So why was Josh Allen a 1st rounder & Tyree Jackson Undrafted?

4 minutes ago, Rampage said:

You’re not a scout. Teams put on the tape and obviously saw Josh Allen had the arm strength, footwork and throwing motion to put it together at the next level. He also obviously nailed his interviews, board work and background checks.

If you draft based on the stat sheet you’re gonna end up like the Raiders. Or us before Beane.

Yeah that 7-9 record before Beane was so much worse than our 6-10 record last year.  

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, C.Biscuit97 said:

Tony Romo did too.

And Favre, Aikman, Elway, Eli, and Otto Graham. If I didn't let the kids have their fun, they'd have no fun at all.

1 minute ago, Mark92 said:

OP is directly comparing the two players as are you  Yes is it's not the purpose of the thread but it is a comparison thread.  

He's looking for information on a detailed level what separates them as prospects because they're very similar on paper. A lot of people with '17' avatars can't seem to grasp that.

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, Mark92 said:

OP is directly comparing the two players as are you  Yes is it's not the purpose of the thread but it is a comparison thread.  

No, it was a question stating why 2 guys with very similar measurables and college careers in lower D1 conferences were drafted so far apart.  Some posters are so sensitive of anything that might be perceived as a slight against Allen.  Allen is the starter and Jackson is trying to make the roster.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Was it Drew Brees or Russel Wilson, I don't remember.

God, no one is saying that. Read slower, it'll do wonders.

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

No, it was a question stating why 2 guys with very similar measurables and college careers in lower D1 conferences were drafted so far apart.  Some posters are so sensitive of anything that might be perceived as a slight against Allen.  Allen is the starter and Jackson is trying to make the roster.  

It's directly comparing the two to try and figure out why they had such different draft grades.   It's not just combine and pro day numbers that make draft grades.  It's seeing the actual games.   Once you do that you get your answer

1 minute ago, Mark92 said:

It's directly comparing the two to try and figure out why they had such different draft grades.   It's not just combine and pro day numbers that make draft grades.  It's seeing the actual games.   Once you do that you get your answer

What's in the games that provides the answer? That's what he wants to know. Just drop the attitude and provide the information if you have it.

Edited by BullBuchanan
  • Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

Yea, numbers are for nerds. Facts just get in the way of the tried and true ol' eyeball test.

Yeah, because Tebow is working on his 5th Super Bowl because his stats say so! Those perennial pro-bowler QBs from Hawaii, Oklahoma St., and Washington State are killing right now in the NFL with all their stats they accumulated in college. Stats stats stats! 

7 minutes ago, Mark92 said:

But there were people who watched Allen and didn’t see a 1st round qb.  He had some dreadful games in college.  I think it’s an interesting question.  I think the height thing was a major reason why. Also, and we don’t have the information, but the interview part would be super interesting.  I think a nerd like Daniel Jones probably is awesome at interviews (or the Northwestern qb who I think is garbage).

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

What's in the games that provides the answer? That's what he wants to know. Just drop the attitude and provide the information if you have it.

Attitude?  I'm giving my opionion towards the OP question.  It's ok for others to disagree and or have have other opinions.  I don't see anyone else giving their opinions or answers 

14 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

No, it was a question stating why 2 guys with very similar measurables and college careers

Yes and it's a bad question. Scouts don't care about the career they had in college. Most Heisman trophy winners go on to do nothing. This whole thread is a really poor use of statistics.

• Like (+1) 1

My partial answer is the market and the marketplace.

Last years draft had a quantity of quarterbacks and teams wanting them - 5 picks in round 1. Browns, Jets, Bills, Cardinals as known suitors.  

This year quarterback needs were somewhat solved before the draft, e.g. Foles to Jaguars, Flacco to Denver.

This years crop was much weaker and with limited demand. Imagine Murray did not declare, only 2 quarterbacks would have been taken in round 1.

With Jones arguably not having a round one grade but on the plus side he did have the Cunliffe (Manning) connection.

Tyree did work out with Jordan Palmer but it didn't boost him enough to be drafted.

Let us hope that him not being drafted can benefit him and the Bills. Maybe some gimmick plays with Tyree and Josh on the field together.

I'm the furthest thing from a Josh Allen fanboy, but one distinct difference is release. If you watch TJ, he takes forever to get rid of the ball because he's got a windup like Tim Lincecum.

There's just no way a QB can hack it in the NFL if he takes that long to get rid of the football.

Here's Nate Geary's write-up on him: Mechanics and decision making are the two big points he makes: https://www.cover1.net/nate-geary-top-five-qbs-5-tyree-jackson-2019-nfl-draft/

I think it would be reasonable to guess that Jackson hasn't had a lot of quality coaching in his life. His physical abilities probably allowed him to play so far above everyone else at his level, that it wasn't required in HS, and given he played in the MAC, it may not have been available to him in college. The decision making part increases the possibility that he struggled on the whiteboard. If he did get the quality coaching, that means he wasn't able to incorporate it, which is another red flag.

