The 50/50 Ball to...DiMarco?

Bakin

6 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

And punt.  Or throw it downfield and give the guy a shot.  Which he did.  And which should have been caught.  Why are you and others continuing to deny that DiMarco should have caught the ball?

Where he should have thrown it away was the intentional grounding play.

As I recall the play they dropped 8 and from what I could see guys were covered.

And, again, DiMarco had position and just mistimed his jump by a fraction.  He should have caught it.  That is not on the QB.

I just watched the All-22. It's still on my screen. Two guys open.

Agreed that DiMarco almost got it and mistimed his jump, but I don't think that's where the ball should have gone. All three guys in the area were kind of fooled by that pass, as it was a real floater, unusual for Allen, thrown off the back foot.

Edited by Thurman#1

Just now, Thurman#1 said:

I just watched the All-22. It's still on my screen. Two guys open.

Agreed that DiMarco almost got it and mistimed his jump, but I don't think that's where the ball should have gone. All three guys in the area were kind of fooled by that pass, as it was a real floater, unusual for Allen, thrown off the back foot.

Hope you’ll be able to post it.  I think many times what we think is open may not be.  If DiMarco times the jump better we win the game.

1 hour ago, LSHMEAB said:

It wasn't a good throw, but I do think the DB would have caught up to Dimarco even if he were able to keep running full speed. Get what you're saying, but that DB had his eyes on the ball and a distinct speed advantage.

Again, I have zero clue what that formation is about, but Allen did eventually have a guy open underneath.

Should have been an easy interception.  The DBs both played it poorly.  That same play happens 100 times, the FB comes down with it the fewest of the three.  He MIGHT come away with it 5 times.  It’s picked 25 times minimum.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Can we talk about how people are arguing that our fullback should have better timed his jump ball 50 yards down field....

Holy poop fest Batman. Of course your fullback blows at jump balls down field. It’s Dimarcos job to be a bowling ball. It’s like being mad as Shaq for missing a 3 at the buzzer or Muggsy Bogges not getting a rebound on a free throw. You try not of to put those guys in those positions during important moments of important games. When the game is on the line you feed your playmakers strengths not your role players weaknesses. 

It’s on Daboll AND Allen for different reasons. 

Edited by Mango
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 1/4/2020 at 10:23 PM, The Frankish Reich said:

You have a point. With 2 guys covering DiMarco, somebody somewhere who can actually catch the ball was wide open ....

I heard the play was designed to go to Singletary  and the deep routes were to just draw defenders. Just what I heard. Cant confirm it

• Like (+1) 1

This is a very bizarre play.

When I first saw it LIVE, I wanted to throw up. We just threw a bomb to DiMarco. Who thought that this was a good idea?

Now that I have had a chance to watch this play several times, I can see that the bomb was not the intended play call.

The Texans drop practically their entire team into coverage. Right away, no one appears to be open. John Brown does get a little separation at the end, but Josh Allen had already decided to throw to DiMarco.

At first I thought Allen might run with the ball as a last resort, but there's nowhere for him to go. The pass to DiMarco is not good, it's under thrown. Despite that, DiMarco had a real chance of catching this pass. The two Texans defenders play it badly and DiMarco is right in front of them and could haul the pass in. Unfortunately DiMarco mistimes his jump and completely misses the pass.

It's as ugly as it looked, yet it almost works. I give Allen credit for attempting to make a big play, even though the pass was short. Again, I highly doubt that this was the intended play call.

I also noticed that Lee Smith did have a step on his defender and Allen might have been better off throwing to him, but that's too much second guessing.

What infuriates me, is that the coaching staff really thought that this is the offensive personnel we should have out there, IN OVERTIME!

I guess that's why I'm just a fan and not a coach.

• Thank you (+1) 2

Lack of offensive personnel. It probably shouldn’t have been DiMarco, and you can argue for him not even being on the field at that point. Remember that McDs original FA target was Jusczyk, and he chose to go to SF? That guy makes plays, and perhaps McD should have ditched his plan for a FB on the roster when that  deal fell through. DiMarco has done next to nothing in his time with the Bills. 

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

Hope you’ll be able to post it.  I think many times what we think is open may not be.  If DiMarco times the jump better we win the game.

True, but same for the defenders. They made the same mistake for the same reason, the pass was deceptive, it wrong-footed everyone.

Don't think I'll be able to post it. I'm not real tech-minded. I'm just using Snipping Tool. I've got it captured but it won't upload to the board.

Edited by Thurman#1

12 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

When I first saw it LIVE, I wanted to throw up. We just threw a bomb to DiMarco. Who thought that this was a good idea?

Now that I have had a chance to watch this play several times, I can see that the bomb was not the intended play call.

The Texans drop practically their entire team into coverage. Right away, no one appears to be open. John Brown does get a little separation at the end, but Josh Allen had already decided to throw to DiMarco.

At first I thought Allen might run with the ball as a last resort, but there's nowhere for him to go. The pass to DiMarco is not good, it's under thrown. Despite that, DiMarco had a real chance of catching this pass. The two Texans defenders play it badly and DiMarco is right in front of them and could haul the pass in. Unfortunately DiMarco mistimes his jump and completely misses the pass.

It's as ugly as it looked, yet it almost works. I give Allen credit for attempting to make a big play, even though the pass was short. Again, I highly doubt that this was the intended play call.

