We have to remember that the ENTIRE offense was made over this offseason.

njbuff

Just now, NoSaint said:

To be fair, he never really HAS to make hero throws. Hes chosen to make them. He’s made some bad choices under stress. It happens. Especially when the games still moving fast for you. But outside of exceptional late game circumstances he never really has to. 

Im not excusing him for making the poor decision, but at the same time better play around him will negate the temptation and frequency of Josh trying to do too much.  

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

It's even less amazing when you consider that the new players are seasoned vets..........Brown, Beasley, Gore, Morse, Feliciano, Long...........it's not like they are trying to build a team around young players on offense.   Cody Ford is the one rookie who has played a lot and he's struggled.    The story is vets playing like vets around a young QB who.....as you said is going thru growing pains.

That said the reason they can't score is because they lack big time matchup winners on offense.     I've heard people lament that they are moving the ball but not scoring...........but that's what most defenses try to make you do.   

Yup. 

We are still missing a serious matchup challenge. We have a lot of the good filler but are still missing the guy that keeps a coordinator up at night because he takes more defenders than you can dedicate to him play in and play out. Allen’s big arms and legs may be the closest, but he needs a big time playmaker still. Especially while he learns to distribute the ball efficiently and maximize his stress on a defense instead of them stressing him

If brown was a #2 and beasley taking on nickel backs we’d be a much more potent team. 

3 hours ago, Augie said:

Watching that, I wonder two things:

1) Could/should he have have hit Knox over the middle much sooner?

2) Why the heck did Yeldon stomp on the brakes? 

No excuse for not completing that with 39 seconds to watch it develop!  ?

But seriously, it is funny how we (or at least I) sit here and dissect this with no real clue as to how fast it’s happening in real time, or what those giant assassins will do to you if they catch you! 

I think Yeldon stopped because he saw Beasley and thought it was intended for him. But Yeldon was the most open guy and if he keeps going, it’s a catch most likely. He had position on the DB.

5 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Im not excusing him for making the poor decision, but at the same time better play around him will negate the temptation and frequency of Josh trying to do too much.  

I get it- but also think words matter on that one and he’s in a situation where the only thing he shouldn’t do is play hero ball, so it stands out when someone says he had to do it. 

I get it’s shooting off a quick note on a message board so not trying to single you out or anything - just an important distinction in the narrative that I think as a collective we often take for granted. Especially when hoping the young QB is the guy.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Who here has forgotten? C’mon, speak up and take your whoopin’ like a Man!

Guilty as charged. Had no idea. I did notice that gritty little guy with the blonde hair catching passes. I THOUGHT he was new because I don't remember seeing him last season. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, CincyBillsFan said:

After watching this I would file it under S!!T happens.  IMO this supports that:

*  Allen is not playing hero ball here.  He is being aggressive which IMO is a good thing.

*  I like how Allen scans the field working through his progressions.

Folks saying that Knox was open are seeing fools gold IMO.  #26 is ready to jump all over any throw to Knox over the middle.  At minimum Knox would have gotten blown up.

*  My best guess as to what happened is that Allen expected EITHER Beasley or Yeldon to run into the space where he put the ball.  If either do I think it's a completed pass for a 1st down.  The problem is that both receivers did the right thing to hold up and let the other guy move into that space.  So like I said before S!!T happens. 

*  Either Beasley or Yeldon should have taken off deep on a go pattern.  That way the one who took off would have cleared their cover guy out of the middle and maybe even have provided a great deep strike opportunity.  Bottom line is the scramble drill needs work.

If Knox sits down in that space, Josh’s arm makes that happen easily IMO. Keep running and he could get crushed, but he’s a physical TE vs a DB.  But obviously we will never know. 

We won, I’m happy! 

Edited by Augie
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, freddyjj said:

Per ESPN play by play online it was 3rd and 5 from BUF 35 

A deep ball here wouldn’t have hurt.

I’d like to see more rub routes, get Beasley the ball. Or even Knox.

At the worst a Draw. 

Just dont like the 10-15 yard routes, Josh sitting in the pocket for 3 seconds when all we need is 5 yards.

Like I said. Deep ball, a quick pass or a draw.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

I just posted this in another thread.

I added the All 22 view of the interception below. I still believe he is throwing to Yeldon. When he first takes the snap he first looks to Beasley and then over to Yeldon. He then scrambles to avoid a sack, looks to Beasley again and then to Yeldon. When the ball leaves Allen's hand, the DB is almost directly behind Yeldon. If Yeldon continues running, he almost certainly would have stayed in front of the DB and be in position to make the catch.

