The downward spiral of sports media/talk shows credibility continues

To be honest we all know that espn, fox sports, and nbcsports haven’t had any credibility for a long stretch of time when it comes to sports news. But, these past two days on two separate networks they have used a troll account tweet’s as a credible source of information on two separate occasions. 

I was dying when Skip actually said manboobs. 

Edited by Captain Murica

30 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Hopefully these mavens and pundits will all revert to their ‘pennysaver’ printed publications, and 500 watt (daytime only) AM radio stations in the hinterlands.  I’m not counting on it, but I can hope.  ?

i'd enjoy the ability to go back to AM radio late at night from across North America without setting up a computer and the internet and all that....

It's funny.

The major downward spiral in sports talk went downhill when Chris Russo left Mike and the Mad Dog.

Sports talk has been total garbage ever since and there are people who don't waste a second any more of listening to these talking baboons.

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, njbuff said:

It's funny.

The major downward spiral in sports talk went downhill when Chris Russo left Mike and the Mad Dog.

Sports talk has been total garbage ever since and there are people who don't waste a second any more of listening to these talking baboons.

Steve Somers is still around?

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, njbuff said:

I think so, but who cares.

I never listened to him anyways. What a bore he was/is.

Somers is by far the most entertaining listen on WFAN.   He just doesn't scream and yell like every other jerk.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Somers is by far the most entertaining listen on WFAN.   He just doesn't scream and yell like every other jerk.

WFAN has one of the worst lineups imaginable.

Somers might be the best of an AWFUL lineup. 

Joe and Evan are ok at best, but the rest is PURE GARBAGE. Totally unlistenable.

Plus, if you are not a baseball fan, WFAN is not for you because they talk baseball 24/7/365.

If you aren't a baseball fan, do you really wanna hear talk about Mickey Mantle's 1955 stats in the middle of January?

That's one of the reasons I no longer listen to WFAN at all and I don't even have the station in any of my radio memory banks.

And I used to have WFAN on all the time back in the day.

i started with WFAN in 1988 while recovering from a major illness, the overnight stuff was the best with Somers for many hours (Larry King's radio show was great as well)

Somers is a great host, never arrogant or dismissive

i do miss the oldtimers calling into WFAN with memories of seeing Babe Ruth and DiMaggio playing. Somers would let them go on for many minutes

• Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, njbuff said:

WFAN has one of the worst lineups imaginable.

Somers might be the best of an AWFUL lineup. 

Joe and Evan are ok at best, but the rest is PURE GARBAGE. Totally unlistenable.

Plus, if you are not a baseball fan, WFAN is not for you because they talk baseball 24/7/365.

If you aren't a baseball fan, do you really wanna hear talk about Mickey Mantle's 1955 stats in the middle of January?

That's one of the reasons I no longer listen to WFAN at all and I don't even have the station in any of my radio memory banks.

And I used to have WFAN on all the time back in the day.

I agree it's not what it used to be.....and I moved away 3 years ago so presume it's only gotten worse.  The old days were the best with Imus in the morning (how many big NBA fans remember Mike Breen as his sports guy), Mike/Dog in the afternoon and the Mets games.   Francesca became unlistenable the day Dog left.  Boomer/Carton were usually pretty lame (did he go to jail btw?).  Yeah, Joe and Evan were ok.

But I always enjoyed Somers.  And my Mom loved him, thought he was hilarious.

And it could be worse than all baseball.....here in SF it is basketball 24x7x365.   In the last 50 times I have cruised by the sports station here they have mentioned the two local baseball teams a great total of zero times.  I think they talked football the day of the draft.    Did you know Kevin Durant might opt out of his contract???   Latest update coming up!!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

9 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

We're entered a world of Shock Jocks for the most part.  

Yelling at the person next to you doesn't make you any less correct or incorrect 

I watch the Michael Kay Show on MSG patiently waiting for him to blow an aorta. 

• Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, njbuff said:

It's funny.

Are you saying Mike and the Mad Dog were good?

I miss Coach Dickerson and his sometime guest Art Wander. They were very entertaining ripping the Bills to shreds on WGR for the post-Kelly entrance into the nadir and maelstrom.

17 hours ago, row_33 said:

I miss Coach Dickerson and his sometime guest Art Wander. They were very entertaining ripping the Bills to shreds on WGR for the post-Kelly entrance into the nadir and maelstrom.

I always agree with your posts and the reasoning behind them; I also appreciate the occasional reaction you give me for one of my opinions.  That being said, I must, in this instance, depart from my prior appreciation of your efforts on TBD.  Coach Dickerson, Art Wander....these guys were lower than a wagon track in the pantheon of sports talk show "personalities."

I can only hope that your future posts will return to the reasoned parameters of the past thus regaining my devoted following.

13 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

These things happen because you no longer have experienced producers, or any producers at all. There's no quality control when you are overwhelmed and you have to get content on the air.

At the risk of repeating myself too often, the 3-7 p.m. show on WGR was funny and creative when Greg Bauch was the producer.  The fact that he left Entercorpse for a position at the marketing group responsible for the Talking White Pages should tell you something.  Since Bauch’s departure, very little worth listening to 3-7 p.m. over there.

