Sign in to follow this  
Kirby Jackson

Chris Hogan makes a stop in Charlotte prior to Canton

11 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I think it boils down to this:  many Bills fans think any "good," player on the Bills is "awesome."  It's like thinking a 9 win season and a pathetic showing in a playoff game was "successful."  Standards are VERY low around here, which is why people thought losing Mr. "7-11," was catastrophic.

Getting to the playoffs in your first year of a regime change, total scheme change, and with a team that hasn't been to the playoffs in 17 seasons IS successful.

Pretty obvious that the goal is to win the championship and anything less than that isn't good enough, but those were promising year 1 results. In my opinion breaking the drought was important and key to developing this team with a focus on future success.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

season high in NE was only ever 680 and if you come on this board the last couple years you would have thought we let a first ballot wr walk..... never understood the hype.

didn't he break a record in catches or something in the playoffs? 

Chris Hogan Breaks Patriots Record For Most Receiving ...

2 minutes ago, MJS said:

Getting to the playoffs in your first year of a regime change, total scheme change, and with a team that hasn't been to the playoffs in 17 seasons IS successful.

Pretty obvious that the goal is to win the championship and anything less than that isn't good enough, but those were promising year 1 results. In my opinion breaking the drought was important and key to developing this team with a focus on future success.

I was just busting @Stank_Nasty's balls.  I cried real tears when Cincinnati got the Bills into the playoffs.

1 minute ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

didn't he break a record in catches or something in the playoffs? 

his first season there he went off and had 9 for 180 in the afc title game and a large chunk of fans and national media crucified the bills for letting him walk for about a full year after that.

"even a blind squirrel....."

41 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

season high in NE was only ever 680 and if you come on this board the last couple years you would have thought we let a first ballot wr walk..... never understood the hype.

Hogan is a solid WR3.

• Like (+1) 2

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, MJS said:

that was a calculated strike against yours truly...… I've been clenching my *** cheeks the last 10 minutes trying not to respond to it directly.

Just now, formerlyofCtown said:

Hogan is a solid WR3.

right. ok.

Edited by Stank_Nasty

6 minutes ago, MJS said:

Dont mind him I think he has "Get off my lawn" issues.  

2 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

that was a calculated strike against yours truly...… I've been clenching my *** cheeks the last 10 minutes trying not to respond to it directly.

right. ok.

Oh is a WR3 supposed to put up HOF numbers.

49 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

...so does that mean he'll be here next year?.............

• Haha (+1) 2

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Dont mind him I think he has "Get off my lawn" issues.  

Oh is a WR3 supposed to put up HOF numbers.

uh no.... where exactly is the miscommunication here?

I've basically said he was overhyped by the fans and media after a big playoff game and pedestrian regular seasons.... if somebody wants to say he's a solid #3 i'm cool with that. wheres the issue? and how did you get the bolded from what I responded to you with? I was agreeing. I think maybe you thought I was being sarcastic?

Edited by Stank_Nasty

1 minute ago, Stank_Nasty said:

uh no.... where exactly is the miscommunication here?

I've basically said he was overhyped by the fans and media after a big playoff game and pedestrian regular seasons.... if somebody wants to say he's a solid #3 i'm cool with that. wheres the issue? and how did you get that from what i'm saying?

Sorry took it as sarcasm.

Just now, formerlyofCtown said:

Sorry took it as sarcasm.

ya. I read it back and thought that could have happened. 

I was agreeing. 

1 hour ago, MJS said:

That's simply not true. Hogan had a cult of pissed off followers that continually bashed the Bills for letting him go.

He was never "hyped" "as though we had let a first ballot wr walk".  THAT's simply not how it went.

55 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Imo, the posters who supported him hated Whaley.  It wasn’t that we let him go.  It was HOW we let him go.  That we didn’t tender him properly.

I'll agree with this.

• Like (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, MJS said:

That's simply not true. Hogan had a cult of pissed off followers that continually bashed the Bills for letting him go.

Bashing the Bills for letting him go is hardly "you would have thought we let a first ballot wr walk," as said above, or the snideness of "prior to Canton" in the headline. 

And that's the kind of stuff that always gets said, never by folks who like Hogan. Always by people making fun of the folks who criticized the Hogan cut. If anything it proves the original point. The actual criticism was extremely reasonable. That's why the folks who didn't like it even to this day have to wildly exaggerate what was actually said.

