Wegmans opens in Brooklyn

I went into Wegman’s just out of curiosity when I was back last month. It was awesome!  I wish they were in my neck of the woods.

Publix dominates down here, and while the facilities are fine (but nothing special), they are very expensive, often higher than Whole Foods. But you see one every two miles in the southeast. 

***** Wegmans and Brooklyn too.  Over-rated followed by cultists.

4 minutes ago, Augie said:

I went into Wegman’s just out of curiosity when I was back last month. It was awesome!  I wish they were in my neck of the woods.

Publix dominates down here, and while the facilities are fine (but nothing special), they are very expensive, often higher than Whole Foods. But you see one every two miles in the southeast. 

No you don't.  See my post above.  LoL... 

J/K... Enjoy!

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

***** Wegmans and Brooklyn too.  Over-rated followed by cultists.

No you don't.  See my post above.  LoL... 

J/K... Enjoy!

It was better than any of my options. Don’t know about pricing. FWIW, my sister in Wisconsin shops at places that make me jealous. Publix floods a market so thoroughly that it makes competition difficult. 

1 hour ago, Augie said:

Publix is by far my favorite tradional grocery store chain. Since we are no longer snowbirds in Florida, I miss shopping at Publix.

Wegmans? Blech. They are the closest grocery store to me and I have not been inside in two years. Now, if I wanted to eat prepared foods at a grocery store? Yeah, I would go to Wegmans.

NYC grocery stores leave a lot to be desired, and this should make them up their game. It happened in Jersey... crappy little grocery stores with no Wegmans in sight and then a little further out, a Wegmans, and BAM! The Shop Rite and Pathmark next door (well, close enough) are suddenly big, clean, and lit. 

Edited by Buffalo_Gal
Autocorrect hated the words Publix and Wegmans

10 hours ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Public is by far my favorite tradional grocery store chain. Since we are no longer snowbirds in Florida, I miss shopping at Publix.

Wegmans? Blech. They are the closest grocery store to me and I have not been inside in two years. Now, if I wanted to eat prepared foods at a grocery store? Yeah, I would go to Wegmans.

NYC grocery stores leave a lot to be desired, and this should make them up their game. It happened in Jersey... crappy little grocery stores with no Wegmans in sight and then a little further out, a Wegmans, and BAM! The Shop Rite and Pathmark next door (well, close enough) are suddenly big, clean, and lit. 

Publix has made me mad recently. They have a very reliable experience, kind of like a Hampton Inn. Never special, but you get something....safe. What bothers me is realizing I can get many items for less at Whole Foods, despite the reputations. Honey crisp apples at WF were $2.99, but I was going to Publix next...I got them for $3.49.  I can get my milk at Publix for $2.49, but at Kroger it’s $1.89. I heard a guy on the radio years ago saying milk is cheaper in Manhattan than at a Publix in Florida. NOW I believe it. When my wife was on her “vegetable of the month kick” (Brussels sprouts? Broccolini?) they were of out it 6 out of 8 times I went in. Whatever herb I’m looking for is the one they just ran out of. I can buy the live plant....for a dollar or two more. They sell 5.5 oz portions of tuna and/or swordfish for like $9.99, but do the math right on the card and tell you it’s $28-35/lb. Kroger’s sell it for $9.99/POUND. Once I started realizing this, it started getting to me. I’m not cheap, but I’m not (too) stupid. A gas station across the road from us has people lining up to buy gas at $2.99/gallon. A mile in either direction you can buy gas for $2.43/gallon. I don’t like to be taken for a sucker.

Don’t get me wrong, I like the Publix experience. I know more than a dozen employees by name, and one guy even remembers my date of birth I buy so much wine there! (That’s NOT something to brag about!)  I’m there about 6 days a week, on average. But if you pay attention, Publix is taking advantage of the good family vibe they have. (They have FAR better employees than the Kroger stores near us, so that may be where a little of the price increase goes.) 

Rant over.  ?

Edited by Augie

2 hours ago, Augie said:

It was better than any of my options. Don’t know about pricing. FWIW, my sister in Wisconsin shops at places that make me jealous. Publix floods a market so thoroughly that it makes competition difficult. 

Publix wasn't bad IMO when I was down there.

I never got the fascination with "perimeter shopping" at the supermarket.  Maybe Wegmans has that nailed down, but I can never find the brands I want when shopping "up the gut" (down the aisles) @ Wegmans... Like shopping at Kroger/Food 4 Less.  

Just my take.

17 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I never got the fascination with "perimeter shopping" at the supermarket.  Maybe Wegmans has that nailed down, but I can never find the brands I want when shopping "up the gut" (down the aisles) @ Wegmans... Like shopping at Kroger/Food 4 Less.  

Just my take.

