The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

By the dawn of the 19th century, tuberculosis had killed one in seven of all people that had ever lived.

Doctors believed it was hereditary, but had begun to observe that fresh air and outdoor living could sometimes change the course of the illness.

• Thank you (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, KRC said:

Even a partial re-open, I still want him to address the primary elections.

He has talked about it a lot pushing people to register for mail in ballots. Gotta be a party member for it to matter. 

Health Sec Levine is being absurdly cautious and has his ear. Don't be shocked if she pushes him to extend the shutdown further. Philly is 8x and most other counties are 4X the threshold she set for opening. 

Edited by shoshin
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, shoshin said:

He has talked about it a lot pushing people to register for mail in ballots. Gotta be a party member for it to matter. 

Health Sec Levine is being absurdly cautious and has his ear. Don't be shocked if she pushes him to extend the shutdown further. Philly is 8x and most other counties are 4X the threshold she set for opening. 

You live in the Philly area? I am Bucks County.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, shoshin said:

Ah, mail in voting in PA. Who didn't see that coming? <_<

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Ah, mail in voting in PA. Who didn't see that coming? <_<

6 months away.

It is asinine to think that we will still be in lockdown then.

• Like (+1) 2

With the talk lately about how younger Covid patients are having more strokes and clots than expected, here's some interesting preliminary data on using blood thinners for them. 

It's just a data study but among the sickest patients (those on ventilators...meaning their chances are already very low for survival), the results here are pretty significant. 

Among [2800 age 33-49] patients placed on ventilators, nearly 63% of those who weren't treated with blood thinners died, compared with 29% of those who were given the drugs, the researchers reported. Among patients on ventilators who died, those who didn't receive blood thinners died after nine days, while those given the drugs died after 21 days.

More here.

Need more research on this but that's a promising result (though it's kind of obvious to go to blood thinners for stroke/clots). 

• Like (+1) 1

FLORIDA’S CORONAVIRUS RESPONSE SHOWS US WHAT WE MIGHT HAVE DONE DIFFERENTLY:

As the coronavirus approached its peak in New York and other hard-hit parts of the country, many people looked to Florida as the next hot spot. I was one of them. I argued back in April that Gov. Ron DeSantis’s hesitation to adopt early, statewide preventive measures could become problematic, given the rising number of confirmed cases in heavily populated areas, such as Miami, and rural hospitals’ lack of preparedness.

But the anticipated disaster never occurred. The worst of the state’s outbreak has thus far been contained in a handful of populous South Florida counties. The average of new cases has steadily declined over the past few weeks, and the average of new deaths has largely plateaued.

The question is: Why? How did Florida avoid what seemed like an inevitable crisis, while other parts of the country have floundered? We might not know for a long while yet. But for right now, there’s something to be said of Florida’s strategy and the way in which Floridians responded to it.

Read the whole thing; though note how the media is distorting the responses of New York and Florida’s governors:

ben_shapiro_new_york_florida_coronavirus

44 minutes ago, B-Man said:

FLORIDA’S CORONAVIRUS RESPONSE SHOWS US WHAT WE MIGHT HAVE DONE DIFFERENTLY:

As the coronavirus approached its peak in New York and other hard-hit parts of the country, many people looked to Florida as the next hot spot. I was one of them. I argued back in April that Gov. Ron DeSantis’s hesitation to adopt early, statewide preventive measures could become problematic, given the rising number of confirmed cases in heavily populated areas, such as Miami, and rural hospitals’ lack of preparedness.

But the anticipated disaster never occurred. The worst of the state’s outbreak has thus far been contained in a handful of populous South Florida counties. The average of new cases has steadily declined over the past few weeks, and the average of new deaths has largely plateaued.

The question is: Why? How did Florida avoid what seemed like an inevitable crisis, while other parts of the country have floundered? We might not know for a long while yet. But for right now, there’s something to be said of Florida’s strategy and the way in which Floridians responded to it.

Read the whole thing; though note how the media is distorting the responses of New York and Florida’s governors:

For any state in the US to say, "We did something right because we did better than NYC" is ridiculous. No place in the US is like NYC. 

On 5/7/2020 at 2:04 PM, GG said:

Presidents are in charge of the military during a war.  Governors are in primary charge of what happens in their states.

Could have sworn that Trump referred to himself as a wartime president. If he wasn't referring to the virus he has delusionally convinced himself that we're fighting a war with another country. It's probably Greenland.

The virus isn't affecting 1 state. It's infecting every state. It needs to have a plan from the top, a consistent strategy, not a hey you guys figure it out because I'm too busy tweeting about my ratings.

You know, like the way you would look at this if it was a Dem president. 

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Kemp said:

Could have sworn that Trump referred to himself as a wartime president. If he wasn't referring to the virus he has delusionally convinced himself that we're fighting a war with another country. It's probably Greenland.

The virus isn't affecting 1 state. It's infecting every state. It needs to have a plan from the top, a consistent strategy, not a hey you guys figure it out because I'm too busy tweeting about my ratings.

You mean something like a 3 stage reopening guideline with clear goals for each phase?

https://www.whitehouse.gov/openingamerica/

Edited by BuffaloHokie13
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Kemp said:

And I could have sworn that I heard a near unanimous push back when Trump declared that he has the ultimate authority to decide when states would open up?

So which is it?

• Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, GG said:

The people who are likely to vote for him stopped paying literal attention to what he says, knowing fully well that a lot of it is exaggerated.   

Love this. Trump supporters don't take him literally. They understand better what he's saying than he does.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Kemp said:

Love this. Trump supporters don't take him literally. They understand better what he's saying than he does.

Trump speak with an 8th grader's vocabulary.  That's well known.  Yet, he's still accomplished far more than previous Presidents.

You're the type of person who would rather get pounded with a 10 lb sledgehammer as long as the guy had a nice demeanor and vocabulary.

• Like (+1) 3