I first blamed Yeldon; however, I will change my mind and put the blame on neither. As I said in another post, you have WRs trying to adjust to a QB trying to evade a sack, and a QB trying to react to the WR's adjustments. Not to mention, it involved a QB and 3 WRs who have played 5 total NFL games together. 

I don't think it was an ill advised pass. Allen had stopped and set up. He was interpreting the adjustment of his WR and put the ball where he thought that WR would be.

•  

I still blame Josh mostly. I think Yeldon would have had a chance on it had he not given up on the route but Josh has to realize that that play is a completely unnecessary risk and just throw the ball away. When you have a lights out defense playing well you should be more risk averse. There is no shame in tossing that one away, why take a shot from an LB to take a low percentage shot that Yeldon might make a play on the ball? 

Watching that play live I was really thinking he should just throw the ball away by the point number 58 was bearing down on him. He had been doing it most of the game so I don't know why he suddenly was trying to hero ball it. 

1 hour ago, NoSaint said:

I get it- but also think words matter on that one and he’s in a situation where the only thing he shouldn’t do is play hero ball, so it stands out when someone says he had to do it. 

I get it’s shooting off a quick note on a message board so not trying to single you out or anything - just an important distinction in the narrative that I think as a collective we often take for granted. Especially when hoping the young QB is the guy.

I don’t disagree with this, and yeah was just a quick note as on several bad INTs Josh had no where to go with the ball prior to making what was ultimately a poor decision to force something.  He has to learn to let plays go for sure, he does that and we would be undefeated right now.  

1 hour ago, Augie said:

If Knox sits down in that space, Josh’s arm makes that happen easily IMO. Keep running and he could get crushed, but he’s a physical TE vs a DB.  But obviously we will never know. 

We won, I’m happy! 

Great point.  As Knox gains more experience he will sit down in that hole and Allen will hit him for the 1st down.  It's easy to forget that not only is Knox a rookie he's a TE that had almost no involvement in the passing game in college.  His upside is off the charts IMO.

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Great point.  As Knox gains more experience he will sit down in that hole and Allen will hit him for the 1st down.  It's easy to forget that not only is Knox a rookie he's a TE that had almost no involvement in the passing game in college.  His upside is off the charts IMO.

It all goes back to the point of this thread, these guys are mostly young, and all new to each other. I look forward to a lot of growth over the course of the season! PLEASE! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Augie said:

I did talk to a couple people over the weekend who didn’t realize we had NINE (9) new starters on offense. How often do you have that kind of turnover on one side of the ball? That’s crazy stuff! I just hope and pray it starts clicking! I’m excited to get everyone healthy and see what Singletary brings to the table. 

....add in new OL Coach and new QB Coach....plus Daboll getting acclimated to his shiny new toys....plenty of "newness" IMO......

Somebody please make sure there’s a new thread every week about remembering the offense is brand new this year. Except, it isn’t. The QB who started the most games returns, his backup returns, his LT returns. 3 WRs return, though 1 was just traded. Most importantly, the Offensive Coordinator returns. I digress.

REMEMBER!!

14 hours ago, njbuff said:

I am guilty of being incredibly upset at Allen for throwing that pick against Tennessee, I’ll admit.

The bad game against NE left a sour taste in my mouth and my patience disappeared with Allen when that pick against the Titans occurred.

NOW, taking a step back from the ledge...............

we have to remember that Allen’s WHOLE freaking offensive team was remade in ONE offseason.

That’s insane.

Point is, we all have to be patient and not overreact to every little thing due to all the newness.

Allen is learning to be an NFL QB and if you look around the NFL, you can see that it is hardly an easy thing

I was pissed with the Allen int, because it got the Titans into a game they had no business being in and because they are/were a direct rival to our playoff hopes.

I thought we had the game controlled, it was a matter of their frustation building up and we picking our spots to beat that team soundly.

Had he thrown the ball away on the int play, we pinned the Titans once again and maybe the defense finishes the game off with a turnover. Allen needs to undertand that he has a fantastic defense to back him up.

I understand the Titans game marked Allen's #16 start as our QB and that he is still learning on the job. Watching the all-22 you can see him progressing and him not being a one read QB only like many people like to claim. He looks promising, he just needs to find consistency and learn how manage his emotions during the game.