The COMEBACK GAME

just random banter type of stuff... I don't recall any swear words or anything too remarkable...

However, i do recall one game in the late 80's, the juice was covering the bills and he made some crude joke about his wife. I wish i had that on tape!

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was there with my friend Matt. Upper deck, Houston side about 5 rows from the top at the 50. We discussed leaving after the half, if things didn't go well (and they didn't, at first, as we all know). We had driven 5 hours that weekend from college, in Ohio, so we figured we had made the trip and we wouldn't see another game that year and decided to stay. One of the best decisions I've ever been involved with. I carried the ticket stub in my wallet as good luck for years, then got paranoid I'd lose it. Still have it in a drawer at home, I take it out from time to time and look at it in order to recharge my luck.

I was 19 or 20...we all talked about going to the game, but instead drank 30 beers and went to sleep around 730AM...thinking we could wake up at 10am and go to the game...well, did not work out...when I woke up the Bills were winning 38-35....I suck as a fan

I was at the game and then.................................. at halftime I was rather furious on the showing so far and decided to take my hungover ass and my buddy (Lion fan) to the car to start are trek back home to Toledo, 300 miles away. Very disappointed at the first half showing which provoked me to leave angrily, I was who would be in utter disappointment after the game.

Got to the car to find the score 35-10 and wondered what had happened and from then on Van Miller (the voice of a higher power) was my guiding light down I-90 West. Seemed like once I turned on the radio everything that needed to happened right, HAPPENED. The thought crossed my mind to head back to the game, but figured if I did that they would not win (my reasoning), and I did not deserve to go back after leaving anyway.

Moments after Christie booted the game winner and myself being at the New York - PA line, I had to pull the vehicle over and guzzle a 12oz. can of beer. And let me tell you that was the longest ride home from Buffalo ever for me.

In retrospect, I would like to ask for forgiveness to all the Bills players that day for my brief moment of doubt which cost me the joy of watching the Greatest Comeback in Playoff History!!

I paid penance 2 weeks later, when I drove the 20 hours one way to Miami from Toledo to watch the Bills kick the Dolphins ass in the AFC Championship and then drove back.

That is my story and I am sticking to it!!

The JP era is about to begin!!

I was at the game and then.................................. at halftime I was rather furious on the showing so far and decided to take my hungover ass and my buddy (Lion fan) to the car to start are trek back home to Toledo, 300 miles away. Very disappointed at the first half showing which provoked me to leave angrily, I was who would be in utter disappointment after the game.

Got to the car to find the score 35-10 and wondered what had happened and from then on Van Miller (the voice of a higher power) was my guiding light down I-90 West. Seemed like once I turned on the radio everything that needed to happened right, HAPPENED. The thought crossed my mind to head back to the game, but figured if I did that they would not win (my reasoning), and I did not deserve to go back after leaving anyway.

Moments after Christie booted the game winner and myself being at the New York - PA line, I had to pull the vehicle over and guzzle a 12oz. can of beer. And let me tell you that was the longest ride home from Buffalo ever for me.

In retrospect, I would like to ask for forgiveness to all the Bills players that day for my brief moment of doubt which cost me the joy of watching the Greatest Comeback in Playoff History!!

I paid penance 2 weeks later, when I drove the 20 hours one way to Miami from Toledo to watch the Bills kick the Dolphins ass in the AFC Championship and then drove back.

That is my story and I am sticking to it!!

The JP era is about to begin!!

295465[/snapback]

You know, I can't say for sure I would have stayed the entire game if I were the driver and didn't have a bunch of brothers with me. Like I said, our seats were scattered in different sections. But on my way to the P-trough at halftime, I ran into my big brother Jerry. I thought he was pissed, but I think the look was one of a person who just had a psychic vision. He said to me "We're coming back! Those motherf*ckers are not leaving Rich Stadium with a win. Mark my words, Boy!"

He was always the eternal optimist. I love that guy. He was right on that day!

I remember very vividly where I was. I was like 9 or so at the time. I listened to tmost of the first half on teh radio in my living room. I then went over to the neighbor's house during the 3rd quarter and returned for the 4th. Much to my amazement the game was no longer a blowout.

I didnt leave the room until the bills had won.

