The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

31 minutes ago, Warren Zevon said:

Probably the same since the #FakeVirus doesn't give much of a ***** about politics.

So whoever is the elected leader is will have zero effect on the outcome of the virus?

Can we quote you on that? 

4 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

So whoever is the elected leader is will have zero effect on the outcome of the virus?

Can we quote you on that? 

I said the virus doesn't give a ***** about politics. The leader can have a huge affect on that outcome depending on how seriously he or she takes it. See Merkel and Trump.

Neither DeSantis or Cuomo are leaders of the country.

Edited by Warren Zevon

2 minutes ago, Warren Zevon said:

I said the virus doesn't give a ***** about politics. The leader can have a huge effect on that outcome depending on how seriously he or she takes it. See Merkel and Trump.

Neither DeSantis or Cuomo are leaders of the country.

So the question was "I wonder what this place would look like if _____________had been elected"  and your answer is "probably the same". Now you're saying the leader can have a huge effect on the outcome (which I agree BTW).  But you just seem confused.....again. 

6 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

So the question was "I wonder what this place would look like if _____________had been elected"  and your answer is "probably the same". Now you're saying the leader can have a huge effect on the outcome (which I agree BTW).  But you just seem confused.....again. 

You're misrepresenting my position. "Probably the same" because neither DeSantis or Meth Man are leading the country. 

I think in a world where changing only that variable with everything else staying the same would not have much of an affect on the outcome of positives in Florida. I'd make the same argument for Newsome and CA.

The leader of the country has told us since day one the virus ain't much to worry about.

Edited by Warren Zevon

4 minutes ago, Warren Zevon said:

The leader of the country has told us since day one the virus ain't much to worry about.

Lie.

Hoax.

Same weak response................over and over.

9 minutes ago, Warren Zevon said:

You're misrepresenting my position. "Probably the same" because neither DeSantis or Meth Man are leading the country. 

I think in a world where changing only that variable with everything else staying the same would not have much of an affect on the outcome of positives in Florida. I'd make the same argument for Newsome and CA.

So in order for a leader to make a difference in the outcome of the pandemic he has to lead the country when most decisions on how to handle the pandemic are being made at the state level??  

#OrangeManBad at it's finest  

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Jaraxxus said:

I think you know the answer to that.

Ohio's governor (Dewine) should get the most credit out of anybody.  They did the best out of any Midwest or northeastern state considering their demographics when this thing first hit.  Stay at home orders in early March (faster than any other state and ahead of the federal recommendations).  They locked down nursing homes and allowed early release for some prisoners.  They also weren't in a hurry to open either so they avoided the spikes you're seeing in other states.  If he was a Democrat they'd be recommending him as Biden's replacement.

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, B-Man said:

I am Boy Man

46 minutes ago, Warren Zevon said:

Yes you are

Changing the words in my post.

and here I thought you about as low a coward as we have on the board.

I was right.

( do not bother with your repetitive "you mad bro" answer)  we already know that you can't do any better

:lol:

• Thank you (+1) 1

This is somewhat both fascinating and encouraging.

The bad news is that hospitalizations and for that matter ICU's are both going up at a pretty good clip.

However, Ventilator use is remarkably flat over the past 6 weeks.  And the deaths are flat to down.

https://www.click2houston.com/news/local/2020/06/16/this-dashboard-tracks-the-daily-hospital-capacity-for-general-icu-beds-in-the-houston-area/

It has to be a combination of both a younger demographic that is being infected and that Medical caregivers are using therapeutics that work better than what they had been using before.  Also, it could be because the virus is weakening as well, just saw that a health official from Broward county Florida make that claim.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Magox said:

This is somewhat both fascinating and encouraging.

The bad news is that hospitalizations and for that matter ICU's are both going up at a pretty good clip.

However, Ventilator use is remarkably flat over the past 6 weeks.  And the deaths are flat to down.

https://www.click2houston.com/news/local/2020/06/16/this-dashboard-tracks-the-daily-hospital-capacity-for-general-icu-beds-in-the-houston-area/

It has to be a combination of both a younger demographic that is being infected and that Medical caregivers are using therapeutics that work better than what they had been using before.  Also, it could be because the virus is weakening as well, just saw that a health official from Broward county Florida make that claim.

All true...and the REALLY SAD part is the media and the experts are not telling anyone anything anymore. I’d almost suggest that the President resume at least weekly briefings but that’ll turn into a clown show when that little Asian nitwit reporter starts peppering him with her racial victim nonsense again.

Edited by SoCal Deek
  • Like (+1) 1

..posted it before and will post it again NOT for recognition or tooting our company's horn......just a common sense approach to following Cuomo's Executive Orders and recommended steps by many as a NYS essential business  that has operated throughout.....180 Union electricians in the field and 35 admin employees in the corporate office....have spent thousands on masks, thermometers , sanitizing stations, major paperwork charting kits for our field leaders, cleanliness kits with MSDS sheets to sanitizing tools, limited corporate accessibility et al.....through today June 22, we have not had ONE Covid-19 case.....did we spend thousands of dollars to comply as to ensure the health and safety of our employees?...damn right....labor is my major commodity.....could we have been the proverbial "tough guy" as in "screw this, we're going on as normal"?.....to prove what?.....we have been compliant in every way possible resulting in zero cases.....my gut tells me that there is a segment in this society that chooses the "screw this crap...tough guy " approach   that adds to the cases, but with an unknown number of increases due to testing....the machos will always be the machos......probably some who have never washed their hands and won't start now........

