The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

1 hour ago, Magox said:

I like the idea but 10k is a rather small sample for the country.  Not sure this will get an accurate representation.

10K in a controlled biological blood drawing study is not small. Sure 1M would be better but that would take an army of people to administer and you wouldn’t get the results for 9 months. 

1 hour ago, Magox said:

Florida leading the way.  In about a month the deaths there are going to plummet 

Like the data but the sentiment is not one nation under god indivisible (nor were the “floridamorons” people). New York is much different than Florida and we are all in this I would hope rooting for everyone to succeed. 

Edited by shoshin

53 minutes ago, shoshin said:

Like the data but the sentiment is not one nation under god indivisible (nor were the “floridamorons” people). New York is much different than Florida and we are all in this I would hope rooting for everyone to succeed. 

We haven't been one nation for 30 plus years.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

We haven't been one nation for 30 plus years.

I want Florida, Georgia, Michigan, and New York to come out of this well. We are a united country if we act like it. Eff the big city, Eff the hicks is no way to act especially in a pandemic. Whatever happened so far is going to take less unity than the unity required to dig out of the hole we are in now. 

Edited by shoshin
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, shoshin said:

I’m not sure where you’re headed. When we have wildfires out here in California we don’t ask people in Manhattan to close their restaurants. 

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Magox said:

Florida leading the way.  In about a month the deaths there are going to plummet 

Gods honest truth, went to twitter this morning before here or before read any tweet about the numbers..reserached Fla nd Ga weekly reports..GA's are just as impressive BTW.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Friday’s numbers show only five states with 100 deaths. I believe that’s the lowest I’ve seen. Of those, four (NY, NJ, Mass, PA) are essentially in the same small geographic region of a ver big country. The outlier is Illinois, and I guarantee their number is almost solely confined to Chicago. By the way, NY is down to about 1/4 of what it was at the peak. 

10K in a controlled biological blood drawing study is not small. Sure 1M would be better but that would take an army of people to administer and you wouldn’t get the results for 9 months. 

It’s small for a national study.  Very small at that

Does the CDC have the ‘official’ figures? The CDC website shows the Covid death count for the first week of May down to the lowest number in two months. If that site is correct, and I assume it is, then curve has not only been flattened but it’s been reduced to a speed bump. You have to admit that Something’s fishy with how the various sites are reporting, but if the CDC site is inaccurate how is ANYONE making public policy?

• Like (+1) 4

37 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Gods honest truth, went to twitter this morning before here or before read any tweet about the numbers..reserached Fla nd Ga weekly reports..GA's are just as impressive BTW.

I swear I was going to post this earlier this morning.  I have a friend on FB who posted an article from Monday from CNN that’s headline was “Georgia opens up economy despite single highest day of infections”

And since it was CNN I had to fact check it.  That GA. Department of health link you just posted says it all.   If you scroll down you can see the daily confirmed infections.  Despite their testing going up, they have had 4 straight days of 300 or less infections and 7 days of less than 500.   Look at that trend line.    Impressive as hell.

Georgia I thought may had been setting themselves up for failure not following White House guidelines but those numbers show that they are probably on the verge of opening up to the next level.

As the data continues to pour in my view has changed from slowly opening up to a more rapid approach.   The local/state/federal government should pull out all the stops to protect those at most risk.   Focus on that and those on the frontlines and let’s get this show on the road.

one other point, I saw an interesting stat today.  The average age of the US person who dies is 78.

The average age of someone who dies of the coronavirus is 79.

Just found that stat to be interesting.

Edited by Magox
  • Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Does the CDC have the ‘official’ figures? The CDC website shows the Covid death count for the first week of May down to the lowest number in two months. If that site is correct, and I assume it is, then curve has not only been flattened but it’s been reduced to a speed bump. You have to admit that Something’s fishy with how the various sites are reporting, but if the CDC site is inaccurate how is ANYONE making public policy?

The cdc official stats update very slowly. They are much more meticulous in counting deaths than the sites like worldometer. So you can’t look at the CDC’s more recent data as complete. It is accurate as far as it’s been counted but it’s not all counted. 

Looking at the CDC for demographic trends is the best. 

1 minute ago, Magox said:

one other point, I saw an interesting stat today.  The average age of the US person who does is 78.

The average age of someone who dies of the coronavirus is 79.

Just found that stat to be interesting.

Mentioned a few days ago that in my county it’s 80.9!!!

42 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Trying to prop up Sugar Nipples as a contrast of leadership to the Angry Orange Man.

19 minutes ago, Magox said:

It’s small for a national study.  Very small at that

If you can find a bigger well-run sample size that we can get results in while they still matter, let me know. This is a pretty massive study and given how excited people got about steely eyed taser testers, we should welcome any big study. 

The other data points on prevalence have all been smallish and uncontrolled dips in the pond of humanity. With any luck, we can get this data in 4-6 weeks. 

24 minutes ago, Magox said:

You missed the point entirely aside from the data.

Its about a double standard and pointing it out with facts.  It’s about how the media covers Cuomo in the most glowing of terms despite his numerous missteps as opposed to “But Florida Beaches” relentless negative coverage of the Republican Trump supporting DeSantis who has handled this crisis as well as anyone despite all the teeth gnashing from the media.   It’s about not being a punching bag and letting your enemies (which is the press when it comes to conservative politicians) and anyone who says otherwise is either being dishonest or naive, not allowing the media to punch you without punching them back in the jaw with the facts.

This lack of kumbaya sentiment that you speak of ended the day that the media weaponized this virus.

• Thank you (+1) 2