The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

...how the 'eff this skank even still has a job is beyond me.....

De Blasio considering NYC lockdown amid coronavirus surge

New York Post

New York City’s coronavirus cases have skyrocketed in less than a week from 25 on Monday to 269 Sunday as Mayor Bill de Blasio considers locking down the Big Apple to contain the outbreak.

“Every option is on the table in a crisis,” de Blasio said Sunday morning on CNN.

“We’ve never seen anything like this,” he said.

De Blasio expects the city’s coronavirus tally to rise to 1,000 in the next few days.

“It’s changing every hour so we’re going to constantly make new decisions,” de Blasio said about the dynamic public health emergency.

He also called on the Trump administration to assume a war-time footing.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/de-blasio-considering-nyc-lockdown-amid-coronavirus-surge

The British approach to coronavirus

by  Tyler Cowen March 14, 2020 at 12:15 am

Not sure how aware you are of what’s happening here but the British government is taking a decidedly different approach to most other nations. They are not shutting schools or cancelling large gatherings or recommending self-isolation. They’re taking a longer view and saying if that happens it will be a way off yet. The policy is led by the scientists.

It’s a very bold approach, the govt is coming under a lot of pressure to do what other nations are doing, there’s a lot of shouting to DO MORE, but so far they’re ignoring it. It’s kind of fascinating to see it play out. If you have time, today’s press conference is really worth a watch, the chief scientific and health advisers give a pretty detailed explanation of what they’re doing (Johnson introduces and then the scientists start talking at 31.50). They don’t say this explicitly but their bet is that what China and South Korea are doing is not economically or psychologically sustainable and will just lead to another peak. (My friend has drawn a cute visual explanation of the thinking here).

In this press conference they also make a pretty persuasive case that cancelling large gatherings is pointless and may be counter-productive.

…One more thing – good summary of the arguments the govt scientists made in that press conference, in this Guardian report. eg “closures would have to be at least 13 weeks long to reduce the peak of Covid-19 by 10-15%. Measures such as self-isolation for seven days for those with symptoms … have been modelled and are shown to be much more effective”

That is from an Ian Leslie email.  I am skeptical about this approach (is it politically sustainable?), but we will know more soon.  Here is another good explanation, by another guy named Ian:

3. A UK starting assumption is that a high number of the population will inevitably get infected whatever is done – up to 80%. As you can’t stop it, so it is best to manage it. There are limited health resources so the aim is to manage the flow of the seriously ill to these.

4. The Italian model the aims to stop infection. The UKs wants infection BUT of particular categories of people. The aim of the UK is to have as many lower risk people infected as possible. Immune people cannot infect others; the more there are the lower the risk of infection

And here is a polemic critique of the British strategy.  Continuing…

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...the infection and mortality rates are similar to the annual flu season......however, there is some "peace of mind" knowing that flu vaccine is available annually even though it is effective for certain strains only....

Experts aren't sure by how much but they're all in agreement the mortality rates are higher and it's more easily transmissible.  If the death rate is 1% which is the lowest estimate I've seen that's 10 times deadlier than the average flu strain (.1% death rate).  So, as it exponentially increases you could be looking at more than 50 million people with the virus.  That's 500,000 deaths which warps the average number of deaths every year from the flu which is usually under 40,000 per year.  That's the reason the world is freaking out.

Dash's has suspended deliveries :blink: We are now in instacart with Tops. We started the order with a late evening Monday delivery, and as we've filled up the cart it is now into a Tuesday morning delivery.  I wanted Whole Foods, Hubby told me to suck it up and stick with Tops. ?

Good thing this is only for fresh stuff and tortilla chips. We will not starve, but not being able to go out for fresh groceries kinda sucks. It is amazing how spoiled as a population we are... I want fresh foods, and I want 'em now!

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Foxx said:

the population in Italy, on average is considerably older which could quite possibly explain the rapid increase.

Yes, which is why their death rate is high, but the number of cases accelerating is due To their slow initial response. Their older population is why I said Florida will be like Italy. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, TPS said:

Yes, which is why their death rate is high, but the number of cases accelerating is due To their slow initial response. Their older population is why I said Florida will be like Italy. 

let's hope not.

• Like (+1) 2