Interview with Beane - his McCoy explanation

Beane's definitely not hiding much with Vic in his assessment of Josh's progress. 

Its got to be a little maddening as the person who staked his reputation in large part on Josh to see Josh progress -- like the Carolina game and then see Josh make some really questionable decisions 6 days later in Detroit.  It was a step back in what had been a steady progression.

I didn't read Beane's answer to the Josh question as coddling Josh or protecting him from pressure--I kind of read the opposite.  Josh hasn't done enough yet in Beane's eyes to win a totally "clean" opinion.  He still has to earn that. 

Everyone will have a point of view on this if you dissect the comments...maybe Vic wrote it that way on purpose.

Edited by JoeF
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

Playoff wins. Every year. That is the goal setting I want to see. I want a coach and gm to say "If we don't win a playoff game this year, I will feel as though we failed to meet our goal"   

Like I say to people here all the time, it's fine if that's what you want and it's fine if that's the way you think it should be done, but none of that matters, because that is NOT what McBeane are doing.  You may think your kind of goal setting is the best.   The people who run Toyota think THEIR kind of goal setting is the best, and unless I miss my guess, Toyota is more successful than you.   McBeane are trying to run the Bills by setting goals the way the people at Toyota set goals.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

I will file your comment under "out of context quoting dork reply"

What part of your quote,

"If the Bill's fail, everything I have heard from Beane leads me to believe he will throw everyone under the bus he can to blame for the failure before himself." 

Is out of context? That is just a very wrong thing to say.

When talking about last year's early season QB mess, Beane took responsibility acknowledging he did not bring Anderson in immediately. 

When talking about Shady's lack of production last year, Beane took responsibility, saying he didn't do a good job bringing in the necessary parts on offense.

Beane criticizes his own performance regularly, owning it. Meanwhile, you slime him him with, "I believe he will throw everyone under the bus". 

If if it makes you feel better calling me a dork for calling that out....yeah, I'll accept that.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

A goal like "winning the Super Bowl" is the wishy washy goal.  It doesn't tell you anything about you actually have to do to achieve the goal.   What the Bills do is tell their players that their goal is to do the things they did today better tomorrow.  If you missed that block today, make it tomorrow.   What do you have do to make it?   Maybe move your feet differently, take a different step, deliver the blow with your forearm, cut him, something.   It didn't happen today, do it tomorrow, and keep doing it every day after that.   

I agree in general what you are saying but I think it applies more to front office and the proof is quality of staff Beane hired.

You do NOT see the same in quality of staff Coach McD hired.  I hope the current staff is better than previous years for to do what you are talking about coaches need to be good.

3 hours ago, Stads said:

What pray tell does this mean? Has Isaiah been using hand muffs during practice? Has he been caught "muff-handed" whilst having extracurricular activities with the fairer sex? Inquiring minds want to know.

Means this:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000876176/Isaiah-McKenzie-muffs-punt-Patriots-recover-in-prime-position

https://www.denverpost.com/2017/11/15/isaiah-mckenzie-loses-role-broncos-punt-returner/

Didn't seem the surest handed WR in preseason either

Hopefully he's gotten over it

Yeah, Beane's really lukewarm about Josh.  That's a good word.   I think he's underselling Josh; he doesn't want to put the pressure on him that the fans are creating.   I'm expecting him to be a star on the rise, known to all football fans by the end of the season.  Beane might believe that, but I think he just sees no point in saying it - it just puts pressure on Josh, and it puts pressure on Beane if Josh underperforms. 

That could be.  I just thought some of his comments were a bit towards "damn (Allen) with faint praise" .

On the other hand, it could be "once bitten, twice shy babe" where he doesn't want to be all enthusiastic and have it go "pffffffft" halfway through the first game.  Compare and contrast Beane's comments on Peterman in his WGR interview before last season opener:

Beane on Nathan Peterman winning the quarterback competition: 

"We, in this building, never lost faith in who Nate is...  I know when we said it would be a quarterback competition, most people were saying it's a quarterback competition between A.J. and Josh. They kept leaving Nate out of there and we're like 'Trust us, Nate is doing well.' When we left in June, we felt like Nate should still start with the 1s as we roll out in August." 

Beane on Nathan Peterman's skill set compared to Josh Allen: 

"He may not have the same physical talents that Josh [does], from an arm strength standpoint and not as big, but at the end of the day, he is a professional quarterback. He can play at this level, he's shown that, even last year through the mishaps. And all spring, he's shown it in the preseason this year. It's not too big for him, he can handle it." 

So maybe Beane's learned a very hard and valuable lesson not to "bet the rent money" on how a guy looks in preseason, and you're right that it's a good sign he's holding back.

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Again read the article...Beane actually comes across as somewhat lukewarm on Allen to me.  Though perhaps it's just Carrucci, who comes across as skeptical (maybe a bit negative?): " So, too, is the fact the revamped offensive line has had virtually no time to build continuity. And that rookies on both sides of the ball are being asked to fill key roles right away. And that most of the team's fortunes depend on quarterback Josh Allen making major strides in his second season. "

Yeah. You could interpret that as lukewarm, which it was; but it was also brutally honest and quite frankly refreshing to hear that Beane fully understands where Allen needs to get better. He pretty much summarized the very obvious flaws JA demonstrated as a rookie, and the layup line was 100 percent on point. I guess my reaction is that I'm glad he's not living in a bubble pretending like these things don't exist, especially considering he's all but tied to JA's hip right now. Only chance to solve a problem is to identify it. That doesn't mean all is well, but I'd rather know that THEY know what needs to happen.

