Brian Daboll's nearly successful halftime adjustment: TJ Yeldon

Yes, I screamed at the TV last week when he fumbled that he should be cut, but here's an excerpt from Joe B's Athletic Observations on the game:

They tried running the ball up the middle with Frank Gore, which worked to a degree but never took pressure off Allen (and later Barkley). Whenever the Bills dropped back to pass, the Patriots went into attack mode, and Allen didn’t seem comfortable — except for one drive.

On the Bills’ opening drive of the second half, Allen seemed to temporarily graduate from his reckless decisions. It all had to do with a specific matchup that the Patriots couldn’t handle, and one that the Bills exploit until the second half. If you thought you noticed running back T.J. Yeldon in the lineup in the second half, that’s because you did. Yeldon ended the game with more time on the field than Gore.

Screen-Shot-2019-09-29-at-7.56.22-PM.png

It was a pass attack personnel that presented problems to the Patriots all second half. Dawson Knox, John Brown, Cole Beasley and Zay Jones joined Yeldon, and the Patriots didn’t quite know who to key on in the formation. Yeldon wound up being the mismatch, and he finished with 68 yards on only four receptions. Had the Bills spotted this earlier, it could have led to earlier success. It also would have taken some pressure off Allen, because in those formations the young quarterback looked more confident in his reads and delivered the ball with a purpose. 

Now Allen, for reference, was as awful as awful can be in the 1st half... well, maybe not Peterman awful, but awful nonetheless.

But know who his 1st completed pass was to in the 2nd half? Yeldon.

In fact on that 1st drive Allen completed a couple passes for 42 yards to Yeldon, and it just really seemed to open up the offense.

The snap count numbers above were pretty interesting.

No, I'm still not the biggest fan of Yeldon. But what I'm hoping is that when Motor gets back in the lineup this week (hopefully), he helps open up our offense a bit.

But I will say that I'm encouraged the team finally had a decent 3rd Quarter after all the putrid 3rd quarters we've had thus far.

(Allen was 7/11 for 93 yards, an INT, a sack losing 11 yards, and 2 rushes for 8 yards with a TD... not exactly anything to write home about, but much better than the 1st half)

Sure would be nice to put a whole game together.

• Like (+1) 7

I keep telling the loss of robert foster and Devin Singletary was the reason why we lost. 

if foster is there the Patriots now have to deal with 2 legit deep threats instead of doubling brown.  And the biggest was Singletary if the Bill's would had that ability to run those draws that Singletary is great in the Bill's would have won this game easily.

10 minutes ago, Marvlevydraftdaygenius said:

I keep telling the loss of robert foster and Devin Singletary was the reason why we lost. 

if foster is there the Patriots now have to deal with 2 legit deep threats instead of doubling brown.  And the biggest was Singletary if the Bill's would had that ability to run those draws that Singletary is great in the Bill's would have won this game easily.

I wouldn't say easily but would have helped a lot.

22 minutes ago, Marvlevydraftdaygenius said:

And McKenzie? I did not see most of the game (just the last quarter), were all three out of the game?

1 hour ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Too bad Yeldon is mediocre. We really need an upgrade over him.

Daboll finally used Yeldon the way he was intended  to be used. 

Nothing Yeldon does inspires confidence. He juggles the ball on catches. When Yeldon runs with it I fear a fumble for some reason. Yeldon reminds me of the past 20 years worth of players who will not make a play when we need it the most. I miss Singletary.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I was looking for the draw and screen game too. Jet sweep, reverse, end around. all of those things were missing. Clearly we missed Motor. Solid observation about Yeldon. He did cause problems for NE. That 2nd half opening drive was fantastic. The tools are there for it to be a good offense. Just need more consistency. That group has only been together for 5 weeks. They will put it all together eventually. might take half the season though. 

Edited by DRA3196
  • Like (+1) 1

Yeldon was a key contributor to the opening 3rd quarter drive. But, I thought the main factor to the drives success was the no-hudle offense. It allowed Allen an additional 15 seconds to analyze the Pats defense, not to mention it stymied Pats substitutions. Why didn't they continue the no-huddle???

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SoCal Deek said:

For some reason the Bills game Plan was built around a bombs away approach to the passing game. You can say what you want about a lot of things yesterday, but that was the fatal flaw. I’m not sure what they thought they saw, or why they didn’t adjust out of it.

I don't believe for a second that was their game plan. They had some nice called shots and on most of those INTs Allen wanted to show off his arm.

4 hours ago, Marvlevydraftdaygenius said:

I said it yesterday after the game, but enough with Zay Jones. Bob Foster shouldn’t be losing snaps to Zay any more. Outside of maybe run blocking, Zay offers nothing more than Foster. Foster’s speed keeps DBs on their toes. But I guess he hasn’t “earned the right” quite like Zay.