Pro Football Network: Bills one of teams in on Clowney trade

YoloinOhio

4 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

I just don’t get why the dolphins would get him when they’re seemingly tearing it down?

I get the impression they are getting rid of guys they don’t want and going after guys they do. It’s a whole new coaching staff. I don’t think they are “tanking”. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

1 minute ago, skibum said:

But if we pay Clowney long term, what does that mean for extending Edmunds in a couple years? I can’t see the Bills FO throwing that much money at one area of the team.

We have Edmunds for three more years after this season. That is not a worry at all. 

• Like (+1) 2

Guest K-GunJimKelly12
8 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I wonder if McBeane feel the same way. I suspect if they knew that their first round pick would give them an opportunity to have a rare elite defense, they’d gladly make that pick. What’s the difference between making that pick now vs. later? 

I think the thing is you never know what can happen in an NFL season, especially with an unproven QB.  I love Allen but he is unproven.  If the Bills did end up being 6-10 and Clowney walks, it's Ryan O'Reilly level bad.  

Just now, NoSaint said:

It also would send a hell of a message to 52 other guys about immediate expectations. 

This is isn’t a compete for a wild card move. This is a go for a championship move 

I'm all for that! Let's go get it!

QB on his rookie contract, you gotta load up the roster and go. They believe in Josh. It's time. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Can you be more specific? A guy like what? And why, precisely, wouldn't he impact the W-L column?

Clowney.  B/C he's a defensive player and those guys don't change the outcomes of games.

A strong passing game changes the outcome of games.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

If you make the trade, you’re operating under the assumption Clowney A) Signs here long term and B) Helps lead us to the Playoffs.  

That first round pick is then in the 20’s.  

You cant build a contender by playing it safe all the time.  You draft well and structure smart contracts to make moves like this.  

Id be ok with a 1 for Clowney. 

I’m not advocating the trade one way or the other, only arguing the premise that if Clowney indeed makes your D elite and you’d be willing to draft a guy in the first who could do the same anyway, then spending that first on Clowney now makes just as much sense. 

That said, I’m with you on this. Swing for the fences. Fortune favors the bold, after all.

Just now, SCBills said:

Won’t Hughes be coming off the books then?

Yes. There's that. And there's also the fact that we've become obsessed with the cap. The time to be aggressive is NOW with the QB on his rookie deal. You want to keep on eye on the future, but Edmunds contract won't be up until 2022! White in 2021. Let's cross that bridge when we come to it. That being said, I think he goes to Miami.

I am not sure what to think about this.  In my opinion the value going back to Houston can only be for the one year rental.  There are no guarantees after that.  So the value would have to be just measured against one year.

I suspect Philly, a realistic Super Bowl Contender, will be motivated to provide the most value back to Texas.   

I like Darryl Johnson.

7 minutes ago, skibum said:

But if we pay Clowney long term, what does that mean for extending Edmunds in a couple years? I can’t see the Bills FO throwing that much money at one area of the team. Oh well, it’s not my money.

It means clowneys contract would be in its twilight and you structure Edmonds to slide behind it with a big signing bonus that pushes cap to year 2-3 when Clowney is coming off the books.

its the definition of the kind of move a team like ours should be making with some superstar today. It’s much harder to resign the 1st round pick alongside Edmonds and Allen than to spend the money now to ensure you get the impact if you are letting someone walk in 4-5 seasons regardless 

Edited by NoSaint

1 minute ago, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

I think the thing is you never know what can happen in an NFL season, especially with an unproven QB.  I love Allen but he is unproven.  If the Bills did end up being 6-10 and Clowney walks, it's Ryan O'Reilly level bad.  

I gotta believe there’s no deal with McBeane without assurances from Clowney beforehand. Without those assurances, I assume the entire point is moot.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

If Allen’s a flop, we are starting over anyway. Having a good pass rusher isn’t the end of the world there. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, CNYfan said:

I am not sure what to think about this.  In my opinion the value going back to Houston can only be for the one year rental.  There are no guarantees after that.  So the value would have to be just measured against one year.

I suspect Philly, a realistic Super Bowl Contender, will be motivated to provide the most value back to Texas.   

I like Darryl Johnson.

Good points.

Just now, K-9 said:

I gotta believe there’s no deal with McBeane without assurances from Clowney beforehand. Without those assurances, I assume the entire point is moot.

Weve also had a guy directly negotiating with him for the last year which is unique 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

The thing is you have to go for it when your QB is on his rookie contract if you believe in him. He might not get you there, but you gotta throw down some coin to get the rest of the pieces in place and give him a shot to prove himself.

That being said, I do like our DL depth so far. I don't think they will overpay the Texans.

Edited by Big C
  • Like (+1) 1

The Bills need to defeat the Patriots once and for all. They have been kicking our butts up and down the street for years. The addition of Clowney in this young defense goes a long way towards achieving that goal. If the Bills could defeat them twice in one season...then they are getting somewhere.

Edited by Rocket94
  • Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Clowney.  B/C he's a defensive player and those guys don't change the outcomes of games.

A strong passing game changes the outcome of games.

Uhhhhhhhhh turnovers dont change the outcome of a game. I wonder way teams vaule OLB/DE who get to the QB if they dont do anything to change the outcome 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

It also would send a hell of a message to 52 other guys about immediate expectations. 

This is isn’t a compete for a wild card move. This is a go for a championship move 

EXACTLY. It's what the teams that want to win it ALL immediately, do. It's refreshing to be in that position.