Romney offered the idea among several suggestions in a call for “urgent” action to provide economic relief for working Americans, ease the financial burden for students and protect health workers and patients.

Romney said the House coronavirus response package passed last week contains critical measures to help families in Utah and across the nation, and the Senate should act swiftly on the legislation. But, he said, more must be done.

“I will be pushing these measures as Senate discussions continue about an additional relief package,” he said.

Giving people cash during an economic crisis isn’t unprecedented. Congress took similar action during the 2001 and 2008 recessions, Romney said.

While expansions of paid leave, unemployment insurance and Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program benefits are crucial, the check will help fill the gaps for Americans that may not quickly navigate different government options, according to the Republican senator.

Also Monday, former Utah Gov. Jon Huntsman Jr. — a 2020 GOP candidate for governor — put out a list of recommendations to protect the state’s economy. Stimulating consumer spending and maintaining capital investment are among the key points.

“Whatever we do, we should keep consumer confidence high, even look for incentives that apply to travel, tourism, spending,” he said.

8 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Mitt Romney's on board with UBI

One Utah senator proposed Monday putting $1,000 into the pocket of every adult in the country to help ensure families and workers can pay their bills and shop during the coronavirus pandemic.

Sen. Mitt Romney offered the idea among several suggestions in a call for “urgent” action to provide economic relief for working Americans, ease the financial burden for students and protect health workers and patients.

Romney said the House coronavirus response package passed last week contains critical measures to help families in Utah and across the nation, and the Senate should act swiftly on the legislation. But, he said, more must be done.

“I will be pushing these measures as Senate discussions continue about an additional relief package,” he said.

Giving people cash during an economic crisis isn’t unprecedented. Congress took similar action during the 2001 and 2008 recessions, Romney said.

While expansions of paid leave, unemployment insurance and Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program benefits are crucial, the check will help fill the gaps for Americans that may not quickly navigate different government options, according to the Republican senator.

Also Monday, former Utah Gov. Jon Huntsman Jr. — a 2020 GOP candidate for governor — put out a list of recommendations to protect the state’s economy. Stimulating consumer spending and maintaining capital investment are among the key points.

“Whatever we do, we should keep consumer confidence high, even look for incentives that apply to travel, tourism, spending,” he said.

UBI is a whole different proposition than a one time shot in the arm to keep bill payers above water.  If the projections come true in terms of wage earners being out several weeks of pay then the 1,000 dollars will pay for the groceries for smaller households but not a lot else.  UBI would be in anticipation of a permanent shift in the economy in terms of jobs not coming back.  Will the connections permanently severe in a community in terms of jobs staffed by humans versus automation and most likely AI?

24 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

In other words, you don't even know what your own point was...

Wrong, but thanks for playing.

23 minutes ago, Bob in Mich said:

Throughout this thread, you have been a constant "worst case scenario" voice - it is what you do. The fact that you justify your dire predictions as just facing reality indicates just how internal your reality is, rather than based on the external world around you. You have no idea how this is going to play out, anymore than anyone else. Yet, you CHOOSE to take the default position that it will be catastrophic.

Voices like yours are what lead people to panic when they don't need to, and to do idiotic things like hoarding more supplies than they need - which serves only to keep others from getting what they need and generally creating more problems. 

There is a way to deal with this as a serious issue without the constant hand wringing and fear mongering that does nothing more than feed the panic.

Is that specific enough?

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, RochesterRob said:

UBI is a whole different proposition than a one time shot in the arm to keep bill payers above water.  If the projections come true in terms of wage earners being out several weeks of pay then the 1,000 dollars will pay for the groceries for smaller households but not a lot else.  UBI would be in anticipation of a permanent shift in the economy in terms of jobs not coming back.  Will the connections permanently severe in a community in terms of jobs staffed by humans versus automation and most likely AI?

I know that.  Government programs once started sometimes never cease though.  Would Jeff Bezos get $1,000?

All I've got to say is:  Tibs, GO F Yourself.

I'm doing all I can to make sure that my elderly mom is OK. Don't need idiots  like you to get me infected when I go out to shop for my mother.She caught pneumonia at the beginning of 2019 because of a bug I gave her and I thank  god she pulled through and is still around.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Wacka said:

All I've got to say is:  Tibs, GO F Yourself.

I'm doing all I can to make sure that my elderly mom is OK. Don't need idiots  like you to get me infected when I go out to shop for my mother.She caught pneumonia at the beginning of 2019 because of a bug I gave her and I thank  god she pulled through and is still around.

??