Jags fire Tom Coughlin

YoloinOhio

Defensive back A.J. Bouye acknowledged that he was once fined $10,000 for skipping a mandatory Yoga session.

″I know what work bests for me as a player, and they didn’t want to hear that,″ Bouye said. ″I remember one time I had an injury, and I got a little work done here, but I wanted to do all my work in my [hometown], and they were kind of getting on me.

Found this on a different site no link

Edited by Buffalo Bills Fan

4 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

What I am hearing from the talking heads on the radio (SportsHub 98.5) the Jags are rumored to want Scott Pioli and Mcdaniels in to run the operation. 

Possibly can make things worse for Jags then it is now............ They would be better off with Leslie Frazier if going for retreads.  (Frazier is a hell of a dc)

16 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

Long time coming. They’re a mess. Marrone lost the team. They had one run with that defense and everything fell apart. That epic failure so many have had chasing their tail every year trying to get a decent quarterback 

I don't think that the problems in Jax are because of Marrone.   Coughlin has always been a hard-arse, and he's run his teams like a stereotypical Marine drill sergeant, which doesn't fly with today's NFL players.  I think the fact that Coughlin was fired so close to the end of the season and just a day or two after the Jags lost the NFLPA grievance over "excessive fines" for players who didn't rehab at the Jags facility during the off-season -- among other grievances -- tells you all you need to know about who's the source of Jax's problems. 

4 minutes ago, SoTier said:

I don't think that the problems in Jax are because of Marrone.   Coughlin has always been a hard-arse, and he's run his teams like a stereotypical Marine drill sergeant, which doesn't fly with today's NFL players.  I think the fact that Coughlin was fired so close to the end of the season and just a day or two after the Jags lost the NFLPA grievance over "excessive fines" for players who didn't rehab at the Jags facility during the off-season -- among other grievances -- tells you all you need to know about who's the source of Jax's problems. 

.....read an article suggesting that the Czar was going to announce his retirement at the end of the season, but the Owner wanted to send a "change message" first, so he did not go out unscathed....

• Like (+1) 1

The problem with people like Coughlin is that they're not very amenable to change, and when legally mandated change comes down the pike (i.e., in the form of a new CBA), they act like it doesn't exist because it doesn't conform with their priors about best practices. This was an implosion that was waiting to happen. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Do you remember marrone? Nothing is going on in Jacksonville he’s not in support of. He’s a complete control freak in every aspect of his team. Those players quit on him. This year has been a mess but other than their deep playoff run the team doesn’t play hard for him. They have made a lot of moves that just look terrible. I can’t believe for a moment marrone didn’t sign off on signing Foles. Or trading Ramsey. I mean Coughlin I’m sure is not free of blame in the mess. But those two were a match made in heaven. No way Coughlin is making these moves and Doug isn’t in support. 

1 minute ago, Rc2catch said:

Do you remember marrone? Nothing is going on in Jacksonville he’s not in support of. He’s a complete control freak in every aspect of his team. Those players quit on him. This year has been a mess but other than their deep playoff run the team doesn’t play hard for him. They have made a lot of moves that just look terrible. I can’t believe for a moment marrone didn’t sign off on signing Foles. Or trading Ramsey. I mean Coughlin I’m sure is not free of blame in the mess. But those two were a match made in heaven. No way Coughlin is making these moves and Doug isn’t in support. 

Not according to Albert Breer:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/12/19/tom-coughlin-fired-jaguars-stephen-jones-cowboys-eagles-nfl-week-16-game-plan

"Over the last three years in Jacksonville, in his role as executive vice president of football operations, Tom Coughlin did his best to be respectful of Doug Marrone, the Jaguars’ head coach. But Coughlin’s desire to do coach-like things sure did make for a bizarre dynamic in Jacksonville. And you don’t have to look far to find people who picked up on it.

“Anyone would tell you they’d never seen anything like it,” one source said.

“Look across the other 31 teams, there’s not another role like that,” said another.

Indeed, Coughlin, in his golden years, was one of one; nowhere else was there an executive vice president who’s also a boots-on-the-ground minister of discipline. Nowhere else would simple mention of an EVP’s name elicit such a visceral response, well beyond the normal hard feelings of a tough contract negotiation or roster decision. Nowhere else would the head coach throw up his hands and openly concede a major football decision wasn’t his."

