2019 Hurricane Season

T&C

22 hours ago, Boca BIlls said:

Wow and that thing just wont move from there either.

I fear the death toll will be ridiculous once they're able to get out and have a better look. Some of the photos I'm seeing look like the aftermath of F5 touchdowns -- on entire villages. Factor in the storm surge and it's unfathomable.

Edited by Golden Goat
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Boca BIlls said:

Two takeaways:

1. Modern construction hip roofs seemed to fair visibly well.  Or, ar least visibly well enough when hit with 185mph sustained winds and +200mph gusts.  Of course they were hurricane strapped, etc....

2. Check out where some of those boats ended up!

/smh in disbelief Like Mutha Nature took a #2 pencil and rubbed The Bahamas out with its eraser! Even worse, she grabbed the jumbo Pink Pearl and went to town. Maybe a speck here or there that she attempted to employ her erasing shield with. Just  WOW!

JC!  Next time hope Mutha Nature uses:

00v02538000000-st-01-shield.1546277413.j

With this:

41JI-YpHWEL._SX425_.jpg

Might as well just send it through this and start on over! What do you do?  Can you bulldoze the whole island, like make a clean pass with a Zamboni®!!!

ABXY_131221195261691365sba11AghEe.jpg

5 hours ago, Special K said:

We look to be dodging another bullet here in the Orlando area...a few squalls of heavy rain, and if the wind went above 35 mph here, I’d be shocked.

Everyone on the state side got extremely lucky. Bahamas are basically gone now b.c of it. Don't know how anyone survives days of weather like that. 

15 hours ago, Boca BIlls said:

Jesus.  That looks like tornado damage.  That's Andrew/Camille bad.  

That's going to be a B word to respond to.  Hell, the response to Andrew took a week to start, because the infrastructure in Broward County was smashed.  And they weren't an island.

1 hour ago, DC Tom said:

Jesus.  That looks like tornado damage.  That's Andrew/Camille bad.  

That's going to be a B word to respond to.  Hell, the response to Andrew took a week to start, because the infrastructure in Broward County was smashed.  And they weren't an island.

I have a hard time imagining those kind of sustained wind speeds for an hour or two.  To get them for over 24 hours?  Crazy.

23 hours ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

Sad thing is that now that the pressure is mostly off Florida, when/if a real threat arrives, people may ignore it.

The Carolina's could have some problems with coastal flooding.  They don't call it the "low country" for nothing.

I understand that concern. But since Matthew and then Irma, people seem to be taking a it a lot more seriously here, i think. If we go 10 years without any damage, they may slip again. Somehow I don't think we'll get that "lucky". 

But the think ordering a mandatory evacuation more than 48 hours before the storm might hit, is the kind of thing that can lead people to ignore authorities. Couldn't they just put the area on "notice", telling them sometime Tuesday they might get an evacuation order? I don't know. But anyone really paying attention to the storm knew there was no issue for this area on Monday. Seemed like a simple CYA move.

15 hours ago, Special K said:

We look to be dodging another bullet here in the Orlando area...a few squalls of heavy rain, and if the wind went above 35 mph here, I’d be shocked.

It's pretty much over here, whatever "it" was. We were very lucky, that's for sure. But as it ended up, a regular big rain storm is worse than what my area just went through. Again. Thankfully.  What happened in the Bahamas was simply tragic. I really hope no more people are hurt by this storm.

9 hours ago, Just Jack said:

That's awesome.

56 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

Maybe I should take a walk on the beach tonight.  :rolleyes:

11 hours ago, The Dean said:

Maybe I should take a walk on the beach tonight.  :rolleyes:

Our beaches did okay can here Dean. It as crazy watching that thing sit there for over a day as a cat 5 and knowing it was only about 100 miles from us down here in Jensen Beach. Tuesday night I let my dogs out in between bands and heard the hurricane hunters plane flying over. Hadn't heard air traffic for several days so I knew it was them. 

19 minutes ago, Fires said:

Our beaches did okay can here Dean. It as crazy watching that thing sit there for over a day as a cat 5 and knowing it was only about 100 miles from us down here in Jensen Beach. Tuesday night I let my dogs out in between bands and heard the hurricane hunters plane flying over. Hadn't heard air traffic for several days so I knew it was them. 

My Sister is in Stuart on Hutchinson Island.  She is still up North till Tuesday.

How did the barrier islands fair in and around Stuart?

2 hours ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

If this wasn't a "family" site ..... 

Seriously ...   anyone in the path (if and or when it arrives)   Be safe 

I'm not too far from Wilmington NC,(3 and hlf hrs north) and it's barrelling it's way here now with it's teeth showing lol. Hope it takes a sharper turn NE asap so the impact won't quite be as bad. But we got tornado warnings popping up all over the place here as of right now. Supposed to get the worse of it later this afternoon into this evening.

Edited by Patrick_Duffy
  • Like (+1) 1