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013

4 hours ago, Keukasmallies said:

I always agree with your posts and the reasoning behind them; I also appreciate the occasional reaction you give me for one of my opinions.  That being said, I must, in this instance, depart from my prior appreciation of your efforts on TBD.  Coach Dickerson, Art Wander....these guys were lower than a wagon track in the pantheon of sports talk show "personalities."

I can only hope that your future posts will return to the reasoned parameters of the past thus regaining my devoted following.

It was entertaining for getting me thru 90 minute commutes each way for a few years.

people whine and moan on here about WGR bashing local teams these days, they’d be sent into a swoon and faint if they heard what Coach and Arty Baby Booboo were saying back then

9 hours ago, row_33 said:

It was entertaining for getting me thru 90 minute commutes each way for a few years.

people whine and moan on here about WGR bashing local teams these days, they’d be sent into a swoon and faint if they heard what Coach and Arty Baby Booboo were saying back then

All is forgiven.  I, too, would choose to listen to the underwhelming duo of Dickerson/Wander when facing a daily180 minute commute, but only then.  Yeah, Bulldog, et. al. do apppear to shine in  comparison to yesteryear's offerings.

I think once the internet happened a lot of sports reporting went downhill ex: SportsCenter.  It’s like these networks had to figure out ways to make the reporting entertaining since you can get the scores anywhere.  

It keeps getting worse to the point it’s like watching cartoons with sports reporting but imo that’s where it started 

14 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

I think once the internet happened a lot of sports reporting went downhill ex: SportsCenter.  It’s like these networks had to figure out ways to make the reporting entertaining since you can get the scores anywhere.  

It keeps getting worse to the point it’s like watching cartoons with sports reporting but imo that’s where it started 

I do not find a panel of 2-5 guys yelling over the top of each other entertaining. Stephen A. Is the rare talent that can yell at me when he sits there all by himself.

I’m not a big fan of yelling over the top of each other. It reminds me of my wife’s giant Lebanese family, and apparently it’s rude to go into another part of the house and read a book.  ?

3 minutes ago, Augie said:

I do not find a panel of 2-5 guys yelling over the top of each other entertaining. Stephen A. Is the rare talent that can yell at me when he sits there all by himself.

I’m not a big fan of yelling over the top of each other. It reminds me of my wife’s giant Lebanese family, and apparently it’s rude to go into another part of the house and read a book.  ?

Well I said in the sentence before sports reporting went downhill.  

I was trying to suggest these networks feel the need to resort to that sort of nonsense to attract viewers.  

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

Well I said in the sentence before sports reporting went downhill.  

I was trying to suggest these networks feel the need to resort to that sort of nonsense to attract viewers.  

Absolutely, they are trying to evolve to stay relevant. I just hope they can do it in a less annoying way. I used to watch Mike & Mike, but ESPN killed it (for some reason), so now I’m leaning more toward Dan Patrick. The shows where they have to yell at each other are of no interest to me. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

‘Rude’ = ‘sensible’, in this case.

But what’s overwhelming to me is just............normal to them!

You give it a few decades and it seems they have mellowed, but maybe I’ve made progress in tuning it out. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Augie said:

But what’s overwhelming to me is just............normal to them!

You give it a few decades and it seems they have mellowed, but maybe I’ve made progress in tuning it out. 

Something like this below?  Replacing Lebanese with Greek.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

Something like this below?  Replacing Lebanese with Greek.  

It’s true! I have been known as “E-Yon” Miller since this came out! (And I am, of course, wonderful!) But that credited me with 2 too many cousins and I can’t count hers. I was ground breaking as the first non-Lebanese. My wife’s first cousins (brother and sister), actually married a brother/sister team. This stuff is REAL!   LOL

My first Thanksgiving with them was quite a shock.....

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Augie said:

It’s true! I have been known as “E-Yon” Miller since this came out! (And I am, of course, wonderful!) But that credited me with 2 too many cousins and I can’t count hers. I was ground breaking as the first non-Lebanese. My wife’s first cousins (brother and sister), actually married a brother/sister team. This stuff is REAL!   LOL

My first Thanksgiving with them was quite a shock.....

You must ‘falafel’...being non Lebanese.  ?

(And with that, I sink to the lowest form of wit...the pun.)

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013

26 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

You must ‘falafel’...being non Lebanese.  ?

(And with that, I sink to the lowest form of wit...the pun.)

I “falafel” that first Thanksgiving, I’ll tell you! We weren't even married yet, and I expected...you know....THANKSGIVING!  Out comes the tebouleh, the kibbee,  the hummus, the stuffed grapes leaves....wave after wave of strange food I silently watched arrive. Eventually a turkey showed up. It had spent about one extra day in the oven. When my now BIL came with family to us the next year, he said far too loudly “hey mom, this turkey isn’t all dry like yours!” 

When my FIL was in chemo I learned how to eat kibbee. Since he couldn’t taste anything he just covered it in Texas Pete, which to this day is my go-to. Never really acquired a taste for any of it but a good hummus. When her HUGE family gets together, it’s at a middle eastern place almost 100% of the time. The weddings are catered with Lebanese food, most recently in the Bahamas a couple months ago. Middle Eastern food in the Bahamas? Yep.... I often eat a bit before we go.