The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

Tokyo 2020 sponsor Toyota pulls Olympics TV ads in Japan as public support lags

Five days before the cauldron is lit, a new poll showed more evidence that the Japanese public opposes holding the Games in the country amid the Covid-19 pandemic.

Toyota said Monday it will not be airing TV commercials in Japan related to the Tokyo Olympics and neither the carmaker’s president nor other top executives will be attending the opening ceremony this week, as the Games continue to face a skeptical Japanese public.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/olympics/tokyo-2020-sponsor-toyota-pulls-olympics-tv-ads-public-support-n1274326

Screenshot_20210719-223839_Chrome.jpg

It was over 75K in May.

When the Olympics were full go.

Makes perfect sense.  

Edited by Big Blitz

3 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

No one has been able to do a good job of pinning the Delta surge on the non-vaxxed?

Why did Wall street blame the 700 pt down day on worries of Delta ?  

Covid-19 hospitalizations and deaths are increasing, and the vast majority were not vaccinated

The surge in Covid-19 cases fueled by the Delta variant and vaccine hesitancy has now led to increasing rates of hospitalizations and deaths.
Data from Johns Hopkins University shows: 

The average number of new Covid-19 cases each day the past week was 32,278. That's a 66% jump from the average daily rate the previous week, and 145% higher than the rate from two weeks ago.

-- An average of 258 Americans died from Covid-19 each day this past week -- up 13% from the rate of daily deaths the previous week. 

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/19/health/us-coronavirus-monday/index.html

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, ALF said:

Here Are The Biggest Groups That Are Still Refusing The Covid-19 Vaccine, Poll Finds   Jun 11, 2021

new polling analysis from the Kaiser Family Foundation shows that certain groups—including younger Americans and Republicans—are among the most likely to be declining the shot.

Nearly half of unvaccinated respondents were Republicans (49% versus 29% Democrats), as opposed to 31% of vaccinated respondents who identified as Republicans and 59% Democrats.

Both unvaccinated and vaccinated respondents were disproportionately likely to be white (56% unvaccinated versus 64% vaccinated), based in the suburbs (56% unvaccinated versus 52% vaccinated) and have health insurance (76% unvaccinated versus 88% vaccinated).

There were also discrepancies between unvaccinated respondents who said they would “definitely not” get the vaccine and those who just plan to “wait and see”: The “definitely not” group is overwhelmingly more white (70% of respondents), Republican (67%) and concentrated in the 30-49 age group (48%).

https://www.forbes.com/sites/alisondurkee/2021/06/11/here-are-the-biggest-groups-that-are-still-refusing-the-covid-19-vaccine-poll-finds/?sh=11825dc842cc

Eh.. not sure I put much credence into this poll…. Insofar as it throws around a bunch of cherry picked stats to come to a predetermined conclusion that white male republicans are the problem. 

First off, the whole “definitely not getting it” question… let’s be real, if you haven’t gotten it by now, you’re very likely not getting it. 

Second, anecdotal on my end for sure, but every guy my age that I know (30’s), has not, and is not, getting the vaccine.  That includes white, hispanic and black. 

If I had to guess, it’s men, ages 30-49, regardless of color or political affiliation, not getting the vax.  

Under 30 year olds seem to just do what they’re told..  and over 49 should be the ones strongly considering getting the vaccine. 

Edited by SCBills

The delta variant is hitting the younger population more and is more infectious.  The vaccines are incredibly effective and the risks of potential complications, myocarditis with the mRNA vaccines and blood clots with J&J, are extremely rare with around 5 cases per million, with the vast majority of these being non-fatal.  And the idea that there are long term risks to the vaccines is not supported by the history of vaccines that shows any side effects are found within weeks of widespread application.   The nonsense about things like microchips and the vaccines being gene therapy are just that- nonsense.  And all the data show that vaccinated people are at much less risk of contracting Covid and if they do, that their risk of death or significant illness is minuscule.

