CBA Update - Plus, what changes would you make?

Virgil

3 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Something just popped into my head that I haven't really dwelled on very much before...

Especially in our division, which is generally full of bad teams and has been that way for a long time...

It is common for me to feel down in anticipation of that second game against division rivals.

This year, the Dolphins and Jets are perfect for this.

Do we really need to see either of those teams again?  These games are total non-events and we sure as hell don't need to play them TWICE in a single season.

Get rid of the double division games!  That rivalry era of football is dead anyway!

Funny to think of what the Pats would be saying just to avoid HALF of the season.

By the way - The Dolphins beat the Colts last week. They are not just laying down and giving up.

Depending on which Bills team shows up, we could lose to both the Jests and Fish!

8 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

Eliminate suspending a player for weed.

That's an interesting one for me.  It's not legal in the US yet, so why shouldn't it count as a ban?  Also, if someone shows up high for practice or a game, with the speed and level people play, aren't you creating the possibility of injury?

I'm just playing devil's advocate.  I couldn't honestly care less

11 hours ago, CLTbills said:

Agree with this... but why not just calculate net yardage? For example, if there is an illegal formation penalty called against the offense, which is a 5 yard penalty against the offense, but a roughing the passer called against the defense on the same play, which is a 15-yard penalty against the defense, then move the ball 10 yards forward. They definitely should not offset... but I think just because the other team got a "bigger" penalty doesn't mean the "lesser" penalty should be excused, IMO.

And DEFINITELY need to ditch Thursday night games. Garbage product.

Wrong.  This gets repeated all the time--repetition doesn't make it less incorrect.

TNF is a consistent ratings winner.  Itn routinely beats MNF. 

It's not going away.

Edited by Mr. WEO
  • Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Wrong.  This gets repeated all the time--repetition doesn't make it less incorrect.

TNF is a consistent ratings winner.  Itn routinely beats MNF. 

It's not going away.

Is that true?  I wonder how much of that is because MNF is on ESPN and cord cutters can’t watch.  I also feel like MNF gets the better matchups.  

17 hours ago, CLTbills said:

Complete myth.  There have been several great games this year, quite a few good ones, and no more bad ones than average.  As a player I might not like them, but as a fan, there is zero reason to want to get rid of Thursday games.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Virgil said:

Is that true?  I wonder how much of that is because MNF is on ESPN and cord cutters can’t watch.  I also feel like MNF gets the better matchups.  

The matchups are made well in advance and obviously are made to be most appealing based on the previous season results and off season story lines.  The NFL doesn't reserve "better" games for any of the night broadcasts.  It's in their interest to spread out what they think are the best matchups to all 3 nights.

21 hours ago, Virgil said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/11/13/game-nfl-season-is-becoming-more-likely-league-players-make-progress-labor-deal/

Hopefully this gets done and doesn't turn into another lockout.

As this is happening, what changes would you make to the CBA if you could?  For me:

• Eliminate playing your division teams twice.  Play a second conference series. disagree
  • Playoff seeding based solely off record disagree
  • 2 preseason games + 1 scrimmage 
  • 18 game season, 2 bye weeks 
  • 7 playoff teams, 1 gets a bye disagree ,actually hate this but sounds like it is happening
  • Eliminate franchise Tag disagree
  • Modify Transition Tag - If home team matches, the contract only counts 80% against their cap.  (ie 100 mil deal only counts as 80 mil).  Get's 2nd round compensation if they don't match disagree
  • Cut players get 50% of dead money from deal disagree
  • Deals, including rookie deals, can't be re-worked until the last last year of contract, unless certain incentives are met. disagree, I am a capitalist. Contracts get re-worked all the time. It is a myth that this sports specific. 
  • Eliminate Thursday Night Games (I personally like them, but players seem to hate them) disagree
  • Ref grading system.  They can be either fined or removed from future games seems like players and owners should both like this. not sure the refs union goes along. 
  • Teams keep challenges that are won agree
  • Move Kickoff back to 30 yard line or remove kickoffs altogether disagree
  • Holding becomes a 5 yard penalty disagree, does not seem like a CBA point in any case
  • Illegal contact no longer an automatic first down disagree, does not seem like a CBA point in any case
  • Offsetting fouls including personal fouls, not offset.  Personal foul trumps disagree, does not seem like a CBA point in any case
  • Overtime is a full 15 minutes.  With the TD requirement, some ties came after only two possessions for each team.  I would just let games end in ties and elimiinate regular season OT
  • Remove the blackout policy this would be great
  • End the priority deals with EA and DirecTv Not sure it is up to me to tell the NFL how to make money. It is a business not a public service. 