Correct, Publix is not BAD, but just 5-40% too expensive on a lot of things. And sometimes a little less. It’s a nice place to shop, but now that I do WF and Kroger more, I realize it ain’t cheap! 

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

Do they have a Tree??? 

44 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

a better title would have been "A Wegmans Grows in Brooklyn," you ignorant sot. 

Dammit Late again !!!! 

7 minutes ago, GG said:

No, a tree grows next to it.

Wegmans like every other store has certain items that are much less expensive than other stores and conversely items that are much more expensive than other stores.

I like the bulk meats at Wegmans.  Decent price and usually a decent quality.   Milk at a great price and not over $4/gal. 

Other items in VA I can not get other than Wegmans is Boss Sauce and Grandma Browns Baked Beans  :wub: ?

Their Subs are not as great as they used to be 20 years ago where one sandwich was a WHOLE (larger) Italian bread for $7.00 !!! 

I can still get a 12 inch thinner loaf for $7.00.  

The cycle is the same with the other top stores WRT to prices   Its like they force you to shop multiple times to get the best prices. 

1 minute ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

Wegmans like every other store has certain items that are much less expensive than other stores and conversely items that are much more expensive than other stores.

I like the bulk meats at Wegmans.  Decent price and usually a decent quality.   Milk at a great price and not over $4/gal. 

Other items in VA I can not get other than Wegmans is Boss Sauce and Grandma Browns Baked Beans  :wub: ?

Their Subs are not as great as they used to be 20 years ago where one sandwich was a WHOLE (larger) Italian bread for $7.00 !!! 

I can still get a 12 inch thinner loaf for $7.00.  

The cycle is the same with the other top stores WRT to prices   Its like they force you to shop multiple times to get the best prices. 

How do you like Harris Teeter? There is one near my daughter in VA that I would consider good, and one in a NC suburb of Charlotte that I have been to many times and am more impressed with.

3 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

How do you like Harris Teeter? There is one near my daughter in VA that I would consider good, and one in a NC suburb of Charlotte that I have been to many times and am more impressed with.

IMO Harris Teeter was trying to copy Wegmans when I first went there in NC 20 years ago.

They are on the better side of Food Lion :sick: but they still have the same flaws as the other stores. 

1 Qt of Half and Half I get under $2.00 compared to $3.50 plus 

Lunch meats are ok.  Meat cuts OK but not better than Weggies. 

Breads ...  both ..  $4.50 a loaf.  I have a loaf for them all right.   Even when I find a French loaf for $2.79 its was always packed 2 or days earlier. 

Give me a loaf of Giant bread at $1.99.  A Weis just opened up close to me.  Fresh bread every day

2 minutes ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

IMO Harris Teeter was trying to copy Wegmans when I first went there in NC 20 years ago.

They are on the better side of Food Lion :sick: but they still have the same flaws as the other stores. 

1 Qt of Half and Half I get under $2.00 compared to $3.50 plus 

Lunch meats are ok.  Meat cuts OK but not better than Weggies. 

Breads ...  both ..  $4.50 a loaf.  I have a loaf for them all right.   Even when I find a French loaf for $2.79 its was always packed 2 or days earlier. 

Give me a loaf of Giant bread at $1.99.  A Weis just opened up close to me.  Fresh bread every day

The Harris Teeter in NC did remind me a bit of Wegmans in that both are clearly superior to downstate supermarkets.

This summer I was in the Wegmans in Williamsville and actually found a 4 pack of 16 ounce Collective Arts Life in the Clouds IPA. I think it cost me 13 or 14 dollars too but who cares? THAT is what I call a super market!!! :):thumbsup::)

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Just my take.

This is the second time I've heard this opinion about not finding brands. I've never once had the issue. As a matter of fact, I do most of my shopping at Aldi and only go to Wegs if I'm looking for brand name stuff. 

I also worked there for 7 years during HS and college and never heard this complaint once.  Enlighten me, please. 

Awesome!  The NYC grocery market should prepare to no longer exist in a few years.

Wegmans now has 3 stores in the greater DC metro area and they annihilate all competition wherever they go.

It's the best grocery store chain in America, and I would love to see them put everyone else out of business.

If we could all have a Wegmans near where we live, it would be a better country.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Augie said:

Correct, Publix is not BAD, but just 5-40% too expensive on a lot of things. And sometimes a little less. It’s a nice place to shop, but now that I do WF and Kroger more, I realize it ain’t cheap! 

You are 100% correct... a great place to shop but virtually everything they sell is marked Way up. I have one right across the street and a walmart neighborhood marked 900 feet away from them. 

Almost every single item is a dollar or two less at the walmart. Everything really. Sometimes they do have decent bogo's though. What Publix Does have that no one else around here does is Boars Head meats and cheeses. Boars Head natural casing dogs are pretty damn good too.