These are the actual facts.  Yet you have states like Tennessee actively trying to keep kids from getting not only the Covid vaccines, but any vaccines.  You have idiots like Carlson spewing nonsense.  There is only one logical conclusion:  they want people to die.  They would prefer people die so they can promote political nonsense.

Edited by oldmanfan
  • Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

Wait 2 weeks!

Screenshot_20210719-222417_Chrome.jpg

Yeah you’re the guy with 100 posts mocking the Delta variant as nothing to worry about. The UK is about 6-8 weeks ahead of us on their delta spread and will break their case record this week. Hospitalizations significantly up there. And they have a similar vax % as us.

But yeah, I’m sure things will be super different in the US. 

I don’t want any lockdowns, mask mandates or anything like that in this rise but unlike Chef Jim, I doubt we will be that lucky. We had the way to avoid this in our grasp and blew it. Old and immuno compromised people will die. Our health system will get bogged down more, again. The unvaccinated will breed more mutations. people including kids will get long Covid, affecting their nervous system over the long term. And for sure, our politicians will close schools and enact shutdowns that cause even more mental and physical health problems.

We will get through it but the worst aspects of this wave will have been largely avoidable. 

Edited by Sundancer
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

I see. So asking you to clarify your position is immature but you playing petulant little child and refusing is acting like an adult?

What color is the sky in your world counselor? 

Your gibberish is incomprehensible.  

10 hours ago, ALF said:

That's what covid did to most of the world , thank China

And Trump.  I'm still waiting for this to magically disappear. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1

13 hours ago, ALF said:

Trump supporters who refuse to get the vaccine has let the Delta variant get completely out of control . What a mess

Must be all those inner city Trump supporters who refuse to get the shot. 
What a mess.

36 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

Your gibberish is incomprehensible.  

I find the Chef’s gibberish quite prehensible, but I’m open-minded. 

36 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

45 spearheaded the charge to defeat the virus, while his opponents sowed seeds of doubt about the trustworthiness of the vaccine.  Open your heart. 

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

I find the Chef’s gibberish quite prehensible, but I’m open-minded. 

45 spearheaded the charge to defeat the virus, while his opponents sowed seeds of doubt about the trustworthiness of the vaccine.  Open your heart. 

Push whatever narrative you want I guess. We have an undervaccination problem and though we will persevere, it will result in easily avoidable deaths and suffering. 

1 hour ago, SectionC3 said:

Not even close. But nice try at the historical rewrite. Trump was the one who spearheaded the vaccine project that you now cling to! Yes, he was indeed trying to put on a good face for the American people, not wanting them to live in utter panic or fear; but behind the scenes he was working to fix the problem. Did your parents tell you everything that was going on in your house, at their job, etc? I’m guessing not. Don’t be an arse! 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Sundancer said:

Push whatever narrative you want I guess. We have an undervaccination problem and though we will persevere, it will result in easily avoidable deaths and suffering. 

No, we have an over infiltration problem in the Democratic Party. It’s being controlled by radical group of pro Marxist people who want to burn this country down.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Sundancer said:

What I offered is a matter of public record.  Trump’s critics certainly have fodder to focus upon, but he quite literally lead the campaign from “We have nothing for this virus” to delivery of a vaccine in an amazingly short period of time.   The partnership between public/private enterprise was exceptionally impressive, and you don’t have to rock a MAGA hat and dance in the sun under a Trump tent to acknowledge that.

I suppose if one is interested in carrying water for opponents like Cuomo, Harris and Biden, it’s possible to pretend their comments about vaccinating under a Trump admin had no impact on vaccine hesitancy.  That’s happened here before, when old friends here wanted to pretend  the tens of millions of vaccine hesitant liberals and Dems weren’t a thing.  It’s bs, of course, but there’s plenty of that to go around. 

7 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Not even close. But nice try at the historical rewrite. Trump was the one who spearheaded the vaccine project that you now cling to! Yes, he was indeed trying to put on a good face for the American people, not wanting them to live in utter panic or fear; but behind the scenes he was working to fix the problem. Did your parents tell you everything that was going on in your house, at their job, etc? I’m guessing not. Don’t be an arse! 

