4th & 27???

familykwi

50 minutes ago, Penfield45 said:

McDermott is a great Defensive coach 

but that's about it. he has no idea how to develop a top offense, his in game management is awful, his challenges are poor, and he constantly is making boneheaded personal decisions, like Duke Williams not allowed to play while Lee smith and Demarco are running routes 40 yards downfield. 

he isn't a top HC in this league 

boneheaded personal decisions.......now that's a funny read

• Haha (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

The refrain around here is that McDermott is too conservative, that he punts when he should go for it, blah blah.   Now comes someone saying what was he doing, going for it?   

They're just decisions that a coach has to make all the time.  Some decisions work out, some don't.  

Come on, man.  You can’t see the difference between going for it on 4th and 3 (50 percent or better chance) and going for it on 4th and 27 (2 percent chance at best, especially when your QB is in deer/headlight mode)?  One is smart, the other is reckless and downright dumb.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Chaos said:

His players seem to play hard for him.  That is pretty important. 

But he really lacks accountability for his own errors.  He was very public about telling his players, especially Allen, to play fearlessly.  Then after the refs stole the game, and he made multiple coaching errors during the game, blamed the loss on Allen "trying to do to much".  I thought that was a real ***** move. 

I think the attempted lateral warrants Mcd's comment about doing too much. 

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

The refrain around here is that McDermott is too conservative, that he punts when he should go for it, blah blah.   Now comes someone saying what was he doing, going for it?   

First, because some make an assertion, does not mean we all do.  I've not complained about conservatism.

But if I had, going on 4th and 27 is not being aggressive, it's insanity.  With the defense we have and 3 time outs in pocket with 1:55 on the clock, he should have EXPECTED to get the ball back in decent field position.  Of course I'm sure he never imagined Josh giving up another huge sack, so I don't consider that part of the equation, but even if I could have brought in KC's offense on that play, I would not have felt good about the chances of converting 4th & 27.

5 minutes ago, Chaos said:
7 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

I think the attempted lateral warrants Mcd's comment about doing too much. 

A play that had zero impact on the outcome of the game. 

That may be true, but that play is going to linger in a lot of minds including his teammates. 

It was not heroic.  It was not gutty.  That was a panic play, plain and simple.

If Josh continues to lose his mind, he'll lose the confidence of his locker room.  That's the worry I have after watching yesterday's game.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, familykwi said:

First, because some make an assertion, does not mean we all do.  I've not complained about conservatism.

But if I had, going on 4th and 27 is not being aggressive, it's insanity.  With the defense we have and 3 time outs in pocket with 1:55 on the clock, he should have EXPECTED to get the ball back in decent field position.  Of course I'm sure he never imagined Josh giving up another huge sack, so I don't consider that part of the equation, but even if I could have brought in KC's offense on that play, I would not have felt good about the chances of converting 4th & 27.

That may be true, but that play is going to linger in a lot of minds including his teammates. 

It was not heroic.  It was not gutty.  That was a panic play, plain and simple.

If Josh continues to lose his mind, he'll lose the confidence of his locker room.  That's the worry I have after watching yesterday's game.

I don't know if it was panic or just not thinking straight.  That play would have been fine if there were around 15 seconds left in the game or was on 4th down.  Maybe he just lost  track of things.

As they say with rookies all the time, as they play more, the game slows down, think that's still needed for Josh.  

I thin kit's tougher too for any player, but in particular for a QB coming from a college program where you were the best player on the team and everything was on you.  Take a guy like Trever Lawrence, likely will be the 2021 #1 overall pick.  There are still many other players on that team who are just as talented.  For Allen  very little competition.

2 hours ago, familykwi said:

Has anything else been offered as to why in the world we didn't kick deep to pin the Texans down giving us a better chance to get field position on the last drive making a TD possible?

There is a reason I call the guy "McDummy!" LOL 

2 hours ago, pennstate10 said:

I like McD, and think hes the coach for Bflo.  Blue collar, tough, hardworking.

I don't understand the reasoning here.  A lot of people on here say that about our head coach or Josh Allen.  "He's right for Buffalo"  If he was white collar and not so tough, he couldn't be here?  I just want somebody here who is smart and understands the game.  I think McDermott is a great defensive coach.  As a head coach he's now 25-23, (0-2) in the playoffs.  That's a typical average head coach.  I want better.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

I don't know if it was panic or just not thinking straight.  That play would have been fine if there were around 15 seconds left in the game or was on 4th down.  Maybe he just lost  track of things.

As they say with rookies all the time, as they play more, the game slows down, think that's still needed for Josh.  

Panic:  noun:  1.  sudden uncontrollable fear or anxiety, often causing wildly unthinking behavior.

Textbook.  If he lost track of things and behaved without thinking that IS panic.  Thanks for helping make my point.

"The more they play the more it slows down"  - I made a comment to a friend when they did a close up of Josh to the effect of, "that's what a bag of cats actually looks like."  I look forward to seeing Josh in 10 years, or so when things are slow enough for him that his decision making seems rational.

3 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

I don't know the answer to this, but the more I think about it, the more ironic it seems that someone is asking this question.  

They're just decisions that a coach has to make all the time.  Some decisions work out, some don't.  

If I had to guess, here's what he was thinking:   Whether he punts or goes for it and doesn't make it, if the Eagles get one first down, the game is over.   So his chances aren't very good either way.  Going for it at least gives him two shots at it.   Maybe he gets a miracle on 4th and 27.  Maybe he gets a defensive penalty.   If he doesn't make it, other than field position, he's no worse off than he was.  If his defense doesn't hold, he's done.  If it does hold, he has a shot.   

the only thing is with the field position I think they would feel very conifident that the Texans would not pass pinned deep vs where they got the ball.  I was ready for a fake run with the TE over the top since the Bills were obviously selling out for the qb sneak

Incredible the Bills got the stop to get the ball back 

20 minutes ago, Josh Allen is not the one said:

I don't understand the reasoning here.  A lot of people on here say that about our head coach or Josh Allen.  "He's right for Buffalo"  If he was white collar and not so tough, he couldn't be here?  I just want somebody here who is smart and understands the game.  I think McDermott is a great defensive coach.  As a head coach he's now 25-23, (0-2) in the playoffs.  That's a typical average head coach.  I want better.

I think what McD inherited has to be taken into consideration.  I think the 9-7 record year 1 was a miracle.  I also thought the 6-10 projections (on average) this year were a bit unfair.  I hoped for 10-6, but felt 8-8 was the low mark.  Although any loss is disappointing, we don't realistically expect an undefeated season either.  The one that gets me this year is Cleveland.  Otherwise, we took care of business when we were supposed to and lost when we were supposed to (the Jets game didn't matter).  Philly was the only time we were not competitive. 

I hope as he builds relationships that he's willing to be objective enough to do what needs to be done with personnel to keep us moving forward and annually relevant.  We need to continue to build so that we can be beat you in a variety of ways, including outscoring teams if the defense is not at their best, and we can endure injuries which we were fortunate to avoid this year.

Time will tell, but I've been far more excited to watch my team the last three years than the prior 20.  If it actually turns bad, lets revisit this, but for now let's enjoy relevance. 

• Like (+1) 1