Image result for pete carroll
facebook_icon.svg  
  twitter_icon.svg  
  email_icon.svg  

• 0ap1000000236552.jpg
  • By Kevin Patra
  • Around the NFL Writer
  • Published: May 20, 2019 at 09:01 a.m.

Pete Carroll would like to stuff the genie back into the bottle.

The Seattle Seahawks head coach wants to return to the days before instant replay, or at least lessen the amount replay is used.

Peter King, in his Football Morning In America column this week, polled 25 people asking one thing they'd like to change about football. Carroll suggested killing instant replay.

"Get rid of -- or at least decrease the use of -- instant replay," Carroll said. "I get all the reasons why we have instant replay, and technology has opened up a new world for us to get to this point. But I miss the human element of trusting the officials to make the calls in the moment and then the rest of us having to live with what they called. It was both fun and frustrating, but I really liked the game better when the officials were just as much a part of the game as the players."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001031249/article/pete-carroll-nfl-should-decrease-use-of-instant-replay

Edited by HOUSE

This will never, ever happen. With that said, I agree 100%. Part of the reason I enjoy High School Football so much is that it’s still pure football. No interruptions from a million different replays. My somewhat realistic solution to the replay problem is to give each coach 2 challenges, everything is challengeable. There is no booth review within 2 minutes, every challenge must initiate from a coach. You don’t get another challenge for getting one right. Replay reviews have a 2 minute “shot clock” and must be viewed in real time. If 2 minutes of viewing expires the call on the field automatically stands. 

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

I think they should get rid of SLOW MOTION replay.

Any replay on TV/reviews should be at the same speed that it is seen on the field

I've never heard this, nor considered it.  But I like it.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

So they can get things wrong twice in a row?

Well ... no.

I makes sense to me that if replay is going to be used, that it's at the same speed as the LIVE play.

Let's use the Rams/Saints non-call.  In real time, it's easy to see that it was a missed call and should have definitely been a penalty.

To me ... if you have to spend 5 minutes looking at something in super slo-mo in order to determine the correct call, then it's not even feasible to expect any ref to get that call right in real time.

The game isn't played in slow motion; so the replays shouldn't be in slow motion, either.

I really like the notion.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, HOUSE said:
Image result for tre white gif

still want to know why he was yelling at the REF before the Neanderthal clubbed Tre' 

26 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Well ... no.

I makes sense to me that if replay is going to be used, that it's at the same speed as the LIVE play.

Let's use the Rams/Saints non-call.  In real time, it's easy to see that it was a missed call and should have definitely been a penalty.

To me ... if you have to spend 5 minutes looking at something in super slo-mo in order to determine the correct call, then it's not even feasible to expect any ref to get that call right in real time.

The game isn't played in slow motion; so the replays shouldn't be in slow motion, either.

I really like the notion.

Enforce the 90 second rule.  

ALL VIDEO feeds to the Refs portapotty is shut down after 90 seconds.  

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

I've never heard this, nor considered it.  But I like it.

John Murphy talks about it all the time. He wants to get rid of replay too, but in absence of that has called for replay to be only allowed at full speed.

1 hour ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

still want to know why he was yelling at the REF before the Neanderthal clubbed Tre' 

You mean the Pats coach? He is probably yelling that Tre interfered with Gronk (which he clearly did). Did you think that was a Bills coach? Pretty sure the Pats logo is on his hat.

5 minutes ago, MJS said:

John Murphy talks about it all the time. He wants to get rid of replay too, but in absence of that has called for replay to be only allowed at full speed.

I'm no purist, by any means.  I think if technology can make the game better, then it should be taken advantage of.  I would really like to see replay used to catch the egregious penalties missed by officials; especially game-changers.  If they're egregious, then they should be able to be seen at full speed; very quickly, at that.

• Like (+1) 1