The whole piece is worth reading. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Not according to Albert Breer:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/12/19/tom-coughlin-fired-jaguars-stephen-jones-cowboys-eagles-nfl-week-16-game-plan

"Over the last three years in Jacksonville, in his role as executive vice president of football operations, Tom Coughlin did his best to be respectful of Doug Marrone, the Jaguars’ head coach. But Coughlin’s desire to do coach-like things sure did make for a bizarre dynamic in Jacksonville. And you don’t have to look far to find people who picked up on it.

“Anyone would tell you they’d never seen anything like it,” one source said.

“Look across the other 31 teams, there’s not another role like that,” said another.

Indeed, Coughlin, in his golden years, was one of one; nowhere else was there an executive vice president who’s also a boots-on-the-ground minister of discipline. Nowhere else would simple mention of an EVP’s name elicit such a visceral response, well beyond the normal hard feelings of a tough contract negotiation or roster decision. Nowhere else would the head coach throw up his hands and openly concede a major football decision wasn’t his."

The whole piece is worth reading. 

I still stand by my stance. Coughlin surely isn’t innocent in the blame. But marrone gets no pass from me. Maybe he keeps his job and we’ll find out next season. 

1 minute ago, Rc2catch said:

I still stand by my stance. Coughlin surely isn’t innocent in the blame. But marrone gets no pass from me. Maybe he keeps his job and we’ll find out next season. 

It sounds like you simply don't like Marrone and are ascribing sins to him that you don't have evidence for. My view is based on the fact that he never had a rep in Buffalo as a martinet (the team was pretty loose overall), and he was here for a couple of years. There are literally like a dozen sourced articles out there showing that this was all Coughlin. 

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

It sounds like you simply don't like Marrone and are ascribing sins to him that you don't have evidence for. My view is based on the fact that he never had a rep in Buffalo as a martinet (the team was pretty loose overall), and he was here for a couple of years. There are literally like a dozen sourced articles out there showing that this was all Coughlin. 

I do not like marrone one bit. Hated when he was hired. Hated his tenure here and his snarky look. Hated how he tried to control the press.  Hated his gutless coaching style. Don’t hate him for leaving, but absolutely hate him that Rex replaced him even if it’s not his fault. 
Even still, his Jags team quit on him. And he’s a failure as a head coach now in 2 places. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

I do not like marrone one bit. Hated when he was hired. Hated his tenure here and his snarky look. Hated how he tried to control the press.  Hated his gutless coaching style. Don’t hate him for leaving, but absolutely hate him that Rex replaced him even if it’s not his fault. 
Even still, his Jags team quit on him. And he’s a failure as a head coach now in 2 places. 

Hey, I don't like him either! But this is all Coughlin, and he was basically trying to replicate his crazily strict Jag regime of the 1990s. You can't go home again, though.

• Like (+1) 1

I dislike Marrone and how cocky they were (especially Jalen Ramsey was when on that team), their empty stadium, their fake Josh Allen ha ha, etc.

So they can implode all they want. But it is scary when, from the outside anyway, teams seem to implement a sound solid plan yet they implode. They had a superior defense but such a bad QB. They got get Foles, and now Minshew outplaying him... yet they suck. Just as when the Giants got Barkley and signed Solder and other linemen, it looked like a sound plan. Then there's the Rams & Eagles dominating for ONE year only...

Bottom line, all things sure seem to align in the right direction for our Bills, but let's enjoy the NOW. We just don't know for 2020 and beyond.

12 minutes ago, Jerome007 said:

I dislike Marrone and how cocky they were (especially Jalen Ramsey was when on that team), their empty stadium, their fake Josh Allen ha ha, etc.

So they can implode all they want. But it is scary when, from the outside anyway, teams seem to implement a sound solid plan yet they implode. They had a superior defense but such a bad QB. They got get Foles, and now Minshew outplaying him... yet they suck. Just as when the Giants got Barkley and signed Solder and other linemen, it looked like a sound plan. Then there's the Rams & Eagles dominating for ONE year only...

Bottom line, all things sure seem to align in the right direction for our Bills, but let's enjoy the NOW. We just don't know for 2020 and beyond.

I agree, but I think what you state points to the QB position meaning everything in today’s NFL. The best plans mean nothing without a QB in today’s NFL. Short term success can built upon being a complete team, but long term success is determined by whether or not you have a QB.