The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

We were told by POTUS not long ago, that we have 15 cases, and soon to be close to zero. Then we were told we don't have enough test kits. 3 days ago we had tested 11,000 people total, while South Korea were testing 10,000 a day. Then we were told this was a Democratic hoax to affect the election. Fox News downplayed it repeatedly so people under reacted, and now it is actually serious? We have watched how aggressively other nations have reacted and contained, yet we have understated, and even mocked it. You cannot make this up. And people wonder why it is so difficult to believe much of anything he has to say. Atta boy Trump.

"There are 15 cases going to zero very soon, like a miracle." - Dr. Don, the Con from Queens

March 13, 2020 at 9:32 a.m. EDT
When President Trump took office in 2017, the White House’s National Security Council Directorate for Global Health Security and Biodefense survived the transition intact.

Its mission was the same as when I was asked to lead the office, established after the Ebola epidemic of 2014: to do everything possible within the vast powers and resources of the U.S. government to prepare for the next disease outbreak and prevent it from becoming an epidemic or pandemic.

One year later, I was mystified when the White House dissolved the office, leaving the country less prepared for pandemics like covid-19.

The U.S. government’s slow and inadequate response to the new coronavirus underscores the need for organized, accountable leadership to prepare for and respond to pandemic threats.

In a health security crisis, speed is essential. When this new coronavirus emerged, there was no clear White House-led structure to oversee our response, and we lost valuable time.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/nsc-pandemic-office-trump-closed/2020/03/13/a70de09c-6491-11ea-acca-80c22bbee96f_story.html

Bolton defends decision to shutter NSC pandemic office

Former White House National Security Adviser John Bolton defended President Trump’s 2018 decision to shutter the National Security Council’s (NSC) office overseeing responses to pandemics, saying the move did not hinder the government’s response to the coronavirus. 

“Claims that streamlining NSC structures impaired our nation's bio defense are false. Global health remained a top NSC priority, and its expert team was critical to effectively handling the 2018-19 Africa Ebola crisis. The angry Left just can't stop attacking, even in a crisis,” Bolton tweeted Saturday morning.

“Well, I just think it’s a nasty question,” Trump fired back when asked about the closure. “I don’t know anything about it. I mean, you say we did that. I don’t know anything about it. Disbanding, no, I don’t know anything about it.”

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/487581-bolton-defends-decision-to-shutter-nsc-pandemic-office

• Like (+1) 1

I’ve heard and read an awful lot of closures and flattening the curve. I’ve seen the stock market tank. I’ve heard endless ramblings about the lack of testing. I’ve seen other countries on lock down. What I haven’t seen much about is how the US is actually doing when it comes to the spread of the disease. It serves to reason that if we know that something like 1% of the people who contract it die, then can’t you simply multiply the deaths (which HAVE TO be known) by 100 to get a decent approximation of how many have it? So....how are we doing? Is the curve flattening? 

Until they do mass testing this is still guessing. They can test for flu with sick people to eliminate that as being covid 19.

The problem is many people could have covid 19 with no symptoms and spread it to more at risk people.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, ALF said:

Until they do mass testing this is still guessing. They can test for flu with sick people to eliminate that as being covid 19.

The problem is many people could have covid 19 with no symptoms and spread it to more at risk people.

True...but you cannot hide the deaths. Seems like it would be pretty simple to do the math in reverse.

2 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I’ve heard and read an awful lot of closures and flattening the curve. I’ve seen the stock market tank. I’ve heard endless ramblings about the lack of testing. I’ve seen other countries on lock down. What I haven’t seen much about is how the US is actually doing when it comes to the spread of the disease. It serves to reason that if we know that something like 1% of the people who contract it die, then can’t you simply multiply the deaths (which HAVE TO be known) by 100 to get a decent approximation of how many have it? So....how are we doing? Is the curve flattening? 

You know who really flattened the curve?   China.  Apparently by locking down ONE province.   

You know which country hasn't seen virtually no new cases of the Wuhan virus, despite the virus being present in other provinces?  China.

You know which country leads the world in recovered cases, despite no known cure or vaccine?  China.

You know which country ended a lock down after one month and the spread magically stopped?  You guessed it.

