Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Pokebball

Baker being Baker

Recommended Posts

16 hours ago, eball said:

I dunno, I don't really have a problem with anything Baker said, but he probably needs to just control himself.  It was a dumb question by the reporter.

And before the last question, the reporter wouldn't even let Baker finish a sentence before interrupting him. Yes, dumb question.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Grossi proclaimed that he would retire if the Browns drafted him. Baker searches his mentions all the time on twitter so found out and blocked him. 

If Grossi did proclaim he would retire, that's not professional, at all.  I wouldn't even acknowledge him after games. Wouldn't even look his way. Or ask the following:

"Hey dude, you're retired. Why are you even here? Next." 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Dopey said:

If Grossi did proclaim he would retire, that's not professional, at all.  I wouldn't even acknowledge him after games. Wouldn't even look his way. Or ask the following:

"Hey dude, you're retired. Why are you even here? Next." 

 

Baker went after him quite a bit last year about it 

  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What if the 2018 qb class just isn’t that good?  Looks super mediocre right now. 

 

And i hated Baker’s personality in college but grew to respect it. But when you’re losing and playing bad, he comes across like a spoiled little brat.  But some media members deserve to be treated like garbage because they talk real reckless (ie Jerry Sullivan).

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, stuvian said:

John Dorsey has whiffed badly on two head coaches now. 

 

Dorsey didn't hire Jackson.

13 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

What if the 2018 qb class just isn’t that good?  Looks super mediocre right now. 

 

And i hated Baker’s personality in college but grew to respect it. But when you’re losing and playing bad, he comes across like a spoiled little brat.  But some media members deserve to be treated like garbage because they talk real reckless (ie Jerry Sullivan).

 

I remember making the point in 2017 that I thought the 2017 class could be as good. The argument at the time was "there might be 8 guys in the 2018 class the chances are better."

 

Would you swap any of those guys half way through year 2 with where Watson or Mahomes were at the same stage?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

 

 

A leetle disingenous at the end by Grossi, don't you think?

" Mayfield has the toughest job on the team, no doubt. For that reason, he has to be the most mentally tough for the team to succeed. For the first time, I question if he has it in him. "

 

Nah, Grossi, not the first time.

 

It's not exactly news that Mayfield has been motivating himself for years with negativity.  As Grossi says "Operates best as an Angry man"

The question is whether he can sustain anger and negativity as motivation through the ups and downs of an NFL career.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

 

A leetle disingenous at the end by Grossi, don't you think?

" Mayfield has the toughest job on the team, no doubt. For that reason, he has to be the most mentally tough for the team to succeed. For the first time, I question if he has it in him. "

 

Nah, Grossi, not the first time.

 

It's not exactly news that Mayfield has been motivating himself for years with negativity.  As Grossi says "Operates best as an Angry man"

The question is whether he can sustain anger and negativity as motivation through the ups and downs of an NFL career.

 

 

I took that as Grossi wondering for the first time if Mayfield has mental toughness in him. But maybe he has questioned it before. I understand he’s questioned his abilities a lot before. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

 

A leetle disingenous at the end by Grossi, don't you think?

" Mayfield has the toughest job on the team, no doubt. For that reason, he has to be the most mentally tough for the team to succeed. For the first time, I question if he has it in him. "

 

Nah, Grossi, not the first time.

 

It's not exactly news that Mayfield has been motivating himself for years with negativity.  As Grossi says "Operates best as an Angry man"

The question is whether he can sustain anger and negativity as motivation through the ups and downs of an NFL career.

 

 

He definitely has an agenda! Baker needs to not play into it though. He’s just giving him what he wants 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mayfield is very immature.  Too emotional, and a QB should not be that external with it.

 

He could grow out of it.  We will see. Lots of ability there.  

 

Im rooting for them to lose to the Broncos though.  The thing could fly off the tracks right on time for the Bills' game.

