Wegmans opens in Brooklyn

On 10/28/2019 at 10:52 PM, Augie said:

Publix has made me mad recently. They have a very reliable experience, kind of like a Hampton Inn. Never special, but you get something....safe. What bothers me is realizing I can get many items for less at Whole Foods, despite the reputations. Honey crisp apples at WF were $2.99, but I was going to Publix next...I got them for $3.49.  I can get my milk at Publix for $2.49, but at Kroger it’s $1.89. I heard a guy on the radio years ago saying milk is cheaper in Manhattan than at a Publix in Florida. NOW I believe it. When my wife was on her “vegetable of the month kick” (Brussels sprouts? Broccolini?) they were of out it 6 out of 8 times I went in. Whatever herb I’m looking for is the one they just ran out of. I can buy the live plant....for a dollar or two more. They sell 5.5 oz portions of tuna and/or swordfish for like $9.99, but do the math right on the card and tell you it’s $28-35/lb. Kroger’s sell it for $9.99/POUND. Once I started realizing this, it started getting to me. I’m not cheap, but I’m not (too) stupid. A gas station across the road from us has people lining up to buy gas at $2.99/gallon. A mile in either direction you can buy gas for $2.43/gallon. I don’t like to be taken for a sucker.

Don’t get me wrong, I like the Publix experience. I know more than a dozen employees by name, and one guy even remembers my date of birth I buy so much wine there! (That’s NOT something to brag about!)  I’m there about 6 days a week, on average. But if you pay attention, Publix is taking advantage of the good family vibe they have. (They have FAR better employees than the Kroger stores near us, so that may be where a little of the price increase goes.) 

Rant over.  ?

You are sooooo retired. Lol!

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

I loved The Fresh Market before they were sold. Still pretty good afterwards, just not "quite" the same. I always wanted one in WNY.

Trader Joe's and Aldi's share an owner. While I do not care for Aldi's, I will hit Trader Joes's for dried fruits and raw & roasted nuts (cheapest non-sale nut prices I can find).

Fresh Market sucks now IMHO. 

And you are so on in terms of Nuts at Trader Joes. But damn, they are killing me with no pine nuts since like mid July. Had to make all my pesto to be frozen  this year with walnuts instead. They keep telling me they are expecting them, just have not come in yet. I would estimate they are 65% cheaper there than in a grocery store

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

You are sooooo retired. Lol!

Ohhh, you have NO idea how bad this has gotten! I was at Kroger earlier waiting to be served to get my cod for $6.99/lb when my phone rang. The dog was done at the groomers so I left to get her. On the way out I notice the milk is normally $1.89, but on sale for $1.15.  Hmmm.....

So I take the dog home and run out to my convenient Publix and buy my cod for $11.99 and see the milk is $2.49. I’ve never noticed these things before! I am ANGRY! (But probably still too lazy to drive the extra mile to Kroger on a regular basis....) This isn’t a few extra cents on a gallon of gas, this is HUGE....and for the last 25 years I had no idea they were robbing me blind!? 

I accept that I have a problem! Now I have to figure out how to deal with it. 

On 10/30/2019 at 8:08 PM, mead107 said:

Aldi is really a great place.   
I also love Wegmans. 

Aldi is the best super market I've ever been to, I wish more super market's would follow their way of things yet truth be told the bigger super markets want to keep you there longer so you'll buy more stuff. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/31/2019 at 4:17 PM, Marv's Neighbor said:

No plastic grocery bags there either.  Saving Brooklyn for the future generations ya know.

Wegmans (and NY) is heading towards eliminating plastic bags by early next year...

https://www.wegmans.com/news-media/press-releases/2019/reusable-bags--not-paper--will-solve-the-environmental-challenge.html

8 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

Wegmans (and NY) is heading towards eliminating plastic bags by early next year...

https://www.wegmans.com/news-media/press-releases/2019/reusable-bags--not-paper--will-solve-the-environmental-challenge.html

My county (20-30 miles east of Brooklyn) instituted a 5 cent plastic bag law starting January 2018. 

Remembering to bring the reusable bags took some getting used to and I still forget from time to time, but I have no complaint with the law. 

12 hours ago, Just Jack said:

It's already happened in Virginia.  Think it changed late October.  We usually asked for paper and they are still available for .05 per bag.

21 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

My good buddy Kevin Cuff is the store manager of the new Wegmans in Brooklyn.  Started at the Auburn, NY location as a “cart boy” and eventually a cashier when he was 14 years old.  Great dude.  I hope the new store does well.

My kid who lives in Brooklyn going on 10 years, has been talking about this Wegmans for like two years.

I'm like, seriously ?

My friend who hadn't lived here in decades came up for the Miami game and see old sites.

Going to Wegmans was a must do....I'm like, seriously ?

I went to their carry out Cafe for a sub an hour ago, 1st time ever. Place was mobbed, lines everywhere.

I'm like, seriously ?

2 hours ago, I am the egg man said:

My kid who lives in Brooklyn going on 10 years, has been talking about this Wegmans for like two years.

I'm like, seriously ?

My friend who hadn't lived here in decades came up for the Miami game and see old sites.

Going to Wegmans was a must do....I'm like, seriously ?

I went to their carry out Cafe for a sub an hour ago, 1st time ever. Place was mobbed, lines everywhere.

I'm like, seriously ?

Yeah, seriously.

2 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Yeah, seriously.

I've been in different grocery store chains around the country.

I pretty much just beeline around them when in them.

Never occurred to me Wegmans was unique.

Should have bought stock in '77.

Same with M&T Bank.

Edited by I am the egg man