Sigh.

Everytime this thread gets started I keep hoping I'll find someone else who was watching the game with me and the Orlando Bills Backers. About 200 Bills fans in this bar and to my knowledge not a one of them left, even after the second half pick. Best time I ever had watching the Bills play with Backers.

I was holding my one day old baby girl (Brittany) at Highland Hospital in Rochester, New York. She had a Bills chearleader dress draped over her because it was way too big for her. My poor wife wanted me to put Brittany down because she was afraid I was going to either drop or spike her. I didn't want to disrupt the karma, so I held her the whole time. What memories!

I was 20 years old, God has it been that long?

Anyway, I was at home and all excited, trying to put last week's game out of my head. When it was 28-3, I was down, but not ready to give up. So I watched more.

When it became 35-3, I started to think that this was the end of the Bills chances to win a Super Bowl, that we would lose the same way we beat the Raiders in the 1990 AFC Championship.

Still I figured, what the hell, I'm not going to see another Bills game until September, I might as well watch their last game of the season until it is over.

Sure enough, the greatest comeback in NFL history happened, and I enjoyed every second of it. I still do not know how they won. I wish I had taped it. Although I do have the NFL Primetime version of it on tape.

Ahhhh the memories.......

GO BILLS!!!!!

I was 19 or 20...we all talked about going to the game, but instead drank 30 beers and went to sleep around 730AM...thinking we could wake up at 10am and go to the game...well, did not work out...when I woke up the Bills were winning 38-35....I suck as a fan

295418[/snapback]

:rolleyes::o:o Has me laughing out loud. I know, I know, one of the 400,000 who says they were there. However, I have yet to miss a Bills home playoff game since 1963, the year I was born.

Being somewhat early in my professional life , cash and beer were both at premiums. Between my brother and me, we felt at half we could come back. I always feel people look at points in football , rather than plays. We` were both saying we only need 3 big plays, or 3 scores and we would be right back init. Loaded up on beers , and then the pick. I said I'm gettin the hell out, fug em, not happening this year. He politely pointed out NO WAY IN HELL we leavin beers in the stadium.

See, for all you kiddies out there, beer does serve its useful purpose!!!

If I remember correctly, the final regular season game that year we got beat badly by the Oilers in Houston. Kelly, Thurmal and Bennet got hurt or already were injured. I was a season ticket holder and had a ticket to the playoff game along with 5 of my best friends.

A couple of days before the game, I started getting bad feelings. I was scheduled to work the Sunday of the game but I had a standing relationship with my boss that I could have any Sunday off I wanted to go to the Bills games. He knew I was a huge fan and a hard worker and he always let me off if I was scheduled to work.

So the boss asks me "taking off sunday to go to the palyoff game?" "I don't know", I replied, "Kelly, Thurman and Biscuit are hurt, and Houston just kicked our ass last week, I think it could be a bloodbath. " "Well call me if you change your mind" he says.

The next day I went home to Buffalo (I worked in Syracuse at the time) to open X-mas gifts with my family. Everything I got that year was a Buffalo Bills item, sweatshirts, tee shirts, caps, pillows coffee mugs, loincloth, you name it. Suddenly I'm starting to feel better about the game and decide to go at the last minute and the boss lets me off. Things are looking good.

To say the first half was bummer would be an understatement. Houston could do no wrong and the halftime mood was like a wake as several of my friends and I gathered at hooter hill to lick our wounds. After Houston intercepted and ran it back for a td in the beginning of the third quarter, I announced to my friends "Lets go to the car, finish off the case and talk about next year". My good friend Ken a man of few words looked at me and said "Shut the F-k up" as he put a large cup of beer in my face. "I'ts not over. Remember our pledge"

We had made a pledge when we first bought season tickets, that win or lose we would never leave a game early. So I sat down. We scored once, then again, then again and suddenly Rich stadium turned into Woodstock and the summer of love (without the nudity or brown acid!). Strangers were deeply embracing like long lost friends. High fives were had up and down rows. Nobody would sit and nobody would yell at you to sit down. To this day I have never experienced anything like the emotions I felt that magical day. Even when the game went to OT there was no doubt that our Bills were going to prevail. I remeber the OT interception like it was yesterday. When Christy came on to kick the game winning fg it was euphoria like you can not imagine. Stunned excitement was what it felt like to me.

