2019 Wonderlic scores/Bob McGinn

5 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Eh you may be right.

Some of us (myself included) probably need to stop opining that McBeane can’t afford to be taking risks - you’re probably more correct in saying that they can’t afford NOT to... 

Kearse is an interesting comp - freak was a great name for him - I remember him chasing down receivers 25 yards downfield, he played with his hair on fire when he came into the league.  If only Clowney had Kearse’s mentality...

But back to Metcalf, man I don’t see it. I see the explosiveness sure, but he is so stiff and has decent (at best) hands... if they’re focused on adding an explosive playmaker on offense why not take Hollywood Brown, he can take the top off of a defense and has shown legit production... Metcalf just doesn’t seem built for the modern game, to me.  But you’re right about the concept - a bunch of Jonah Williams or Christian Wilkins drafts will get you fired, ultimately, even if you get to join the Dick Jauron Genial Ex-Coach Alumni Group.

Right on re Jonah and Wilkins.........I think they will both be good but now is not the time to go Shaq and Ragnuts and try to patch up holes.   They already addressed "middling players" in free agency pretty heavy........now is the time to take it two notches up instead of one.

15 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Sure ya did.  No pic then it didn’t happen.

the hardest question was, "what's next in this sequence (put in a word please)"

Sunday Monday Tuesday ______________

for math the hardest question was "what is the average of 1, 2, and 6?"

basic 10 year old literal skills should get you up there

-------------------------------------------

For this test you require:

1)  barely a freshman high school reading and math level, and basic English language comprehension

2) the ability to put your mind into a concentration mode, because someone asked you to do it for them and it is necessary at the time

the 2nd skill is probably more important for sports and life in general, if you only had one of them to take to your adult life

Edited by row_33

7 hours ago, Avisan said:

They aren't particularly difficult questions, the majority of the difficulty comes from the time crunch and the wonkiness of some of the word association questions

For the most part it's like 7th grade level algebra with the equation setup packaged in a cute little paragraph with a red herring or two

Yeah I know, I’ve taken the full wonderlic before 

12 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

"Cordy Glenn cant play T in the NFL, he translates to G"

Buddy Nix before he stole Glenn in the second round to play LT.

Red Auerbach went to see Havlicek play one of his last games at tOSU

Red got up just after the second half began and made a face and gave the thumbs down sign as he left in front of every watching eye.

Probably did the same for a Larry Bird game during his junior season.

• Thank you (+1) 2

8 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Eh you may be right.

Some of us (myself included) probably need to stop opining that McBeane can’t afford to be taking risks - you’re probably more correct in saying that they can’t afford NOT to... 

Kearse is an interesting comp - freak was a great name for him - I remember him chasing down receivers 25 yards downfield, he played with his hair on fire when he came into the league.  If only Clowney had Kearse’s mentality...

But back to Metcalf, man I don’t see it. I see the explosiveness sure, but he is so stiff and has decent (at best) hands... if they’re focused on adding an explosive playmaker on offense why not take Hollywood Brown, he can take the top off of a defense and has shown legit production... Metcalf just doesn’t seem built for the modern game, to me.  But you’re right about the concept - a bunch of Jonah Williams or Christian Wilkins drafts will get you fired, ultimately, even if you get to join the Dick Jauron Genial Ex-Coach Alumni Group.

Hollywood is probably a slot in the NFL; very possibly a mismatch nightmare in the slot, but a slot nonetheless and Buffalo now has Beasley and possibly Zay in the slot. DK would be lining up at the X, where Buffalo doesn't currently have anyone that fits well. The foot injury and size concerns are both legitimate concerns with Hollywood too (granted the neck injury may be a concern for Metcalf as well).

13 hours ago, mcdamit said:

my nephew played with him in high school.  every one said he was a good team mate.  also said he was cocky and really wants to be a giant . 

he also told a funny story about the time during his freshaman year they let him play running back for one play.  He was so much bigger then everyone else he ran for 85 yards on his first carry.   

Now he has a torn labrum

2 hours ago, DCOrange said:

Hollywood is probably a slot in the NFL; very possibly a mismatch nightmare in the slot, but a slot nonetheless and Buffalo now has Beasley and possibly Zay in the slot. DK would be lining up at the X, where Buffalo doesn't currently have anyone that fits well. The foot injury and size concerns are both legitimate concerns with Hollywood too (granted the neck injury may be a concern for Metcalf as well).

Yeah he's such a small target too.   There isn't much room for error throwing to him and while I wish the accuracy/command of Brees/Brady on Josh Allen I am inclined to hedge against that and try to increase his odds of completing passes.;)  

A good deal of the Metcalf highlight grabs were throws that fall incomplete to Brown.........just overthrown balls that can change games that only a guy with DK's catch radius can get a hand on.    How many deep throws did we see just go out of the reach of Marquise Goodwin in his time in Buffalo?  