• Like (+1) 2

Like I say to people here all the time, it's fine if that's what you want and it's fine if that's the way you think it should be done, but none of that matters, because that is NOT what McBeane are doing.  You may think your kind of goal setting is the best.   The people who run Toyota think THEIR kind of goal setting is the best, and unless I miss my guess, Toyota is more successful than you.   McBeane are trying to run the Bills by setting goals the way the people at Toyota set goals.  

I understand where you're coming from and I understand where PP is coming from. But the bottom line is that it doesn't really matter how a GM or a automobile company defines success. The GM will ultimately be judged by how many games his team wins and Toyota will ultimately be judged by their stock price. At the end of the day, it's the results, and not the goal, that matter.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, LSHMEAB said:

I understand where you're coming from and I understand where PP is coming from. But the bottom line is that it doesn't really matter how a GM or a automobile company defines success. The GM will ultimately be judged by how many games his team wins and Toyota will ultimately be judged by their stock price. At the end of the day, it's the results, and not the goal, that matter.

Some fans will never understand that their vantage point to analyzing the team is vastly different than an owner's, particularly as it relates to ROI.  I highly doubt the Pegula's will be happy with an 8 or 9 win season after McBeane spent 3 off-seasons spending their money and making all these draft picks.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

Playoff wins. Every year. That is the goal setting I want to see. I want a coach and gm to say "If we don't win a playoff game this year, I will feel as though we failed to meet our goal"   

Point me to a single statement in any interview where he mentions PERSONAL accountability for the teams success and I will gladly recant. 

Yeah, man, you just don't get it.  And besides, why is it important to you to hear the GM or coach say that?  Do you fear that they don't want to get to the playoffs or win a Super Bowl?  I think Shaw laid it out very well in his responses above.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Ok, I just read the article.  I don't for a moment think Beane came off as "lukewarm" on Josh.  He is repeating what he and McD and Daboll have said about Josh all summer long.  He's stating facts -- Josh needs to improve in certain areas but he has been working his butt off.

It's funny how people can interpret things in completely different ways.  I don't think Vic was negative either -- he was asking some smart questions that a lot of us have.  I actually think Vic is buying in to "the process" and is looking forward to covering the team this year.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, eball said:

Yeah, man, you just don't get it.  And besides, why is it important to you to hear the GM or coach say that?  Do you fear that they don't want to get to the playoffs or win a Super Bowl?  I think Shaw laid it out very well in his responses above.

You are entitled to your opinion.  If the bills are not one of the 12 teams in the playoffs this year ( i think they will be) I will think either Beane or McDermott is failing. Winning is the bottom line for their jobs.  Neither of them has committed to a playoff berth or win as a measure of success.  They both sound like word parsing lawyers or politicians when it comes to discussing success for the team. 

1 minute ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

You are entitled to your opinion.  If the bills are not one of the 12 teams in the playoffs this year ( i think they will be) I will think either Beane or McDermott is failing. Winning is the bottom line for their jobs.  Neither of them has committed to a playoff berth or win as a measure of success.  They both sound like word parsing lawyers or politicians when it comes to discussing success for the team. 

I don't know, man...how many times can Beane say "we know it's a results-based business" before you understand what that means?

12 minutes ago, eball said:

I don't know, man...how many times can Beane say "we know it's a results-based business" before you understand what that means?

That s an example of word parsing.  I am 100% sure the Bills will have results this year.  That statement offers no accountability.  If the Bills go 7-9 this year that will be a result. If that happens Beane will take credit for much of the hidden subtle progress that us average fans can't see inside the 7-9 result. And some part of the coaching staff will be blamed and changed. 

Edited to add :  The goal of lawyerly/politician word parsing is to say something that sound good, but can't be used against you later.

Edited by PlayoffsPlease

11 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Bear in mind it's just my impression based on what Carrucci put in his article (and Vic comes across as a bit skeptical or lukewarm overall on the Bills, at least to me).

My impression could be mistaken, or it could be based upon a "spin".  It's just that what wound up in the article struck me a bit as a man trying to persuade himself.

Again, it doesn't say.  That's my "read" on what is said.

Having read the article, I have to disagree.  Beane just doesn’t seem like the kind of guy who’s going to gush about his young players, especially before the season starts.  And I really did not sense anything negative or lukewarm about Allen—he just stated the obvious, I think.

OTOH, i interpreted his remarks on Shady as being a bit odd and more negative.  He thought Shady was going to be a problem this year.  

Thanks for posting.

6 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

That's absolutely true., that is how they will be judged. But as many coaches often say to the press, that kind of judging is what the press does.  The coaches say that kind of judging isn't their job.

Good article, thanks for posting OP. I didn’t get the impression he was lukewarm on Allen at all though—he said he’s already seen advancing improvement from Allen as to phases of the game he needed to work on following last year, and gave specific examples—overall I really appreciated his honesty, by GM standards! 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

Maybe you should storm to his office, pound on his door and demand these answers you think you deserve.