Best New York State Amusement Parks?

Best New York State Amusement Parks?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Best New York State Amusement Parks?

• Seabreeze Amusement Park
    • Six Flags Darien Lake
    • Martin's Fantasy Island
    • Roseland Water Park
    • Sylvan Beach Amusement Park
    • Enchanted Forest Water Safari
    • Six Flags Great Escape
    • Other

I can tell you right now that the Great Escape is an absolute dump.  I had season passes for the past 6-7 years.  It's a dump.  Many rides are down more than they're working.  They do no aesthetic maintenance at all.  Luckily, my son has grown out of going more than once/year (and we'll see about that).  I have friends who've already gone this year and they are reporting that it's the same ... too many rides down and the place looks like garbage.

11 minutes ago, Just Joshin' said:

Maybe you need to ask in what regard. For adults, for kids, water park, thrill rides, entertainment?

In asking in regards to everything and all ages. 

27 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I can tell you right now that the Great Escape is an absolute dump.  I had season passes for the past 6-7 years.  It's a dump.  Many rides are down more than they're working.  They do no aesthetic maintenance at all.  Luckily, my son has grown out of going more than once/year (and we'll see about that).  I have friends who've already gone this year and they are reporting that it's the same ... too many rides down and the place looks like garbage.

I never been to  the Great Escape but from what I have seen from the website, there aren't  many roller coasters or fun rides. Darien Lake is definitely better than Great Escape. 

I not get to many amusement parks in NY but if I go in summer I like to stop at Darien Lake for the fireworks / laser show if timing is right on drive in.

It has been a few years so I am not sure if it is still going and if so what has changed.

32 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

It has been a few years so I am not sure if it is still going and if so what has changed.

Well, nothing has changed if you read the [BN]competent in the correct order:

1.  ‘Smiles At’ galleries from the rap or C&W concerts.

2.  DWI and disorderly conduct arrests by sherrif’s deputies after said concerts.

3.  Court outcomes of item 2.

i'd guess darien lake because it's one of the six flags in the area.  it's been pretty comparable to the out of states ones that i've been to.  seabreeze is the only other park i've been to on the list.  i wouldn't come from out of the area to go there, but for the locals in rochester, it's great for the kids.  decent rides and games, along with having a nice water park too.  the crowd can get a bit gross,  but i think there's now a new rule with how many kids there can be per adult.

2 hours ago, Seasons1992 said:

Fantasy Island is a real value and have been back a few times in the past 5 years.

Not New York, although we went there every summer for the 4th growing up in WNY. Great fireworks display over the lake and the Blue Streak is an excellent wooden coaster. Nice to see they are sort of keeping it the way it was back then. Ever been?

http://www.newconneautlakepark.com/index.cfm

Can't really comment on any of them. I see Great escape has the Comet from Crystal Beach.  I think that was Storytown back around 1960, a small kids park. My parents took us there when we went to visit someone in Vermont once.  Was at Darien Lake once  when my Dad's employer had the company picnic there (right after the Viper opened). Was at Fantasy Island as a kid, but then was in the early-mid 60s.  Our neighbor was one of the bad guys that got shot by th sheriff in the show.

Edited by Wacka

4 minutes ago, Wacka said:

Our neighbor was one of the bad guys that got shot by th sheriff in the show.

I hope he reformed his wayward lifestyle.  ? 

Back in the mid 60s, staffers would apply a ‘Fantasy Island’ bumper sticker to the cars in the parking lot while families visited the park.  I remember watching two kids peel and wash the sticker off the brand new family car after my mother complained at the office.  (A formidable woman.  ?)

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013

he ended up working for the other own parks dept. hell her mind o herself s late 50Svand died on the job when a tree fell and n him.  The autopsy showed h was drunk at the time.  Didn't get out of the way when they felled it. 

On 6/4/2019 at 10:16 AM, Gugny said:

I am 40 and I have never grown out of going to amusement parks. I end up at Cedar Point probably 5 to 6 times a year on top of going to Wonderland a dozen or so times a season. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

I hope he reformed his wayward lifestyle.  ? 

Back in the mid 60s, staffers would apply a ‘Fantasy Island’ bumper sticker to the cars in the parking lot while families visited the park.  I remember watching two kids peel and wash the sticker off the brand new family car after my mother complained at the office.  (A formidable woman.  ?)

LMAO... Man that was bold (to slap stickers on vehicles). Betcha that 1960s adhesive was bad azz... And the 1960s steel practically rusting right off the assembly line!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Interesting list.   Sylvan Beach versus Darien Lake. That’s quite a contrast. 

Enchanted Forest has amusement park rides (my kids called that the dry part) and water park rides (the wet part).  Nothing great, but fairly convenient from central NY. We used to go there a couple times a year when the kids were little. My son would occasionally go to the water park part into his 20’s.