 

 

 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

What if the 2018 qb class just isn’t that good?  Looks super mediocre right now. 

 

And i hated Baker’s personality in college but grew to respect it. But when you’re losing and playing bad, he comes across like a spoiled little brat.  But some media members deserve to be treated like garbage because they talk real reckless (ie Jerry Sullivan).

 

The talk as though 2018 would produce 4 great NFL QB was way overblown.  Typical productivity for a QB draft class is 0-2 guys.  And that's not two "magical franchise guys" that's maybe 1 good and 1 capable NFL QB.

 

There is no one so far who has done an unambiguous Russell Wilson on the class, but right now the most promising would have to be said to be Lamar Jackson.

 

Playoffs 1st year, clear improvement as a passer and in ball security year 1 to year 2.  Sustainable?  Don't know - I think Roman's passing game has design limitations.  But I also think Jackson is potentially less limited as a passer than he's had before in Taylor and Kaepernick, and a better running athlete than Kaepernick was.

 

I'd like to say I see our Allen as the other guy, but he's got to show that he can control the turnovers consistently without curtailing his own productivity.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

What if the 2018 qb class just isn’t that good?  Looks super mediocre right now. 

 

And i hated Baker’s personality in college but grew to respect it. But when you’re losing and playing bad, he comes across like a spoiled little brat.  But some media members deserve to be treated like garbage because they talk real reckless (ie Jerry Sullivan).

The media does bait.  Personally, I think it's important for team leaders to respond appropriately in those situations.  Everyone in the room knew the reporter was being reckless with his questions.  They didn't need Baker going off on him to know it.  While the reporter deserved it, Baker has to be smarter than this.

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

 

The talk as though 2018 would produce 4 great NFL QB was way overblown.  Typical productivity for a QB draft class is 0-2 guys.  And that's not two "magical franchise guys" that's maybe 1 good and 1 capable NFL QB.

 

There is no one so far who has done an unambiguous Russell Wilson on the class, but right now the most promising would have to be said to be Lamar Jackson.

 

Playoffs 1st year, clear improvement as a passer and in ball security year 1 to year 2.  Sustainable?  Don't know - I think Roman's passing game has design limitations.  But I also think Jackson is potentially less limited as a passer than he's had before in Taylor and Kaepernick, and a better running athlete than Kaepernick was.

 

I'd like to say I see our Allen as the other guy, but he's got to show that he can control the turnovers consistently without curtailing his own productivity.

 

They all have a lot to prove.  Jackson has a high chance of getting hurt early in his career if he keeps doing what he's doing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I remember making the point in 2017 that I thought the 2017 class could be as good. The argument at the time was "there might be 8 guys in the 2018 class the chances are better."

 

Would you swap any of those guys half way through year 2 with where Watson or Mahomes were at the same stage?

 

Gunner, please.  You've made this point over and over again.

 

You have to know that the situation Mahomes in particular came into was far far different than the situation any of the 2018 guys came into.  He was drafted onto a team that was already a winner, having been to the playoffs 3 straight years.  He sat for a year behind a savvy and capable veteran QB having a career year.  He is coached by one of the best regular-season HC in football with a track record of developing QB.  He has a great WR and a great TE.  Which of the 2018 class came into a situation anything close to that? 

LJax would probably have the closest match in a stable situation, but it's not that close in overall offensive talent especially last year's line.

 

You can believe that Mahomes and Watson are so supremely talented that they would overcome any obstacle, but at that point, it's a religious dogma.  It's quite possible that if Mahomes had a WR coach as his QB coach, no OL, no WR, and got thrown into the fire without a veteran presence in the QB room his rookie season, he would still look like a promising QB but nothing like the set-the-NFL-on-fire guy we've seen.

 

 

7 minutes ago, Pokebball said:

The media does bait.  Personally, I think it's important for team leaders to respond appropriately in those situations.  Everyone in the room knew the reporter was being reckless with his questions.  They didn't need Baker going off on him to know it.  While the reporter deserved it, Baker has to be smarter than this.