@Sundancer   This is how you do it!  Calm, rational analysis. 

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

What I offered is a matter of public record.  Trump’s critics certainly have fodder to focus upon, but he quite literally lead the campaign from “We have nothing for this virus” to delivery of a vaccine in an amazingly short period of time.   The partnership between public/private enterprise was exceptionally impressive, and you don’t have to rock a MAGA hat and dance in the sun under a Trump tent to acknowledge that.

Agreed 100%.

I suppose if one is interested in carrying water for opponents like Cuomo, Harris and Biden, it’s possible to pretend their comments about vaccinating under a Trump admin had no impact on vaccine hesitancy.  That’s happened here before, when old friends here wanted to pretend  the tens of millions of vaccine hesitant liberals and Dems weren’t a thing.  It’s bs, of course, but there’s plenty of that to go around. 

Agreed 100%.

@Sundancer   This is how you do it!  Calm, rational analysis. 

"Did your parents tell you everything that was going on in your house, at their job, etc? I’m guessing not."

This is not how I want my government run, and I suspect, neither do you. 

28 minutes ago, Bidens_basement said:

No, we have an over infiltration problem in the Democratic Party. It’s being controlled by radical group of pro Marxist people who want to burn this country down.

That's exciting and irrelevant. Get vaccinated and encourage others to do so. 

58 minutes ago, Bidens_basement said:

Send this message to the inner cities where the vaccination rate is in the mid 20 %. 
But yeah, it’s the evil white people that’s the problem. 😒😒😒

It's all of our problem. 

43 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Lysol.  The man tried to use Lysol to combat the virus.  That says it all.  Not a mask, not social distancing, not anything grounded in common sense.  Lysol.  

3 hours ago, Sundancer said:

Yeah you’re the guy with 100 posts mocking the Delta variant as nothing to worry about. The UK is about 6-8 weeks ahead of us on their delta spread and will break their case record this week. Hospitalizations significantly up there. And they have a similar vax % as us.

But yeah, I’m sure things will be super different in the US. 

I don’t want any lockdowns, mask mandates or anything like that in this rise but unlike Chef Jim, I doubt we will be that lucky. We had the way to avoid this in our grasp and blew it. Old and immuno compromised people will die. Our health system will get bogged down more, again. The unvaccinated will breed more mutations. people including kids will get long Covid, affecting their nervous system over the long term. And for sure, our politicians will close schools and enact shutdowns that cause even more mental and physical health problems.

We will get through it but the worst aspects of this wave will have been largely avoidable. 

Might want to check out the vaccination rates of the EU countries locking down before you pretend "we had the way to avoid this in our grasp"..... Once again, as it was before, we do have a way to avoid this..... Just.  Avoid.  This.  Stop simping the government and letting them dominate your life with fear. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, ALF said:

Why did Wall street blame the 700 pt down day on worries of Delta ?  

Covid-19 hospitalizations and deaths are increasing, and the vast majority were not vaccinated

The surge in Covid-19 cases fueled by the Delta variant and vaccine hesitancy has now led to increasing rates of hospitalizations and deaths.
Data from Johns Hopkins University shows: 

The average number of new Covid-19 cases each day the past week was 32,278. That's a 66% jump from the average daily rate the previous week, and 145% higher than the rate from two weeks ago.

-- An average of 258 Americans died from Covid-19 each day this past week -- up 13% from the rate of daily deaths the previous week. 

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/19/health/us-coronavirus-monday/index.html

what I want to know is… how many were young children who can’t get the vaccine yet?

Because, at the risk of sounding callous, everyone 12+ has had the opportunity for months now to get fully vaccinated (besides the extremely rare legit health reason).

Again, these numbers are interesting to keep an eye on, but they definitely should not precipitate any kind of shutdowns en masse like in March 2020.