12 hours ago, GreggTX said:

All I can say is that the 2 best QB's in the 2018 draft were already gone when we selected Allen. It remains to be seen if he's the real deal or just another running QB that can't hit the side of a barn. Many Bills fans simply will not allow themselves to see him as he really is -- Tyrod Taylor v2.0. At least TT made it to the probowl once. I'm getting tired of these QB's we bring in with the same MO (Allen, Taylor, EJ Manuel). I want a QB that throws the ball accurately with good placement on a consistent basis and one that makes quick, correct decisions. If he's a good scrambler, OK, but I really don't much care about that. How many rushing yards does Brady get in a season? 50 maybe? And he's got 6 SB rings.

You’re basically saying that because Josh Allen can run and wasn’t very accurate, that he’s TT.  TT doesn’t throw the ball unless players are wide open.  It’s why he isn’t a good QB imo.  No trust.  Can’t pull the trigger.  

Like most of us on this board, I watched every game that Josh Allen played last year.  I also watched every game that Tyree played last year.  To compare them is to, de facto, elevate Tyree to a place he does not belong.  I hope he finds "it" and becomes Allen's Frank Reich or a starter somewhere else, but thus far I don't see "it" in his repertoire.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, mannc said:

This is a really good question and an excellent post.  IMO, no one has given a very convincing answer.  I have not seen Jackson play, so I can’t offer an opinion, but you’ve made a strong case that the two are pretty similar, at least on paper. Certainly nothing jumps out that should make one a potential first overall pick and another an UDFA.

Unfortunately, your legitimate question brought out some of the worst aspects of TSW:  over half the responses are either smart-ass non-answers or completely non-responsive.  And some of the responses, while honest, are unconvincing.  Josh’s “fighting spirit”?  Really?   The difference between the MAC and the WAC?  Please...  I’m sure there is a good answer to this question, but we haven’t seen it in this thread.

Go back up and read Buffalo 716

52 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Was it Drew Brees or Russel Wilson, I don't remember.

God, no one is saying that. Read slower, it'll do wonders.

No . try again.  There is only one QB in NFL who has a 10% interception rate and a 1:4 TD to Int ratio.

This is easy... Josh is white.. before everyone gets all upset and refuse to acknowledge that race still plays into perceptions of black QB’s and their intelligence and ability to lead just ask yourself this question. When is the last time someone throws for 50 TD’s and under 10 interceptions in a major conference and wasn’t even considered for the first pick or not chosen in the top ten. If a white QB had Dwayne Haskens numbers the number one pick would not be a question. I hope Josh Allen succeeds, but his performance against top level competition in college was terrible. But I guess he had no one to throw too. The bottom line is the NFL expects Jackson and other minority’s QB’s to be athletic and uses that against them and focus on their intellectual capacity. So when you have athletic, white QB like Allen they just assume he has that intelligence to be an NFL quarterback. The fact that this KId went unstaffed when even Peterman was drafted and still in the league says it all. So please continue to talk bout the tape, and who look in control and ignore the obvious 

• Like (+1) 1

Two major areas of difference: mechanics and intangibles. 

Mechanically speaking, Allen's release is far superior to Jackson's. Fast, compact, and generates a ton of velocity. Jackson's long wind up delivery and release is just so much slower and those nanoseconds are that much more critical at the NFL level. 

In terms of intangibles, Allen's leadership jumps off the charts, both on and off the field. And he's worked his ass off to give himself the shot that he did. I'm not knocking Jackson's effort in that regard, but Allen overcame a lot more to get there, imo. 

Edited by K-9
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, mannc said:

This is a really good question and an excellent post.  IMO, no one has given a very convincing answer.  I have not seen Jackson play, so I can’t offer an opinion, but you’ve made a strong case that the two are pretty similar, at least on paper. Certainly nothing jumps out that should make one a potential first overall pick and another an UDFA.

Unfortunately, your legitimate question brought out some of the worst aspects of TSW:  over half the responses are either smart-ass non-answers or completely non-responsive.  And some of the responses, while honest, are unconvincing.  Josh’s “fighting spirit”?  Really?   The difference between the MAC and the WAC?  Please...  I’m sure there is a good answer to this question, but we haven’t seen it in this thread.

Read my answer above  

I’ve had seasons at UB since their coneback to D1 and have seen every snap of TJ3 career 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

I have watched every snap of Jacksons career...

he may be physically similar to Allen but their actual quarterbacking skills are not on par...

for starters... Allen has a super crisp and quick release..,

Jackson has a very noticeable elongation in his windup...

in the NFL that is the difference betweeen a TD and a pick 6...

Josh Allen also had experience in a very pro style offense... routinely played in a system that asked him to read the whole field from 3-5-7 step drops 

TJ played in a gimmicky spread offense... he did read the whole field... but NEVER worked under center... maybe 1%...

Jackson also was on a loaded UB offense and he struggled at times.. 

Josh may have struggled at times but he was on a dog**** Wyoming offense... he CARRIED THE TEAM

Jackson didn’t carry UB

Agree entirely. Had I read this first, I wouldn't have posted my own response.