I saved the Buffalo News sports page from the next day and carry it with me in my work briefcase. Whenever I'm having a bad day I re-read Larry Felsers column from that day. It still brings a smile to my face.

I was at home listening to the game on the radio, I turned it off at half time in utter disgust thinking the game was lost and didn't feel like listening to the half time show. I turned the game back on since there was nothing on tv, it was during one of the now famed Reed TD drives (I can't remember which one) and listened to the rest of the game. I was screaming at the radio when it sounded like we scored the go ahead TD on defense but was called back because of a penalty, I thought we were going to lose once again.

I was sitting in sec. J2 row1 seat 108.I've got the Frank Reich autographed ticket stub to prove it..... :rolleyes:

(And I stayed for the entire game)

295716[/snapback]

How is some stupid ticket stub proof that you were there?

With all that photo software and MacIntosh crap you you own, I don't doubt that you print your own Comeback game stubs and sell them on Ebay. As for the Frank

Reich autograph - who would know? I hear some of your bogus stubs were signed Frank "the 3rd" Reich and had a little silver sharpie swastika instead of the usual "# 14" thingy.

Next thing you'll be selling autographed John Lennon CD's.

I was at my in-laws house in Indiana watching the game. Very discouraged at half-time, I took my time eating dinner. I entered the living room as the Bills scored their first T.D. I said, "They can still win this". Everybody laughed. I should have bet them money. I stayed for the rest of the game. Drove ten hours home, and went to work the next day very tired, but also very pleased. The good old days.

:rolleyes:

Piss drunk in the upper deck with a bunch of friends. Aside from the game, we were also watching some poor Houston sap trying to get his Oilers hat back from a bunch of rabid, drunk Bills fans. What a day.

Is this the bi-annual creation of this thread? I swear I've seen this exact same thread like 4 times before.

295871[/snapback]

You are friggin God, You've seen everything like 4 times before haven't You? Sounds like maybe God had a little money bet on the oilers that day. :rolleyes:

Is this the bi-annual creation of this thread? I swear I've seen this exact same thread like 4 times before.

295871[/snapback]

sounds like one of the FQFC's (4th Quarter Fence Climbers)

for a worn out thread (or a rethread as I like to call 'em), 4 pages is pretty good. I probably posted a reply to all 4 of those threads, Dear Lord. For some of us, it's like talking about your first sample of tang. It never gets old.

I was in the basement of the Comfort Inn in Niagara Falls. They had a dish and if you knew someone you could get in to see the blackout games.

I remember telling my girlfriend at the time during halftime that the Bills had zero chance of coming back. The pick and TD to start the 2nd half seemed to cement my prediction. It was the happiest crow I've ever eaten.

Two things I'll never forget about that game:

Van's call of "The Bills are back in it now, big time!"

and the guy that held up the "I don't hear any fat lady singing" sign.

Until we win one, that day was our Super Bowl.

Until we win one, that day was our Super Bowl.

296068[/snapback]

If I live to be 100 that will still be the greatest game I ever saw. Even if (when) we DO win the Super Bowl it won't have the magic that day had.

For the record, I was 23 and watching it with my dad at the old Coach's on Route 31 in Macedon, outside what was then the blackout line. When 90% of the crowd left after McDowell's pick, we moved up and sat right in front of the big screen. I can honestly say that the thought of leaving didn't cross my mind. The thought of winning didn't exactly cross my mind either, but hey: my team, win or lose.

Half an hour later the place was jampacked again and we had the best seats in the house. I never hugged so many complete strangers in my life.

How is some stupid ticket stub proof that you were there?

With all that photo software and MacIntosh crap you you own, I don't doubt that you print your own Comeback game stubs and sell them on Ebay. As for the Frank

Reich autograph - who would know? I hear some of your bogus stubs were signed Frank "the 3rd" Reich and had a little silver sharpie swastika instead of the usual "# 14" thingy.

295741[/snapback]

Frank would NEVER sign anything "the 3rd." Not his nature. He does sign every autograph with his number.

