Josh Allen vs Lamar Jackson comparison: A Thread

Saw this. 

Was thinking about posting it on social media for all my friends that think Allen is trash. 

But then I realized it's better that I keep this one under wraps, for fantasy football victory purposes. ?

• Like (+1) 8
  • Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

do we have to??    :lol:

For me, all I need is "the eye test" to compare these two. 

LJ is TT 2.0 .  LJ is a "better"* passer than TT   (* meaning he is not afraid to pass)  

JA is a passer who isn't afraid to run.  

I think Lamar can pass. He threw it all over the field on college. He struggled at times last year when he couldn’t read the coverages. I think he has *potential* to be a real “dual threat” - my concern is that he’s going to end up like RG3. I don’t think his frame can sustain what makes him “special.” I also think he’s not very intelligent based on some of the stuff that has been reported. That can inhibit him to evolve as an nfl QB

7 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Allen is a better QB than Jackson.  Let’s set the bar higher than that this season though.  Looking forward to making some favorable comparisons to some real QBs this season. 

The comparison is being made because they are both 2nd year QBs who are “dual” threats running and passing. No one knows who will be the better QB yet. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

LJ is TT 2.0 .  LJ is a "better"* passer than TT   (* meaning he is not afraid to pass)  

Got to agree with this. 

Results for this comparison will be clearer by end of this year. 

Let’s see how Jackson does when he has to throw the ball to win the game. 

Allen needs to show he can consistently throw to win games. Difference is Allen got better last year as the year went on, I am not sure we can say that about Jackson. 

• Like (+1) 2

That's a great breakdown and basically confirms what I thought . Jackson is a very good system QB and is perfect for a Greg Roman scheme.

The Chargers did a wonderful job in the WC game last year exposing Jackson,  taking away his rushing ability and in turn the Raven offense was useless. I just don't see him improving much as a passer at this stage. 

I'd even go as far as saying Tyrod Taylor is a more well rounded QB than Jackson. As far as compared to Allen, it isn't even close.  Jackson is just so limited in the pass game

Edited by JerseyBills
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think Lamar can pass. He threw it all over the field on college. He struggled at times last year when he couldn’t read the coverages. I think he has *potential* to be a real “dual threat” - my concern is that he’s going to end up like RG3. I don’t think his frame can sustain what makes him “special.” I also think he’s not very intelligent based on some of the stuff that has been reported. That can inhibit him to evolve as an nfl QB

The comparison is being made because they are both 2nd year QBs who are “dual” threats running and passing. No one knows who will be the better QB yet. 

I get the reasoning for comparing the two. I just am not a fan of LJ.  I’ve been upfront about where I think JA needs to improve, but at least he has a chance to do so.  I see LJ as too limited to be successful for any length of time in the NFL as anything other than a backup.

I’ll give my appraisal of LJ one caveat: the NFL game is changing and he might be serviceable in it.  That’s his ceiling IMO though. 

Just now, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Got to agree with this. 

Results for this comparison will be clearer by end of this year. 

Let’s see how Jackson does when he has to throw the ball to win the game. 

Allen needs to show he can consistently throw to win games. Difference is Allen got better last year as the year went on, I am not sure we can say that about Jackson. 

Lamar played really well when he went into LA late in the year and beat the Chargers... that was a really good D. They shut him down 3 weeks later in the playoffs (until they let him right back in the game when they dialed it down in the 2nd half) 

• Like (+1) 1

Lamar Jackson, like so many other run first QB is quickly diagnosed how to defend.    How did he do in the playoffs?

J Allen certainly has some questions about his ability to be an accurate NFL QB but there is no doubt that he has tremendous upside.  J Allen may turn into a great QB, I dont think Lamar ever will.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, RoyBatty is alive said:

Lamar Jackson, like so many other run first QB is quickly diagnosed how to defend.    How did he do in the playoffs?

J Allen certainly has some questions about his ability to be an accurate NFL QB but there is no doubt that he has tremendous upside.  J Allen may turn into a great QB, I dont think Lamar ever will.

I’m not really defending Lamar but for accuracy sake, I think some of the playoff game was on coaching. The Chargers were really thin at LB and has just played Lamar 3 weeks earlier - they used a totally different D that had 5 DBs and safeties playing LB as a recall. I just don’t think the ravens were prepared. 

Allen is a much better quarterback than Jackson. I live outside Baltimore and Jackson is very limited in the passing game and has issues holding onto the ball.  CLE shut down the run game in the 2nd half of the season finale and SD shut it down for the entire playoff game.  D-coordinators will have all offseason to stop the run, so if Jackson cannot expand the passing game beyond hitting TEs down the seam, he may be Tim Tebow 2.0. 

I would put 8 in the box, take away the short middle in the passing game and force Jackson to throw deep outs and down the field because I don’t think he can do it.  Their receiving core will be one of the weaker units in the league which will not help things. 

44 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Both hold the ball too long just like Tyrod.  Allen needs to improve the rhythm passing, and stop with the hero ball at times.  There's a lot to improve and a lot to like.  The o-line makes his 2018 season kind of hard to evaluate, as do the lack of consistent WR threats.  I hope to see some pretty stark improvements this year.  

LJ had a ton of designed runs like kaepernick - that typically works when you drive the ball down the field more.  You open up deep outs, fly routes, etc by forcing them to keep extra guys in the box.  Greg Roman is the O-coordinator... who was coordinator with Alex Smith, Kaep, Tyrod etc.  He's likely going to continue running LJ at least 10 times a game, and hes going to emphasize hitting receivers outside the numbers.  LJs sack% last year was almost 9 and i expect it to hover around 9-10 next year as Roman typically seems to coach a protect the ball type of offense.  He also struggled in the playoff game when his team was behind and he was forced to take out the read-option stuff.  7 sacks, 1 pick, 3 fumbles.  

Also something to keep in mind - he only threw 3 picks and had a 1.8% INT rate... but he fumbled 12 times and 3 more times in the playoff game.  That is a LOT of fumbles.  

51 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I do! Josh Allen.

• Like (+1) 3

On 7/11/2019 at 10:02 AM, whatdrought said:

This is actually literally racist. You only like Allen better than Jackson cause he’s white. Such racism. Almost as racist as benching a black qb for a white qb after the starter throws for 57 whole yards!! This is racist!

*sarcasm

Nike will be contacting you soon with a job offer.?

Its really not that confusing @Logic and @ddaryl

Is it snowing?

Edited by formerlyofCtown

3 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Nike will be contacting you soon with a job offer.?

Sweet. I have some ideas about how the colors red white and blue are racist and a throw back to slavery and need to permanently be removed from all color wheels. 

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Logic said:

I wanted absolutely nothing to do with Lamar Jackson in last year's draft. Based on the leaked Bills QB board, it looks like they felt the same.

Seen that movie, bought the t-shirt. No thanks.

I’m not surprised he wasn’t on their board. I think Beane likes prototypes in terms of size and Lamar isn’t that.

• Like (+1) 1