 

Agreed.  Sometimes people are jerks, but giving them what they deserve just descends to their level.

 

I'm reminded of a story about two Buddhist monks who come to a flooded river crossing.  A woman is on the bank tearfully pleading for help in crossing the river.  The elder of the monks takes her on his back, carries her across, puts her down, and continues on with his brother monk, making no comment.

Some hours later, the younger monk can stand it no longer and bursts out "How could you!  We are prohibited from contact with women, yet you carried that woman against your body!"  The elder monk turns to him and says "Brother, I set that woman down on the bank of the river.  Why are you still carrying her?"

Baker is still carrying a ton of stuff unrelated to how well he plays QB when he steps on the field on Sunday.  I think eventually, it will weigh him down.

  • Like (+1) 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

 

Gunner, please.  You've made this point over and over again.

 

You have to know that the situation Mahomes in particular came into was far far different than the situation any of the 2018 guys came into.  He was drafted onto a team that was already a winner, having been to the playoffs 3 straight years.  He sat for a year behind a savvy and capable veteran QB having a career year.  He is coached by one of the best regular-season HC in football with a track record of developing QB.  He has a great WR and a great TE.  Which of the 2018 class came into a situation anything close to that? 

LJax would probably have the closest match in a stable situation, but it's not that close in overall offensive talent especially last year's line.

 

You can believe that Mahomes and Watson are so supremely talented that they would overcome any obstacle, but at that point, it's a religious dogma.  It's quite possible that if Mahomes had a WR coach as his QB coach, no OL, no WR, and got thrown into the fire without a veteran presence in the QB room his rookie season, he would still look like a promising QB but nothing like the set-the-NFL-on-fire guy we've seen.

 

 

 

Agreed.  Sometimes people are jerks, but giving them what they deserve just descends to their level.

So you're saying that was better than the situation Josh Rosen entered into?

  • Haha (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The reporter seems like a prick who goes out of his way to stir the pot. Baker should know better. 

He's in a major sophomore slump, but long term, I still believe he'll develop into a top tier player. 

The ability is there. He set the rookie TD record last year for a reason. 

 

Edited by TheElectricCompany
  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Browns are a Jay Gruden hire away from being a top tier AFC team

 

Jay Gruden is a great QB coach and a great OC. Decent HC (IMO) but Washington is a disaster as an organization

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Players are all about it being a business when they want to get paid, but when they have to deal with something they don't like...they act like putting up with stupid sh*t from their customers/media isn't part of the business. Then you get the yahoos who are like, "Imagine if you had to deal with the media at your job". Well, if that was a PART OF MY JOB then I'd deal with it or I'd get a new job. 

 

If Baker goes and works at McDonalds then no reporters are going to come ask him "stupid" questions. It's literally a required part of their job to deal with the media. Grow up and get over it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Dopey said:

And before the last question, the reporter wouldn't even let Baker finish a sentence before interrupting him. Yes, dumb question.

Given your username, I guess you would know what you are talking about here.

 

:lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He's allowed to think these things, but it's a bad look for him to say them and to act that way.

For comparison/contrast, look at how Deshaun Watson recently answered a dumb question by a reporter:

 

 

  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Logic said:

He's allowed to think these things, but it's a bad look for him to say them and to act that way.

For comparison/contrast, look at how Deshaun Watson recently answered a dumb question by a reporter:

 

 

Watson wasn’t brought up being fed peeled grapes and water flown in from Chile as an entitled child nor coddled, and doesn’t need a pacifier when things aren’t perfect

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/17284078/oklahoma-sooners-qb-baker-mayfield-used-defying-critics

 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Logic said:

He's allowed to think these things, but it's a bad look for him to say them and to act that way.

For comparison/contrast, look at how Deshaun Watson recently answered a dumb question by a reporter:

 

 

I really like him.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...