Whaley cut Hogan largely because he'd been such a spendthrift that we were in cap trouble despite being a team that was at best mediocre. We were in such crap shape that they could give Hogan only a minimum salary one year tender. Whaley tried to keep him, and couldn't. And the cheap-ass Pats gave him $4 mill a year over three years, and structured the contract to stop Buffalo from matching.

"The Patriots signed Hogan to a three-year, $12 million offer sheet that will have a high amount of guaranteed money. ESPN's Adam Schefter reported that the three-year offer sheet will feature a $5.5 million salary cap hit for the 2016 season. With a $5.5 million cap hit for the upcoming season, the Bills would have been left with under $1 million in current cap space -- making their ability to match the offer sheet highly unlikely. The Bills chose to use the lowest possible tender on Hogan, which gave them a cap hit of $1.671 million, and in doing so they only assured themselves the right of first refusal for the wide receiver. The Bills did not match the offer sheet, and because it's the lowest tender, they will receive no draft pick compensation from New England."

https://www.wkbw.com/sports/bills/bills-decline-offer-hogan-headed-to-patriots

Incompetence, poor cap handling, tendering him for less than half of what he eventually got per year and being outsmarted and outmaneuvered by Belichick. Of course we were pissed. Rightly so.

You didn't have to think Hogan was Megatron to think the Bills *****ed that up. Hell, you didn't have to think Hogan was an above average #3 receiver. He'd been the 3rd most productive WR on the Bills. During his first year with the Patriots, we brought in Percy Harvin for $6 mill and got nothing. Woods was our most productive WR with 613 yards, Watkins and Goodwin were #2 and #3 with 430 and 431 yards. But yeah, we had all the receivers we needed. Justin Hunter was our #4 with 189. And Hogan got 680 on 58 targets and 38 catches in NE, and that would have made him the most productive on our team.

People were pissed because how it happened was utterly stupid, because they could have had him for a lot less than Belichick - a fairly smart cookie, they say -ended up paying him, and because he was a decent player replaced by guys who weren't as good. It was a move that sucked.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

1 hour ago, MJS said:

This isn't actually true.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Nah.  It's more accurate to say that posters who were down on Hogan were railing against "the hype"....that really never existed.

Posters who supported keeping him here noted the WR corps as it was, was slim.  Simple.

No need to manufacture "hype" to rail against it.

Was it his fault that he didn't have a decent QB throwing him the ball?

Hogan wasn't a great receiver but a player of his caliber is useful. He certainly wasn't a bad player.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

his first season there he went off and had 9 for 180 in the afc title game and a large chunk of fans and national media crucified the bills for letting him walk for about a full year after that.

"even a blind squirrel....."

He had 34 receptions for 542 yards and 4 TDs in 9 postseason games, which is very solid. He's also a very good blocker. He played more offensive snaps than any other Patriots player aside from Brady and the o-line in the SB against the Falcons -- a massive 97 snaps, which is like two games for most players -- and his block on the game-tying 2 pt conversion to get Amendola into the end zone was textbook and play-deciding. He also played more snaps than any other players besides Brady, Gronk, and the o-line in the next SB (93 percent) - a game that the Pats shattered the record for offensive yardage.

He's basically a JAG as a receiver, but the reason he played so many snaps is that he does all the other things well in what is a very complex and multi-faceted offense.  

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Was it his fault that he didn't have a decent QB throwing him the ball?

Hogan wasn't a great receiver but a player of his caliber is useful. He certainly wasn't a bad player.

Look how bad Zay Jones was with Tyrod throwing him the ball   

[ducking for cover]  

Just now, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

beat me to it!

See above. NE runs a very complex offense and he does a lot of the other stuff extremely well. He is a JAG as a receiver (admittedly, his primary duty), but the other stuff matters more than most think. 

• Like (+1) 1

Amazing that this JAG keeps collecting checks....  I guess NFL teams aren't as smart as this board.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

See above. NE runs a very complex offense and he does a lot of the other stuff extremely well. He is a JAG as a receiver (admittedly, his primary duty), but the other stuff matters more than most think. 

even here, I was never really too impressed. good for him, he landed another job.