Interview with Beane - his McCoy explanation

1 hour ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

That s an example of word parsing.  I am 100% sure the Bills will have results this year.  That statement offers no accountability.  If the Bills go 7-9 this year that will be a result. If that happens Beane will take credit for much of the hidden subtle progress that us average fans can't see inside the 7-9 result. And some part of the coaching staff will be blamed and changed. 

Edited to add :  The goal of lawyerly/politician word parsing is to say something that sound good, but can't be used against you later.

You’re trying too hard. 

12 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

If Beane is lukewarm on Allen it is a very concerning situation.  GM’s generally don’t survive missed QB picks.  The Bills have been through enough front office and coaching upheavals. Let’s hope that history is not repeated anytime soon.

Tom Donahoe hung around for quite awhile here in Buffalo after his gaffe. Not only did he draft the wrong QB, but gave up multiple 1st rd picks for him. Yet Whaley is the villain around here. Smh

2 hours ago, eball said:

Ok, I just read the article.  I don't for a moment think Beane came off as "lukewarm" on Josh.  He is repeating what he and McD and Daboll have said about Josh all summer long.  He's stating facts -- Josh needs to improve in certain areas but he has been working his butt off.

It's funny how people can interpret things in completely different ways.  I don't think Vic was negative either -- he was asking some smart questions that a lot of us have.  I actually think Vic is buying in to "the process" and is looking forward to covering the team this year.

Absolutely different people are going to read the same words and get a different take from them.  It's one of the things that makes communication challenging.

I just compare and contrast last year (see link above for one example).  He sounded a lot more positive, gushy even, about Peterman. 

Maybe it's a good sign; maybe Beane felt (correctly) that in his role as a public face of the Bills franchise, Peterman needed to be "sold" to the fans whereas last year Allen "sold" himself that he can play QB to an extent, and the Q is "will he eventually become who we want him to be? How close to that will this season take him?"

34 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Absolutely different people are going to read the same words and get a different take from them.  It's one of the things that makes communication challenging.

I just compare and contrast last year (see link above for one example).  He sounded a lot more positive, gushy even, about Peterman. 

Maybe it's a good sign; maybe Beane felt (correctly) that in his role as a public face of the Bills franchise, Peterman needed to be "sold" to the fans whereas last year Allen "sold" himself that he can play QB to an extent, and the Q is "will he eventually become who we want him to be? How close to that will this season take him?"

Yes, I believe you're onto something here.  Most of us accurately predicted that Peterman would fall on his face and wanted Josh to "win" the job in the worst way.  Beane was doing what he needed to do to try and get fans enthused about the season.  He, the coaches, and the players knew Josh wasn't really "ready" yet, and we saw that in his first stint as a starter.  By coming back from injury and playing at a higher level Josh earned the trust and confidence of his teammates and coaches but was still obviously a work in progress.

This year Beane doesn't really need to heap praise upon Josh and if he did I think it would feel misplaced because we as fans haven't seen Josh take that "next step" yet.  We've heard the talk of his work ethic, leadership, and how "it's his team now" but we all are holding our collective breaths until the real games begin.  Beane is doing the right thing (I think) by recognizing that.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

That s an example of word parsing.  I am 100% sure the Bills will have results this year.  That statement offers no accountability.  If the Bills go 7-9 this year that will be a result. If that happens Beane will take credit for much of the hidden subtle progress that us average fans can't see inside the 7-9 result. And some part of the coaching staff will be blamed and changed. 

Edited to add :  The goal of lawyerly/politician word parsing is to say something that sound good, but can't be used against you later.

and if we go 9-7 or 10-6 and miss the playoffs, will they be failing?

One other thing about lukewarm, and some others have said something like this.  As much as Beane, or I, may think that Allen is a star in the making, as much as we may think the world is going to see that in the next three months, it's all just talk right now.  The passing offense didn't produce enough last season, and it hasn't produced anything yet this year.  So from that point of view what Beane said about Allen is exactly correct. 

13 minutes ago, eball said:

Yes, I believe you're onto something here.  Most of us accurately predicted that Peterman would fall on his face and wanted Josh to "win" the job in the worst way.  Beane was doing what he needed to do to try and get fans enthused about the season.  He, the coaches, and the players knew Josh wasn't really "ready" yet, and we saw that in his first stint as a starter.  By coming back from injury and playing at a higher level Josh earned the trust and confidence of his teammates and coaches but was still obviously a work in progress.

This year Beane doesn't really need to heap praise upon Josh and if he did I think it would feel misplaced because we as fans haven't seen Josh take that "next step" yet.  We've heard the talk of his work ethic, leadership, and how "it's his team now" but we all are holding our collective breaths until the real games begin.  Beane is doing the right thing (I think) by recognizing that.

I think that is exactly the right take on Beane's words.