Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
TigerJ

The most encouraging rookie camp observation that I saw

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

For sure. The Castillo hiring was the only hiring that I opening loathed and challenged.  His work as OL and run game coordinator was awful.  As run game coordinator for the ravens in 2013, they averaged a league low 3.1 per attempt, ranked around the middle of the pack in attempts while finishing with the 3rd lowest rushing yards.  His OL in Baltimore had way more talent than we did imo.  It was inevitable that he would either be fired or McD would lose his job because he kept him.  

 

I'll confess I didn't realize how bad Castillo was until we hired him.  In fact, I remember Castillo getting positive reviews as the OL coach in Philly until they bizarrely made him the DC - apparently thinking at the time that he'd be an upgrade over our very own Sean McDermott!   I was oblivious to his struggles in Baltimore.  

  • Like (+1) 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jpsredemption said:

The Castillo hire underwhelming along with a lot McDermotts initial staff. 

Which should have been expected given how the organization was perceived around the league at that time.  Competent professionals don't want to work in an environment with a lame duck GM. 

 

Juan Castillo could have been Jim Hanifan (he isn't) but there wasn't much to work with last season.  The BILLS are very fortunate that Josh Allen didn't get completely wrecked behind that Oline with that group of wide receivers.  It had David Carr/Tim Couch written all over it.

  • Like (+1) 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

If the Bills don’t improve on o-line then Bean is a failure at GM as is McDermott as a coach. They have done a lot to address the situation. 

 

The success or failure of Josh Allen will determine whether Beane is a success or failure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Kemp said:

 

The success or failure of Josh Allen will determine whether Beane is a success or failure.

 

...and the OTHER 52 get a free pass I suppose.....now there's an intuitive comment...SMH.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

 

...and the OTHER 52 get a free pass I suppose.....now there's an intuitive comment...SMH.....

 

If you don't think this is how it will play out, then perception history of every franchise must be wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Kemp said:

 

If you don't think this is how it will play out, then perception history of every franchise must be wrong.

 

..so then EVERY GM who selected a QB in 2018 draft as well as 2019 for that matter should know their azz is on the line for ONE pick....if you say so.....SMH....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

 

..so then EVERY GM who selected a QB in 2018 draft as well as 2019 for that matter should know their azz is on the line for ONE pick....if you say so.....SMH....

 

Name all of the GMs since the NFL became a passing league who have been considered great without a stellar QB, and the reverse.

Whether any of us think it's a fair way to evaluate a GM, that is almost always how it plays out. I'm surprised anyone wouldn't believe that.

If Josh Allen becomes a legit stud at QB, almost everyone here will think Beane has done a good job.

If Allen fails, most people here will want Beane gone. Again, it may or may not be fair, but it's reality. 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

I presume if the opposite occurs you would agree both are successes?   Or maybe not.

 

No, that is your logic and assumption. Just because a caterpillar can turn into a butterfly does not mean the opposite is the case. 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Kemp said:

 

Name all of the GMs since the NFL became a passing league who have been considered great without a stellar QB, and the reverse.

Whether any of us think it's a fair way to evaluate a GM, that is almost always how it plays out. I'm surprised anyone wouldn't believe that.

If Josh Allen becomes a legit stud at QB, almost everyone here will think Beane has done a good job.

If Allen fails, most people here will want Beane gone. Again, it may or may not be fair, but it's reality. 

 

Yeah I agree.   Elway is a good example of someone who has made some decent moves but if he doesn't finally land a stellar qb in the next few years he's getting replaced.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jpsredemption said:

The Castillo hire underwhelming along with a lot McDermotts initial staff. 

I remember reading some good things about Castillo.  I wonder if he's just getting tired of the grind.  Coaching is a grind to be sure.  McDermott has shifted in his assistant hires from targeting experience to youth, enthusiasm, and a hands on style for his position coaches.  I think the point of hiring experience was to feel a little more secure as a new head coach hire.  Now, having a little experience of his own he's developing a taste for what he likes in his position coaches.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, aceman_16 said:

So four out of 27. Okay I was just curious how many "a lot" was to some people to fit narratives.