I also noticed that Lee Smith did have a step on his defender and Allen might have been better off throwing to him, but that's too much second guessing.

What infuriates me, is that the coaching staff really thought that this is the offensive personnel we should have out there, IN OVERTIME!

I didn't pay for the All-22 this year. That Brown throw was do-able but needed to be thrown right when he made his cut. Looked like there was somebody, maybe Duke running a deep post route down the left side 1v1. Just rewatching on twitter videos, I would have actually preferred he took off there and tried to pick it up on his own. 

Other than that, I totally agree with you. Choosing that personnel grouping at that point in the game is the most infuriating part of it all. 

14 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

Again, though, two guys open, Brown and Singletary. McKenzie is tripled. This did confuse them.

I agree that the bomb wasn't the primary read.

10 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Again, though, two guys open, Brown and Singletary. McKenzie is tripled. This did confuse them.

I agree that the bomb wasn't the primary read.

Yes, Brown does get open, but by then Allen is already committed to throw to DiMarco.

I'm still blown away at how close this strange play almost worked.

33 minutes ago, Mango said:

I didn't pay for the All-22 this year. That Brown throw was do-able but needed to be thrown right when he made his cut. Looked like there was somebody, maybe Duke running a deep post route down the left side 1v1. Just rewatching on twitter videos, I would have actually preferred he took off there and tried to pick it up on his own. 

Other than that, I totally agree with you. Choosing that personnel grouping at that point in the game is the most infuriating part of it all. 

Nobody was running a deep post on the left side. I'm watching the All-22. There are two guys on the left side, Brown and Singletary and that's it.

The guy you are seeing deep and left is Lee Smith, who started on the right side and ran a post, ending up on the left hash.

Brown and Singletary are open. The play design worked. It confused them.

20 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

Yes, Brown does get open, but by then Allen is already committed to throw to DiMarco.

I'm still blown away at how close this strange play almost worked.

No, Brown is open pretty much when he cuts, which is well before Allen throws. And he continues to be open as he runs across, though as he gets near the middle of the field, the throw would have to be a bit different, placing it over the defender rather than darting it into the hole in the zone.

And I think it's precisely because it's weird that it worked (two guys open). It blew their minds but still accomplished what they were looking for (assuming they didn't actually expect DiMarco and Smith to be dropped by the D entirely, which is a pretty good assumption, IMO).

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, Mango said:

To me, watching it over and over, the toe-tap to Brown was an easy catch for a good receiver. He actually jumped at the last second when he didn't need to at all. He should have easily dragged his feet. Way bigger mistake by Brown than late throw by Josh IMO.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

To me, watching it over and over, the toe-tap to Brown was an easy catch for a good receiver. He actually jumped at the last second when he didn't need to at all. He should have easily dragged his feet. Way bigger mistake by Brown than late throw by Josh IMO.

I was talking Dimarco, Brown came open right at his cut. Throwing with anticipation there would have been a completion at the marker.

Agreed on the toe tap from Brown. Frustrating. It was a late throw, but not a crazy catch by any means. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

It's not a matter of whether Brown is a good receiver. He is, it's not a question.

But I totally agree that he should have dragged his feet, and that doing so would have made it a completion. That was just a mistake.

9 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

It's not a matter of whether Brown is a good receiver. He is, it's not a question.

But I totally agree that he should have dragged his feet, and that doing so would have made it a completion. That was just a mistake.

Oh, I think he is a very good receiver. I meant it was easy especially for him because he is good. It's a routine drag.

I really like him. That said, he and Beasley as a 2 and 3 would be excellent. They are just pretty good as a 1 and 2.

• Like (+1) 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/6/2020 at 9:41 PM, Agent 91 said:

I heard the play was designed to go to Singletary  and the deep routes were to just draw defenders. Just what I heard. Cant confirm it

That whole play sequence was so weird

1st down: what appears to be a designed run for Allen.  He is stuffed for a 2 yd loss.  Why are we calling a designed run for our QB in that instance?  But given we do, Allen does not appear to follow his blockers, where he would have potentially managed a respectable short gain.  Maybe 3 yds?  Instead, he tries to bounce outside and gets nailed for a 2 yd loss after taking multiple hits.  It can not improve a QB's ability to make quick reads and good decisions and throws to get nailed like that.  Daboll: STOP IT!!!!

2nd down: the deep bomb to Dimarco.  Houston only rushed 2, so there were 9 guys in coverage.  Doesn't look like Dimarco was Josh's first read, but it also doesn't look as though he ever gives Singletary a glance who (as he often is) is PAINFULLY open.  It also appears to me that Brown comes open across the middle before Josh throws, but by then Josh has drifted to the left and may not have a clear lane to him.  But here is Singletary, earlier in the play, near the 30 yd line with no unblocked defender within 7 yds:

image.thumb.png.687d11d5d4b3d3811132c4de97e8b5ae.png

Given that he is elusive and tough, chances are good he would manage to pick up at least 5 and maybe more. 

I am only 1/2 kidding when I suggest that Motor should be equipped with a 10 ft fiberglass pole topped by an orange safety flag to assist Allen in seeing him.

Oh, and of course we have Lee Smith running another route deep downfield.  ?

3rd down: conversion, 14 yd pass to Knox.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1