How do the scientists explain the wide disparity of the Wuhan virus's effects in China, Europe and now USA?  Why do the brightest minds insist that this will linger for over a year, but China stopped it in 2 months, with a death rate far lower than Italy & Iran, the first major countries to be hit?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GG said:

You know who really flattened the curve?   China.  Apparently by locking down ONE province.   

You know which country hasn't seen virtually no new cases of the Wuhan virus, despite the virus being present in other provinces?  China.

You know which country leads the world in recovered cases, despite no known cure or vaccine?  China.

You know which country ended a lock down after one month and the spread magically stopped?  You guessed it.

How do the scientists explain the wide disparity of the Wuhan virus's effects in China, Europe and now USA?  Why do the brightest minds insist that this will linger for over a year, but China stopped it in 2 months, with a death rate far lower than Italy & Iran, the first major countries to be hit?

all of which presumes that we can believe China's reporting.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8121351/Legendary-NYC-fire-marshal-84-dies-Long-Island-hospital-complications-coronavirus.html?ito=push-notification&ci=10634&si=3155052

Legendary NYC fire marshal, 84, dies in Long Island hospital of complications from coronavirus

A beloved New York City fire marshal who investigated hundreds of fires and terrorist bombings, including the Fraunces Tavern bombing in 1975, died on Monday of complications from COVID-19.

John Knox died aged 84 at Mt. Sinai South Nassau Medical Center in Oceanside at 10am after a storied career as a marine, firefighter, fire marshall, and union leader. 

He already suffered from chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and reduced lung function from working at Ground Zero following the 9/11 terrorist attack.

A relative of a Buffalo Sabres employee recently tested positive for COVID-19 after attending a Sabres home game March 5, the team announced Tuesday morning.

According to the Sabres, the individual, who lives out of state and was asymptomatic at the time, sat in Section 211 for the game against the Pittsburgh Penguins.

The Sabres said the Erie County Department of Health advised the Sabres that based on CDC Guidelines the asymptomatic individual would likely not have been infectious during the game.

The individual is in isolation outside New York State, had limited interactions in a visit to Buffalo on March 5-6, and did not show any symptoms of COVID-19 until several days after leaving the state, according to the Sabres.

The Erie County Department of Health has advised people who think they may have been exposed to someone who has COVID-19 to self-monitor their health for symptoms (cough, fever, shortness of breath) during the 14-day period since potential exposure. Health officials have said that COVID-19 can be contagious even if carriers are asymptomatic.

1 hour ago, GG said:

China is able to lockdown an entire province and get everyone on board very quickly.  Italians are notoriously rebellious and that played a huge role in everyone contaminating the virus quickly.  

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, meazza said:

China is able to lockdown an entire province and get everyone on board very quickly.  Italians are notoriously rebellious and that played a huge role in everyone contaminating the virus quickly.  

There are 14K+ cases outside Wuhan, which is larger than any other country outside Italy & Iran.  Yet, virtually no new infections since the beginning of March, and recoveries outpacing infections.   That is not emblematic of a multiseasonal sustained pandemic.

The math doesn't add up.

10 minutes ago, meazza said:

When we left Spain we took a car to the airport. The driver told us that when the Italians said they were going to be locking down areas, they all flooded out of the country if they could. He said, "Holiday! Let's go to Spain!" then he chuckled, "The Italians are crazy." Anecdotal, but yes, generally people who lived under an -ism are adverse to listening to a government authority when it is "for your own good". 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, GG said:

There are 14K+ cases outside Wuhan, which is larger than any other country outside Italy & Iran.  Yet, virtually no new infections since the beginning of March, and recoveries outpacing infections.   That is not emblematic of a multiseasonal sustained pandemic.

The math doesn't add up.

What is your theory then?

Just now, meazza said:

What is your theory then?

At this point, I'd like to hear someone who's knowledgeable explain the anomaly in the numbers.   Then, I'll form a theory.

Absent the explanations, let your mind fly wild. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GG said:

At this point, I'd like to hear someone who's knowledgeable explain the anomaly in the numbers.   Then, I'll form a theory.

Perhaps they have a cure?

3 minutes ago, GG said:

i'm certainly not knowledgeable but just using past history as a guide, trusting the numbers put out by a communist regime is not a wise course to base a theory upon. not a slam GG, just saying the foundation would be suspect.

Edited by Foxx
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1