 

I don’t recall saying a lot but you asked for him to elaborate so I threw some names out there off the top of my head.

 

I couldn’t tell you how many coaches from McD’s initial staff are still on the team or even still coaching for that matter.

 

Regardless, his initial offensive staff was largely a big pile of 💩 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

Tiger -

 

thanks for the post and the link.  there's lots of good stuff in that article.

 

 the picture of Singletary, Oliver and Ford together is interesting.  Ford is a giant!

 

....and Singletary....is not. 

 

In teresting (and encouraging) to hear him called the best player on the field. I know, that doesn’t mean anything on day one of rookie camp in May, but it still makes me want to get a look at him in a game. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hondo in seattle said:

 

As you probably know, no HC hires his dream staff his first year in the saddle.  The best coordinators and position coaches are typically employed and under contract.   When he came to the Bills, McD hired the best unwanted castoffs that were available.

 

Over time, he'll continue to build his staff.   This season, it sure feels like we have upgrades at the QB and OL coaching positions.  

?

 

This is a terrible excuse.

 

Not sure if Kromer wasn't interested but keeping him on board would've made A LOT more sense than hiring Castillo. Kromer is an excellent O Line coach. 

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

 

Completely agree.  I think Leslie Frazier may be the only initial staff still with the team, and he too underwhelms.

I once felt that way about Leslie

 I no longer do.
He is executing the design nicely.
Full court press to address the Offense this year gets my thumbs up.

1 hour ago, TigerJ said:

I remember reading some good things about Castillo.  I wonder if he's just getting tired of the grind.  Coaching is a grind to be sure.  McDermott has shifted in his assistant hires from targeting experience to youth, enthusiasm, and a hands on style for his position coaches.  I think the point of hiring experience was to feel a little more secure as a new head coach hire.  Now, having a little experience of his own he's developing a taste for what he likes in his position coaches.

nailed it !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

 

....and no one declared a "bust" yet on TBD??....somethin' ain't passin' the smell test........

 

well, Knox bobbled and dropped his 1st catch attempt, so...

 BUST! 

  • Haha (+1) 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TigerJ said:

I remember reading some good things about Castillo.  I wonder if he's just getting tired of the grind.  Coaching is a grind to be sure.  McDermott has shifted in his assistant hires from targeting experience to youth, enthusiasm, and a hands on style for his position coaches.  I think the point of hiring experience was to feel a little more secure as a new head coach hire.  Now, having a little experience of his own he's developing a taste for what he likes in his position coaches.

Always a good idea to change your taste for coaches when your first set of hires are big flops.👍🏻

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

 

well, Knox bobbled and dropped his 1st catch attempt, so...

 BUST! 

... goner now...call the leader in "gettin' outta town".....

 

image.png.652ed3ebe23a38dc69b598bc4d204a6e.png

  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

I once felt that way about Leslie

 I no longer do.
He is executing the design nicely.
Full court press to address the Offense this year gets my thumbs up.

 

 

I''ll admit this, after the bye week (week 11), things got a lot better as far as the defense goes.  It is still kind of concerning how the defense let the Dolphins score 21 and the Jets 27 or Dec 2 and 9, respectively.  I'll give Frazier this year, as well as McDermott, before I get too critical on both.  For the attention that was paid to the defense in 2017 and 2018 by the FO, it should have been better than it was.  But we'll see...

 

Offense was in desperate need to be addressed, so that was good to see.  i still think we're short a DE/edge; and please don't count on Trent Murphy since that is setting up for disappointment.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, I am the egg man said:

The most encouraging rookie camp observation.....

 

.....full participation and no injuries ?

Shhh!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Different people have different teaching styles. As long as the coach can get his point across and the players improve, it doesn't much make a difference how. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...