Cold Front Report: Claims Zay almost traded before season, and on trade block now

Alphadawg7

6 minutes ago, purple haze said:

The 4th down pass was a bad pass.  If he had caught it he would've been outside the end zone anyway.  Because it was a bad pass.  Calvin Johnson at 6'6 would have caught it.  Julio Jones at 6'4 might have caught it.  If Barkley throws a better pass We win the game.

interception 2, Zay has his man beat by three damn yards.  A better pass is a TD and we win the game.  Why is it his fault the QB couldn't hit him?  He was wide open going toward the end zone.  You go outside and run as fast as you can in one direction then try to stop and go a totally different direction in a split second.

interception 3 I'll give you.  He could have made a better effort. At the same time when does our QB stop doing dumb s?!t like throwing the ball into nowhere?  If Josh stops making dumb passes there won't be multiple interceptions and we win the game.

And don't forget If Allen doesn't overthrow Zay, who had a step on his man, by five yards going toward the tunnel-end end zone we might score there too.

This is the type of BS I'm talking about.  Make sense with your criticisms.  Zay ain't living up to his draft status, the Bills can upgrade from him, but everything that goes wrong isn't his fault either.  Dude is open his share.  QB has to throw a good pass too

Assuming Zay would catch any single pass is reckless.     

• Haha (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, purple haze said:

Hey, I hear you.  But job #1 is to get open and he was open.  QB has to do his part.

That’s fair.  I would however add to it though to make it more accurate as your line is a bit overly simplified.  

The WR #1 job is to get open and to the right spot he is supposed to be and during the QBs progressions through his reads.  QB then also like you said needs to do his part too.

For whatever reason, Allen and Zay are not in sync enough with this.  And Zay himself said Allen pulled him aside during camp to tell him he wasn’t happy with how he was running his routes.

Thats the biggest issue, the lack of chemistry between them.  I mean why is it only Zay that Allen has a hard time throwing better balls too?  And why has this been an issue for Zay with all the other QBs we have had too?  

And more importantly, how do they fix it?  Something is clearly off between them.

2 hours ago, artmalibu said:

This forum always needs a whipping boy...

People act as the #3 WR is a maker or breaker on the roster.

That #3 when not catching over 60% of what’s thrown to him becomes a breaker, as you put it. Every team has a poor performing player or two, one of our is zay jones.

Go Bills!!!

2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

That’s fair.  I would however add to it though to make it more accurate as your line is a bit overly simplified.  

The WR #1 job is to get open and to the right spot he is supposed to be and during the QBs progressions through his reads.  QB then also like you said needs to do his part too.

For whatever reason, Allen and Zay are not in sync enough with this.  And Zay himself said Allen pulled him aside during camp to tell him he wasn’t happy with how he was running his routes.

Thats the biggest issue, the lack of chemistry between them.  I mean why is it only Zay that Allen has a hard time throwing better balls too?  And why has this been an issue for Zay with all the other QBs we have had too?  

And more importantly, how do they fix it?  Something is clearly off between them.

I hear you. Good question about fixing it.  Although I would say Josh missed Smoke deep too.  Allen is not throwing the deep ball well so far this season.  Why?

3 minutes ago, purple haze said:

I hear you. Good question about fixing it.  Although I would say Josh missed Smoke deep too.  Allen is not throwing the deep ball well so far this season.  Why?

Yeah he hasn’t been, and honestly we are taking too many deep shots too. I think Daboll has not been calling games well.  We have 8 new players around him, focus should be getting Josh easier and shorter throws to get in a rhythm earlier before they start flicking it down field. 

Definitely need more Knox and passes to the RBs out of the back field too.  

Rambo made a big play against the Pats.  He made 2 big plays against the Bengals.  My guess is Zay's snap count is higher than Dawson. Where is Zay's production?  When has he made a play?  I can name many, many times he did not.  It's time Zay starts balling like Rambo

2 hours ago, Reader said:

I wish I could like your post more than once Chandler. The problem is, if I am quoting Alpha correctly, that most of the board was very respectful in disagreeing, but that there were a few specific posters who most disagreed/antagonized depending on who is framing it. I would love to, but don't know if we will, see anyone own up to that.

We went at it, but I don't think there was disrespect. Disagreement, sure.

Edited by Dopey

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Yeah he hasn’t been, and honestly we are taking too many deep shots too. I think Daboll has not been calling games well.  We have 8 new players around him, focus should be getting Josh easier and shorter throws to get in a rhythm earlier before they start flicking it down field. 

Definitely need more Knox and passes to the RBs out of the back field too.  

Exactly.  I like deep shots, but when they move the rock consistently it's on a diet of short/intermediate throws.  I say keep the sticks moving.  Knox might be what we've been wanting at TE.  When Motor gets back I think we'll see those swing/screen passes.

1 minute ago, purple haze said:

Exactly.  I like deep shots, but when they move the rock consistently it's on a diet of short/intermediate throws.  I say keep the sticks moving.  Knox might be what we've been wanting at TE.  When Motor gets back I think we'll see those swing/screen passes.

Yeah, Motor is gonna be a nice and needed boost when he is back.

They need to set the deep shot up by carving up the short and middle of the field as opposed trying to force the ball downfield so often 

• Like (+1) 1

I truly think for most WR the QB style matters- very few players are not completely system guys. Jones seems to be out of his element with Josh so send him to a true West Coast team and get something for him. I would like to see Duke Williams and if he fails someone else to be our 4th WR.

13 hours ago, purple haze said:

WR 4 or 5 or 6 on any roster because they can't even crack the starting lineup on their team.  

You wouldn’t trade Zay for Taylor Gabriel? Josh Reynolds?  Andy Isabella?  Etc

what good is a WR that can’t catch?  

38.9 catch % is horrible, and one of worst in NFL

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/player-stat/receiving-catch-rate

Here is top 100 catch % - Cole Beasley at 66.7%,  almost double Zays.  32 nfl teams, that’s top 3 wrs each team, and Zay cannot catch half of what other teams #3 can.

zay is inadequate.  A wr that can’t catch is like a fish that can’t swim- useless

• Like (+1) 3

Realistically, if Zay is really available for trade like the rumors seem to suggest, I think the team to watch is Cincinnati.  And I’m not even talking about A.J. Green.  

Ross just went on IR and they are auditioning guys off the street.  HC was with the Rams and saw what a change of scenery did for Woods, and we have dealt with Cincy before.  Could be a spot I could really see making sense, regardless if A.J. Green was involved.  

Send Zay for a 6th that could become a 5th based on performance.  

Edited by Alphadawg7

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Realistically, if Zay is really available for trade like the rumors seem to suggest, I think the team to watch is Cincinnati.  And I’m not even talking about A.J. Green.  

Ross just went on IR and they are auditioning guys off the street.  HC was with the Rams and saw what a change of scenery did for Woods, and we have dealt with Cincy before.  Could be a spot I could really see making sense, regardless if A.J. Green was involved.  

Send Zay for a 6th that could become a 5th based on performance.  Foster could also be in that convo if he’s not gonna get back in the rotation here.  

Cool, that would give them 4 6th round picks in 2020.