Pro Football Network: Bills one of teams in on Clowney trade

YoloinOhio

34 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

If you believe in a 12 month turnaround instead of multi year, grabbing a pass rusher in his prime makes a ton of sense long term 

I agree.  I love the idea of adding a talent like Clowney long term.  He’d help bring the defense to another level, but I don’t think it’s the right thing to do due to the likely trade compensation.  I hate the idea of giving up a first.

The Bills still have below average OL and WR as well as a QB who has yet to prove himself. I just can’t get on board with using next year’s first on upgrading the defense while the offense is so much more in need.  If we can package some players and a second, then I’m interested.  

Guest K-GunJimKelly12
1 minute ago, CNYfan said:

Again I disagree.  If this were a multiyear proposition maybe.  But not that much for a 1 year rental .   

I'm not sure if you read that right.  He's saying a 2nd, Lawson (on an expiring contract as well) and one of the other 3 for Clowney, not all five pieces.  

1 hour ago, Nihilarian said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/08/13/jadeveon-clowney-trade-wont-be-easy-to-pull-off/

Anyone trading for Clowney would be getting his services for one year, with no ability to sign him to an extension until after the regular season ends. At that point, Clowney would have the leverage of a 20-percent raise over his 2019 salary, whether it’s $15.967 million or, if his grievance regarding his alleged status as a defensive end is successful, $17.128 million. That equates to either $19.16 million or $20.55 million for 2020, either of which becomes the starting point for negotiations on a long-term deal.

So what would a team, assuming it has the cap space to absorb Clowney’s contract, give up in order to get Clowney for one year? And what would the Texans want to part with the rights to Clowney for 2019 plus the ability to franchise-tag him in 2020, sign him to a long-term deal, or let him walk in free agency with a compensatory draft pick arriving in 2021?

This^^^^^^^

i can’t imagine we would give up much for a guy with no guarantee that he re-ups. 

Guest K-GunJimKelly12
17 minutes ago, john wawrow said:

Spoke to someone earlier today about Bills/Clowney, person shook head no.

jw

Dammit Wawrow!  I guess I'll have to go do something productive with my Sunday now.  Who am I kidding, I'm going to sit at home and ogle the girls in the Victoria's Secret catalog.... Sears catalog.

Edited by K-GunJimKelly12

1 minute ago, john wawrow said:

Spoke to someone earlier today about Bills/Clowney, person shook head no.

jw

Thanks, John. 

Not sure why 9 pages worth of people are so willing to trust something called "Profootballnetwork", but that's 2019 sports journalism for you.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Question:  Is Clowney that much better than Shaq?  I mean, I know he’s better, but is the difference between the two going to result in more wins for the Bills this year?  I just can’t see it.  It’s just one more move where the Bills are committing major resources to an already very good defense, when we have an offense that’s well below average.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

44 minutes ago, QCity said:

It puts tremendous pressure on the GM to re-sign him i.e. overpay next year. He's not as good as the insane contract he's going to command.

Everybody gets overpaid in the NFL. It's just how it goes. The salary cap goes up a minimum of $10 million per year so within 2 years it won't look so overpaid anymore. You get over it for an elite pass rusher. I cant understand this obsession with "overpaying" game changing players.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Logic said:

Thanks, John. 

Not sure why 9 pages worth of people are so willing to trust something called "Profootballnetwork", but that's 2019 sports journalism for you.

i mean, just the name itself sounds pretty legit

6 minutes ago, mannc said:

Question:  Is Clowney that much better than Shaq?  I mean, I know he’s better, but is the difference between the two going to result in more wins for the Bills this year?  I just can’t see it.  It’s just one more move where the Bills are committing major resources to an already very good defense, when we have an offense that’s well below average.  

I’m sorry, what?

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Binghamton Beast said:

I think he will be a Buffalo Bill this week

Would be cool wouldn’t it ?

Go Bills!!!

49 minutes ago, SCBills said:

This defense would have zero weaknesses if we got Clowney.  We’d be talking dominance. 

Hughes - Star - Oliver - Clowney

Milano - Edmunds - Lorax

White - Johnson - Wallace

Hyde - Poyer

Solid depth at every level behind those guys

Keeping a defense together for years is not possible.  Look at the Seahawks and on how long their group was intact.  People want more money, guys get hurt, etc. 

8 minutes ago, mannc said:

I doubt Buffalo will trade for him, but investing more resources into the defense is absurd.  They already have 3 first round picks, multiple higher dollar UFAs there, and now people want Clowney?  

It's the fantasy football mindset which has crept into fans far too much.  I'd rather see Buffalo continue putting players around Allen and develop him.  That is the more sound method of building a sustainable winning team, not more dollars and picks into building McCoach's defense.  

• Like (+1) 1