This is shocking

Gary M

26 minutes ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

What a great loss of ummmm accounting talent!

This confuses me...   'If the phone had not been plugged in to 220 volts, the tragedy would not have happened.'  Who plugs a phone into 220?

Europeans.  That’s the voltage coming out of the wall.  

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

Well that will teach them

That’s why 007 had to use an electric fan to zap the bad guy in the tub in the opening scene of ‘Goldfinger’.  New World 110v. girly man voltage.  Shocking!  ?

EDIT:  Had to go rewatch.  It was an electric heater.

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

This confuses me...   'If the phone had not been plugged in to 220 volts, the tragedy would not have happened.'  Who plugs a phone into 220?

110 volts will kill you just as fast under the same circumstances.   I wonder if they have ground fault protection in Russia.

2 hours ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

Russians.

2 hours ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

1 hour ago, Greybeard said:

110 volts will kill you just as fast under the same circumstances.   I wonder if they have ground fault protection in Russia.

IT is NOT the voltage that will kill you but the CURRENT.  

In reality, most laptop computers, tablets, cell phones, and camera battery chargers operate in a range between 100 volts and 240 volts, covering the standards found in the US and Canada plus Europe and many other parts of the world. Most also work with electric frequencies ranging from 50 Hertz to 60 Hertz

3 hours ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

I think what they meant was that it wouldn't have happened if the phone hadn't been plugged into an AC outlet which, in Europe, is 220V. (If the same accident happened in the US, they'd have said 110V.) The phone itself, unplugged, wouldn't provide enough current to electrocute someone.

In theory, a GFCI outlet would have prevented this. That's why the National Electric code requires them in kitchens, bathrooms, and garages.