The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

BTW, just a heads up. Went to Costco late this afternoon, zero beef, chicken, or pork , and I do mean zero. And it look like it ain’t coming back soon. Central coolers where chicken and pork normally displayed has fruits and greens. Normal area where those shelved was blocked. 

Publix has plenty of everything, but just a heads up if you planning to stock up on any of those items in the next few days. Of course , maybe different in you neck of the woods. 

2 hours ago, keepthefaith said:

Nuts?

What does a TV show have to do with a virus and what does a 19 year war in which our country chose to fight have to do with it either?  Wrong thread by you possibly?

Let's include some discussion about meteors crashing into earth, for that could kill many millions.  Time for Trump to get out in front of that one so to speak?

https://www.businessinsider.com/nasa-threat-of-meteor-crashing-into-earth-is-bigger-than-you-think-2019-5

Meteoritic catastrophe is hypothetical.  COVID catastrophe is not.  And instead of focusing on the problem, the person with “absolute authority” to lead on the issue is belittling late night talk show hosts.  

This is the proper thread. 

5 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

BTW, just a heads up. Went to Costco late this afternoon, zero beef, chicken, or pork , and I do mean zero. And it look like it ain’t coming back soon. Central coolers where chicken and pork normally displayed has fruits and greens. Normal area where those shelved was blocked. 

Publix has plenty of everything, but just a heads up if you planning to stock up on any of those items in the next few days. Of course , maybe different in you neck of the woods. 

Wegmans was ok on beef last week but low on chicken.  Fish seemed to be in decent supply. 

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

agree, people will either chose to go to a restaurant or not, but i will not be wearing a mask at one. I will wear in the grocery or hardware store just to make other people feel comfortable.

I concur. While I still don’t love the idea of it in a grocery store or at Lowe’s, I’ve worn a face covering each time. I also try to keep my distance from others, waiting while standing away from the aisle etc.  A restaurant or bar is more of a personal choice; a grocery store is a necessity. 

• Like (+1) 1

Zinc was not used for this study. it's main objective was to study the effects of the cocktail on heart function.

The Effect of Chloroquine, Hydroxychloroquine and Azithromycin on the Corrected QT Interval in Patients with SARS-CoV-2 Infection

... Results - Two hundred one patients were treated for COVID-19 with chloroquine/hydroxychloroquine. Ten patients (5.0%) received chloroquine, 191 (95.0%) received hydroxychloroquine and 119 (59.2%) also received azithromycin. The primary outcome of TdP was not observed in the entire population. Baseline QTc intervals did not differ between patients treated with chloroquine/hydroxychloroquine (monotherapy group) vs. those treated with combination group (chloroquine/hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin) (440.6 ± 24.9 ms vs. 439.9 ± 24.7 ms, p =0.834). The maximum QTc during treatment was significantly longer in the combination group vs the monotherapy group (470.4 ± 45.0 ms vs. 453.3 ± 37.0 ms, p = 0.004). Seven patients (3.5%) required discontinuation of these medications due to QTc prolongation. No arrhythmogenic deaths were reported.

Conclusions - In the largest reported cohort of COVID-19 patients to date treated with chloroquine/hydroxychloroquine {plus minus} azithromycin, no instances of TdP or arrhythmogenic death were reported. Although use of these medications resulted in QT prolongation, clinicians seldomly needed to discontinue therapy. Further study of the need for QT interval monitoring is needed before final recommendations can be made.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

And over in Jolly Ole England...

Government scientist Neil Ferguson resigns after breaking lockdown rules to meet his married lover

Prof Ferguson allowed the woman to visit him at home during the lockdown while lecturing the public on the need for strict social distancing

The scientist whose advice prompted Boris Johnson to lockdown Britain resigned from his government advisory position on Tuesday night as the Telegraph can reveal he broke social distancing rules to meet his married lover.

Professor Neil Ferguson allowed the woman to visit him at home during the lockdown while lecturing the public on the need for strict social distancing to reduce the spread of coronavirus. The woman lives with her husband and their children in another house.

The epidemiologist leads a team at Imperial College London that produced the computer-modelled research prompting the national lockdown, which claimed more than 500,000 Britons would die without it.

Prof Ferguson has frequently taken to the media to support the lockdown and praised the “very intensive social distancing” measures.

</snip>

On at least two occasions, Antonia Staats, 38, travelled across London from her home in the south of the capital to spend time with the Government scientist, nicknamed Professor Lockdown.

The 51-year-old had only just finished a two-week spell self-isolating after testing positive for coronavirus.

</snip>

Prof Ferguson sat on Sage, whose advice has guided the government response during the pandemic, as well as the New and Emerging Respiratory Virus Threats Advisory Group (NERVTAG), which advises the Chief Medical Officer and the Department of Health.

</snip>

So shocking yet so predictable. 

leftists: do as I say, not as I do. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

has it mutated (still being peer reviewed)?

Spike mutation pipeline reveals the emergence of a more transmissible form of SARS-CoV-2

Declaration of Interests: The authors declare no competing interests.

Summary

We have developed an analysis pipeline to facilitate real-time mutation tracking in SARS-CoV-2, focusing initially on the Spike (S) protein because it mediates infection of human cells and is the target of most vaccine strategies and antibody-based therapeutics. To date we have identified fourteen mutations in Spike that are accumulating. Mutations are considered in a broader phylogenetic context, geographically, and over time, to provide an early warning system to reveal mutations that may confer selective advantages in transmission or resistance to interventions. Each one is evaluated for evidence of positive selection, and the implications of the mutation are explored through structural modeling. The mutation Spike D614G is of urgent concern; it began spreading in Europe in early February, and when introduced to new regions it rapidly becomes the dominant form. Also, we present evidence of recombination between locally circulating strains, indicative of multiple strain infections. These finding have important implications for SARS-CoV-2 transmission, pathogenesis and immune interventions.