15 minutes ago, Magox said:

It has to be a combination of both a younger demographic that is being infected and that Medical caregivers are using therapeutics that work better than what they had been using before. 

can you say Z-pack and zinc

10 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

..posted it before and will post it again NOT for recognition or tooting our company's horn......just a common sense approach to following Cuomo's Executive Orders and recommended steps by many as a NYS essential business  that has operated throughout.....180 Union electricians in the field and 35 admin employees in the corporate office....have spent thousands on masks, thermometers , sanitizing stations, major paperwork charting kits for our field leaders, cleanliness kits with MSDS sheets to sanitizing tools, limited corporate accessibility et al.....through today June 22, we have not had ONE Covid-19 case.....did we spend thousands of dollars to comply as to ensure the health and safety of our employees?...damn right....labor is my major commodity.....could we have been the proverbial "tough guy" as in "screw this, we're going on as normal"?.....to prove what?.....we have been compliant in every way possible resulting in zero cases.....my gut tells me that there is a segment in this society that chooses the "screw this crap...tough guy " approach   that adds to the cases, but with an unknown number of increases due to testing....the machos will always be the machos......probably some who have never washed their hands and won't start now........

have your competitors been ravaged by covid? 

what steps did they take?

2 hours ago, spartacus said:

your video explains a lot

it makes it clear that there are multiple variables, guesses, manipulations required before duplicating an RNA fragment 30-45 times to get a sample big enough to test

nothing could wrong there

It's probably a good idea to not look behind the curtain -

the video, however, failed to explain how much virus is  just enough to be deemed a positive result

There is some guessing in PCR when initially building an assay, you're right.  When designing primers for the target sequence you are attempting to amplify you have to try a few to see what pairs work best, but you are designing primers for specific conserved sequences of the viral genome.based on the known sequences. Once you get a good pair of primers in your assay design work then you have established a highly specific and sensitive test for detecting the pathogen of interest.  In the case of covid19 they are amplifying the region that encodes the nucelocapsid.  These primers are designed to be specific to the covid19 nucelocapsid sequence only.  In other words, the test will not amplify RNA from other coronaviruses that may be present in the sample. It will not amplify human or bacterial genetic material.  It will not amplify RNA from other viruses.  It's highly specific to covid19 and only covid19.  Each time they run a series of tests they include controls.  A positive control of purified covid19 RNA that should flag positive.  If it doesn't, the test and all the patient samples included in that run need to be retested.  They will also include a negative control.  This control could be a no template control, where there is no RNA/DNA in the reaction mix at all.  Or they could use a nonsense template and include RNA from a non covid virus , like flu.  I often used bacterial genetic material for negative controls in flu PCR that I did.  This control should be negative, and if it isn't all the samples run on that series are invalid and need to be re-tested.

Watch the video again and look at the graphs where they show how the signal comes up when they add increasing numbers of viral copies into the sample mix.  There's a negative control in there that does not show any signal after 45 or so cycles, indicating no amplification of the covid19 target sequence.  The other samples of 200, 20 and 2 copies turn positive in a step-wise manner as you would expect.  The threshold where a sample is called positive is the Ct (cycle threshold) number, or the number of cycles necessary for the fluorescent signal to exceed the background noise. 

If you're searching for curtains to look behind, I'd highly suggest that you look elsewhere.  PCR has long been a well established and robust technology.  

• Like (+1) 1

LAMP 

I got word yesterday morning that a dear friend had passed. He was like a second father to me. He had been dying to get out from lockdown. He was a devoted husband  who never stopped loving his wife even a decade after she passed. He loved his son, but he was a painful reminder of the lost love of his life. He wasn't a perfect man, but he was a good man. One of the kindest I've ever known.

He lived alone and only survived after his wife passed because of his routine. I told friends and family that I was worried that lockdown would be dangerous for him. I checked on him all the time. Invited him over every weekend to try to get him out of the house. I did everything I could to try to prevent the inevitable.

During lockdown, he told me many times that he'd never stand for another lockdown. Isolation was too much to take. As phase three approached, he was so excited. Sadly, upon first seeing him, it was obvious that he had gotten sick during lockdown. It was evident to all of us. On Friday, he finally went to the hospital. He got bad news but would not be specific other than assuring that it was not Covid. He refused to be hospitalized. It would have been just another lockdown.

Our final text exchange Saturday night was:

Me:  "I'll stop in for a beer after golf tomorrow morning."

Him:  "Can't wait, kid. ?"

I weep for his son, having found his father yesterday morning.

My heart is broken. I'll miss you, friend.

• Sad 14

Italy was at 28K deaths on April 30. 

34K as of today.  This seems like a big deal since we were 2 weeks behind them.  

It is criminal and dam near treasonous that the media who bombarded us with footage of one hospital in Northern Italy (fyi I've read it's close to like that during all flu seasons) that helped fuel the panic to global lockdown is doing virtually NO REPORTING out of Italy. 

2 minutes ago, LB3 said:

LAMP 

I got word yesterday morning that a dear friend had passed. He was like a second father to me. He had been dying to get out from lockdown. He was a devoted husband  who never stopped loving his wife even a decade after she passed. He loved his son, but he was a painful reminder of the lost love of his life. He wasn't a perfect man, but he was a good man. One of the kindest I've ever known.

He lived alone and only survived after his wife passed because of his routine. I told friends and family that I was worried that lockdown would be dangerous for him. I checked on him all the time. Invited him over every weekend to try to get him out of the house. I did everything I could to try to prevent the inevitable.

During lockdown, he told me many times that he'd never stand for another lockdown. Isolation was too much to take. As phase three approached, he was so excited. Sadly, upon first seeing him, it was obvious that he had gotten sick during lockdown. It was evident to all of us. On Friday, he finally went to the hospital. He got bad news but would not be specific other than assuring that it was not Covid. He refused to be hospitalized. It would have been just another lockdown.

Heart and prayers are with you, LB. Damn. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LB3 said:

LAMP 

So sorry for your loss @LB3

• Thank you (+1) 1