I was in the stands on the Houston sideline, 12th row, right around the scoreboard end goalline. The Bills ended up scoriung 4 TD's in front of us!

My father bitched and whined all morning that the game wasn't going to be on TV so finally I said get your things, we'll go. We went up and bought tickets from some guy.

I remember because he tried to switch tickets on me and give me something in the upper deck.

I truly wanted to leave at halftime but dad talked me out it! Good thing because I would never have lived it down.

sounds like one of the FQFC's (4th Quarter Fence Climbers)

for a worn out thread (or a rethread as I like to call 'em), 4 pages is pretty good. I probably posted a reply to all 4 of those threads, Dear Lord. For some of us, it's like talking about your first sample of tang. It never gets old.

296038[/snapback]

This thread has been around before no doubt. But new folks sign up all the time. The funny thing is that NOBODY has ever admitted to leaving the game even though half of the stadium left after the second quarter.

This thread has been around before no doubt. But new folks sign up all the time. The funny thing is that NOBODY has ever admitted to leaving the game even though half of the stadium left after the second quarter.

297167[/snapback]

yeah, you're right. allot of sleepless souls out there when this thread comes up. me, I sleep pretty good.

"We scored once, then again, then again and suddenly Rich stadium turned into Woodstock and the summer of love (without the nudity or brown acid!). Strangers were deeply embracing like long lost friends. High fives were had up and down rows. Nobody would sit and nobody would yell at you to sit down. To this day I have never experienced anything like the emotions I felt that magical day. Even when the game went to OT there was no doubt that our Bills were going to prevail. I remeber the OT interception like it was yesterday. When Christy came on to kick the game winning fg it was euphoria like you can not imagine. Stunned excitement was what it felt like to me."

When it went to OT, I knew there was no way they would be denied. You could feel it even before that point too. The 4th down TD to Reed to make it 35-31 was when I just knew that something extraordinary was going to happen.

The feeling in the stadium after the kick in OT was unlike anything I've ever experienced at a sporting event. The stands were by no means full (especially in the upper deck) and people were running up and down high fiving everyone and jumping over seats to get to friends. I started spotting people I knew all over and place and most had smuggled in booze of some sort and a party pretty much started up. I think we lingered there for a while- maybe an hour? Everyone refusing to leave just to make certain that what happened was indeed real. Surreal is the only way to describe it. There was a feeling of euphoria hanging over the stadium, everyone was drunk and giddy. The only way we can recapture that would be a Super Bowl win.

"We scored once, then again, then again and suddenly Rich stadium turned into Woodstock and the summer of love (without the nudity or brown acid!). Strangers were deeply embracing like long lost friends. High fives were had up and down rows. Nobody would sit and nobody would yell at you to sit down. To this day I have never experienced anything like the emotions I felt that magical day.  Even when the game went to OT there was no doubt that our Bills were going to prevail. I remeber the OT interception like it was yesterday. When Christy came on to kick the game winning fg it was euphoria like you can not imagine. Stunned excitement was what it felt like to me."

When it went to OT, I knew there was no way they would be denied. You could feel it even before that point too. The 4th down TD to Reed to make it 35-31 was when I just knew that something extraordinary was going to happen.

The feeling in the stadium after the kick in OT was unlike anything I've ever experienced at a sporting event. The stands were by no means full (especially in the upper deck) and people were running up and down high fiving everyone and jumping over seats to get to friends. I started spotting people I knew all over and place and most had smuggled in booze of some sort  and a party pretty much started up. I think we lingered there for a while- maybe an hour? Everyone refusing to leave just to make certain that what happened was indeed real. Surreal is the only way to describe it. There was a feeling of euphoria hanging over the stadium, everyone was drunk and giddy. The only way we can recapture that would be a Super Bowl win.

297505[/snapback]

very descriptive! reminds me, remember a few years ago BB.com had a contest for the best Comeback Game essay? well, i was the winner of the VIP passes to training camp. I couldn't go, but my brother took his son. anyway, your description looks allot like what I wrote.

I was at the game. On the way there, a light came on in my car that said Oil/Choke. It came on again on the way home, and we had a good laugh about it.

I never doubted we'd win at any point- look at the Denver game on both sides!