Scientists say a now-dominant strain of the coronavirus appears to be more contagious than original

... The new strain appeared in February in Europe, migrated quickly to the East Coast of the United States and has been the dominant strain across the world since mid-March, the scientists wrote.

In addition to spreading faster, it may make people vulnerable to a second infection after a first bout with the disease, the report warned.

The 33-page report was posted Thursday on BioRxiv, a website that researchers use to share their work before it is peer reviewed, an effort to speed up collaborations with scientists working on COVID-19 vaccines or treatments. That research has been largely based on the genetic sequence of earlier strains and might not be effective against the new one.

The mutation identified in the new report affects the now infamous spikes on the exterior of the coronavirus, which allow it to enter human respiratory cells. The report's authors said they felt an "urgent need for an early warning" so that vaccines and drugs under development around the world will be effective against the mutated strain. ...

Edited by Foxx
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Can we please just end this charade that we are " social distancing" . I have a place in DC, and outside of Sunday @Hammered a Lot  then New Era, there is no place in the world i would rather spend time. Its the place i had to change my party affiliation from Republican to Democrat from 88-2003 cause the defacto election was the democratic primary. It may be the most liberal city in the US. Can we please stop trying to middle this thing?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Albwan said:

Did you happen to inject bleach? you seem to be stuck on two week old dnc talking points.

I replied to a question specifically about that addressed to me, but you had to froth, in error. You can only do what you are capable of, I suppose.

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

agree, people will either chose to go to a restaurant or not, but i will not be wearing a mask at one. I will wear in the grocery or hardware store just to make other people feel comfortable.

Considering that it would be tough to eat while wearing a mask, that seems reasonable.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

Hey! Where’s the daily running total death count for all that bleach injection we were told was going to occur? It should be in the MILLIONS by now...right? 

Thankfully, I only know of two people who followed Trump's recommendations on chloraquine. The husband died. The wife survived. They drank aquarium water. At least a couple hundred did call their local authorities to ask if it's safe to ingest bleach. I wonder how many of them are Trump supporters?

14 minutes ago, Kemp said:

Thankfully, I only know of two people who followed Trump's recommendations on chloraquine. The husband died. The wife survived. They drank aquarium water. At least a couple hundred did call their local authorities to ask if it's safe to ingest bleach. I wonder how many of them are Trump supporters?

Well, the two that drank fish tank cleaner were lifelong Democrats, and, apparently, the only ones stupid enough to do so.

Woman who said she drank fish-tank cleaner because of president's advice is not a Trump supporter

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/arizona-woman-fish-tank-cleaner-trump-democrat

"The Arizona woman who said she and her husband drank fish-tank cleaner to ward off coronavirus has donated heavily to Democrats and acknowledges she's not a President Trump supporter"

Of course, there are those that don't really believe this was some naive attempt to "follow the President's recommedations"

Police Investigating Death of Arizona Man From Chloroquine Phosphate

https://freebeacon.com/coronavirus/police-investigating-death-of-arizona-man-from-chloroquine-phosphate/

"Friends of Gary Lenius told the Free Beacon they were skeptical he would knowingly ingest fish tank treatment. Rather, they described Lenius as a levelheaded retired engineer and recounted a troubled marital relationship that included a previous domestic assault charge against his wife, of which she was ultimately found not guilty."

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

PlanDemic, a Film about the Global Plan to Take Control of Our Lives, Liberty, Health & Freedom.

Dr. Judy Mikovits is a modern-day Rosalind Franklin, a brilliant researcher shaking up the old boys' club of science with her groundbreaking discoveries. And like many women who have trespassed into the world of men, she uncovered decades-old secrets that many would prefer to stay buried.

From her doctoral thesis, which changed the treatment of HIV-AIDS, saving the lives of millions, including basketball great Magic Johnson, to her spectacular discovery of a new family of human retroviruses, and her latest research which points to a new golden age of health, Dr. Mikovits has always been on the leading edge of science.

Edited by Bockeye

3 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

They’re trying to tell you something dude. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, shoshin said:

Say no then. It isn’t hard to do. 

It’s a critical study. Happy to give my blood. 

That’s an oversimplification of the problem.  If the story is accurate, they have a team of individuals showing up at your home, some in quasi-paramilitary gear with “official papers”, suggesting that for the greater good you offer your family up for a blood draw?  They rely on psychology and theatrics to manipulate people into believing submitting is compulsory?  In 2020??

If only there was a way where the government could reach out quickly and efficiently to the masses for volunteers, set up a professional screening center with a visitors bureau, offer an explanation of the process on a small, high quality hand-held monitor and a sanitary blood draw station.  Instead, the geniuses have launched a program with a decidedly Mediziniche Aufzeichnungen feel to it. 

My response might not be as visceral as some, but I’m no less inclined to tell them  leave me and mine alone and if they truky feel the program is worthwhile, reach out to me through my physician’s office. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

3 hours ago, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

Face palm, youtube totality on CCP, WHO side. Taking more videos down on how hydroxychloroquine helps people. Just see other videos people videos taken down.. 

Why are the videos being taken down?