That's all I got for now, but reserve the right to change my mind

20 hours ago, CLTbills said:

Agree with this... but why not just calculate net yardage? For example, if there is an illegal formation penalty called against the offense, which is a 5 yard penalty against the offense, but a roughing the passer called against the defense on the same play, which is a 15-yard penalty against the defense, then move the ball 10 yards forward. They definitely should not offset... but I think just because the other team got a "bigger" penalty doesn't mean the "lesser" penalty should be excused, IMO.

IIRC years ago, if Team A was called for a 15 yard penalty and Team B a 5 yard penalty, they enforced the 15 yarder. I didn’t like when they had them offset.

22 hours ago, Virgil said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/11/13/game-nfl-season-is-becoming-more-likely-league-players-make-progress-labor-deal/

Hopefully this gets done and doesn't turn into another lockout.

As this is happening, what changes would you make to the CBA if you could?  For me:

• Eliminate playing your division teams twice.  Play a second conference series. - Not the way I'd go but wouldn't hate it.
  • Playoff seeding based solely off record - Nah I like the division winner home games.
  • 2 preseason games + 1 scrimmage - Not sure why it hasn't already happened to be honest - YES.
  • 18 game season, 2 bye weeks - Agree and it will happen if not this time then next - I think should be accompanied by a 3 player roster expansion to 56 and a 50 man active game day roster.
  • 7 playoff teams, 1 gets a bye - I'd keep as it is but this one is going to happen IMO.
  • Eliminate franchise Tag - I'd keep it but I'd make it only applicable to Quarterbacks. They are the only franchise changers in any event.
  • Modify Transition Tag - If home team matches, the contract only counts 80% against their cap.  (ie 100 mil deal only counts as 80 mil).  Get's 2nd round compensation if they don't match - No - once you start making salary cap exceptions it is a slippery slope.
  • Cut players get 50% of dead money from deal - I'm in favour of moving towards fully guaranteed contracts.
  • Deals, including rookie deals, can't be re-worked until the last last year of contract, unless certain incentives are met - I'm in agreement with that.
  • Eliminate Thursday Night Games (I personally like them, but players seem to hate them) - I like my Thursday games and I think while the first few years the games were mostly awful they have adjusted in how they prepare for them now and the quality is no less than the MNF.
  • Ref grading system.  They can be either fined or removed from future games - Won't happen but I wouldn't oppose this.
  • Teams keep challenges that are won - Two challenges is enough for me.
  • Move Kickoff back to 30 yard line or remove kickoffs altogether - I don't know what the answer is on this one but they need to do something.
  • Holding becomes a 5 yard penalty - Agree and not an automatic first down for defensive holding.
  • Illegal contact no longer an automatic first down - Agree.
  • Offsetting fouls including personal fouls, not offset.  Personal foul trumps - This has to happen for hit to the head and hit on defenceless receiver.
  • Overtime is a full 15 minutes.  With the TD requirement, some ties came after only two possessions for each team - Scrap overtime in the regular season. A tie is a tie. Get over it.
  • Remove the blackout policy - I thought they had?
  • End the priority deals with EA and DirecTv - doesn't affect me. Don't care.

That's all I got for now, but reserve the right to change my mind

Great thread Virgil - and some good ideas floated. My reactions in red.

• Like (+1) 1