Metcalf checks the positional value box for me.    And he has the high ceiling to be a $15M+ per year not-available-in-free-agency type of player after his 4 year deal is up.   He also satisfies my "an NFL teams first priority should be to improve their QB play" mantra.    It's the surest way to win consistently and there isn't much subjective thought required to discern what THAT match of WR could do for a young, power armed QB who is still honing his accuracy.   It's a cheat code if it works right.    

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah he's such a small target too.   There isn't much room for error throwing to him and while I wish the accuracy/command of Brees/Brady on Josh Allen I am inclined to hedge against that and try to increase his odds of completing passes.;)  

A good deal of the Metcalf highlight grabs were throws that fall incomplete to Brown.........just overthrown balls that can change games that only a guy with DK's catch radius can get a hand on.    How many deep throws did we see just go out of the reach of Marquise Goodwin in his time in Buffalo?  

Metcalf checks the positional value box for me.    And he has the high ceiling to be a $15M+ per year not-available-in-free-agency type of player after his 4 year deal is up.   He also satisfies my "an NFL teams first priority should be to improve their QB play" mantra.    It's the surest way to win consistently and there isn't much subjective thought required to discern what THAT match of WR could do for a young, power armed QB who is still honing his accuracy.   It's a cheat code if it works right.    

Devil's advocate though: Hollywood was so good at creating separation in college...if he creates that same separation in the NFL, it increases the margin for error arguably as much as having a large catch radius does.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I go to bed at night thinking of Metcalf's first play of the game against Bama...

5 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Their first pick this year goes a long way toward seeing whether McD is still a conventional type coach and capable of adapting his approach to feature more offense.  I'm not the biggest DKM fan, but it would sure tell me he's not falling back on the safe decision, i.e. another OT or DT.  It would also indicate the HC knows that offense, specifically through Allen, is how they get to the playoffs.  Not stocking the defense with another 1st round pick. 

McD talked at the combine about needing to score 21 points per, which I take as his prepared reaction to criticism he's a defense first coach.  Picking DKM or another offensive skill position player puts something behind that talk.  Still, I need to see them make personnel moves beyond medium grade offensive players before I believe McD has adapted to the modern game.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

Their first pick this year goes a long way toward seeing whether McD is still a conventional type coach and capable of adapting his approach to feature more offense.  I'm not the biggest DKM fan, but it would sure tell me he's not falling back on the safe decision, i.e. another OT or DT.  It would also indicate the HC knows that offense, specifically through Allen, is how they get to the playoffs.  Not stocking the defense with another 1st round pick. 

McD talked at the combine about needing to score 21 points per, which I take as his prepared reaction to criticism he's a defense first coach.  Picking DKM or another offensive skill position player puts something behind that talk.  Still, I need to see them make personnel moves beyond medium grade offensive players before I believe McD has adapted to the modern game.

Good stuff.

13 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Devil's advocate though: Hollywood was so good at creating separation in college...if he creates that same separation in the NFL, it increases the margin for error arguably as much as having a large catch radius does.

With all due respect to Josh I don't necessarily expect the same touch/accuracy as Mayfield and Murray showed in that system at Oklahoma.    Allen played well and occasionally makes incredible throws(the pylon TD in the preseason was a throw that maybe only he, Aaron Rodgers and Mahomes can even hope to make).   

For Brown......wide open or not.......if the throw is 3 yards off the mark he's not going to get it.  Metcalf might.  Cee Dee Lamb might too........but that's a story for another draft and hopefully they won't be drafting early enough to get him.:thumbsup:

Plus Metcalf is a potential redzone force.    That's less certain because a big guy comp like Julio Jones really isn't all that good in the redzone.    But DJ has made some notable plays.   As I mentioned he took Lonnie Johnson Jr. for 6 on a jump ball and some think LJJ is going to be a great pro.

23 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

It depends on what value is on the board at the time...

19 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

Agreed.

The fundamental difference between Jauron Ball and Marty Ball is a respect for the value of talent.

Didn't result in titles for Marty.......but it's no mistake that he had loaded rosters in Cleveland, KC and SD.........he understood that forming culture was his job first and that he needed to let his GM give him players to allow his style to work.    Sometimes that short changed the talent in big games.......but more often than not he really just lost to the better QB.......for which there is less shame.

Bill Cowher eventually turned Marty Ball into a SB trophy when he got Roethlisberger and they rode that residual to another title and a SB trip when Tomlin took over.

Notably all on Belichick's watch.     It can be done. 

1 hour ago, Reed83HOF said:

It depends on what value is on the board at the time...

I'm a firm believer in a team not falling back on letting the draft come to then.  In fact, McBeane have moved up or down for each of the 5 players picked in rounds 1-2  in '17 and '18. 

If they're not happy with what's available at 9, I'm sure they've war-gamed strategies and made calls about moving down.