RD 1, Pick 9: DT Ed Oliver, University of Houston

SDS

I think Oliver barely scratched the surface of his potential in college. He was playing nose tackle most of the time in Houston's 3-4. A 290 lb nose tackle taking on double and triple teams and still getting into the backfield. His build and skill set are far more suited to playing 3 tech in a 4-3 defense. Here is what football outsiders site had to say:

'In the NFL, Oliver will not be put in the same physically demanding positions he was at Houston. At Houston, he was often playing zero-tech -- a role designed for larger, squattier defensive lineman. It is safe to assume Oliver will primarily be a 3-technique in the NFL, just like the aforementioned Donald, Atkins, and McCoy. The 3-tech position is more conducive to leaner, more explosive players such as Oliver.

Because the NFL loves to make the same mistakes over and over again, Oliver will probably fall in the draft for being "too small for the position." For almost every team that passes on him, doing so will be a massive mistake. Oliver's first step and NFL-ready savvy will make him a Sheldon Richardson-type impact right away, with the potential to develop into an All-Pro. Though Oliver will certainly get pushed down in this draft class, his level of talent is worth the first overall pick.'

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/25/2019 at 9:27 PM, jkirchofer said:

Meh....he's a hell of a player, but honestly I would have rather had the dynamic offensive talent in Hockenson. 

Hes the better player than Hockenson.  In the words of Bruce Arians "You get fired if you draft for need".  You would get fired quick.

4 hours ago, PIZ said:

What do they mean when they say "Ed Oliver is impossible to block on the back side"?

Dont drop the soap.?

Sorry I couldnt resist.

Edited by formerlyofCtown

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Great read. Thanks for sharing Yolo.

If you’re looking for a stable (pun definitely intended) position to stick him in, look no further than a 4-3 front. Luckily for Oliver, a 3-technique position could very well be his home for the next decade or longer. Many scouts believe it to be what suits his strengths the best. The best circumstance would be joining a stout nose or 1-technique defensive tackle to complement Oliver’s aggressiveness. This sort of personnel would isolate Junior. Something he wasn’t used to in college.

Star Lotulelei? 

23 hours ago, BigEdFan said:

You obviously haven't seen his first game (true freshman) against Oklahoma and Baker Mayfield or Lamar Jackson or the Peach Bowl against Florida State . . .  before Applewhite took over ?

Not saying he won't have to adjust, he absolutely will, but his work ethic is ideal.  

Sure... Whatever you say... I'm OK with the pick... I'm just holding off anointing him greatest Bills DT ever... Let's see how he's used... Let's see if that knee stays healthy.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

I can't believe how lucky we are we got him. He's a true franchise centerpiece and a potential multiple All Pro. Three years in a row we've come away with an awesome defensive piece at every level of the defense. 

Yeah, I mean I'm kind of surprised at the lack of hype around this pick.  It's just perfect.  

• Like (+1) 1

Kawaan shorts sack numbers went down big time this past year and i wonder if that had to do with star being gone or with peppers finalyl showing his age?  Oliver is a much better prospect than short was at this time and short was putting up 10 sack years.  Man if oliver is putting up 10 sack years our defense is gonna be leading the league in sacks and looking like carolinas defense for years to come. I likey.