2 picks in the first seems like a given to me...

There is nothing i would put past Beane i thought Whaley liked to wheel & deal which he did but usually he did it at a lose but Beane (to this point) seems to know exactly who they want, where they want them & how they are going to get there to get them & for the most part comes away with more rather than less !!

Which is part of the reason why when that recent article came to be about the NFL exec that couldn't understand what Beane was doing & didn't see a plan just blew me away because most of all he does is very calculated almost to the point of being sinister ?

4 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Great analysis, Shaw, as usual.

So, in way I guess we are looking for those guys at a position of need for the Bills in the 20s which talent at that position drops of precipitously after that guy is drafted.

I think that's right.   Beane wants the guy who, in their rankings, stands apart from everyone else, and especially apart from the guys who play that position.   When he see one of those,he'll trade up.   If he sees a bunch of receivers clustered on his board and his pick is coming, he's more likely to trade back.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, T master said:

There is nothing i would put past Beane i thought Whaley liked to wheel & deal which he did but usually he did it at a lose but Beane (to this point) seems to know exactly who they want, where they want them & how they are going to get there to get them & for the most part comes away with more rather than less !!

Which is part of the reason why when that recent article came to be about the NFL exec that couldn't understand what Beane was doing & didn't see a plan just blew me away because most of all he does is very calculated almost to the point of being sinister ?

Well, I didn't see the article, and I think it's pretty hard NOT to understand what Beane is doing.   He's been consistently up front about it. 

However, GMs certainly don't always agree on how to evaluate talent.   The Bills are very focused on talent, but their focus is fixed on character issues.   Some other teams probably don't evaluate players in the same way.   So I can see a GM scratching his head about guys the Bills passed up, because another GM who rates physical ability highly and puts less emphasis on what McBeane value will see the Bills passing on what the other GM thinks is a star.  

This is the year we begin to see if McDermott's character-first approach translates into wins.  

I don't really bye the OP's take on this. If the Bills stay at 9, I can't see it happening.  No one is going to accept a bunch of late round picks for that move(from our perspective sounds great....not so much for a trade partner).  However, if there is a trade down that gives us another 2nd, then yea, I can see a move up into the 1st using one of the 2nds to get there along with a later pick. I also don't like the idea of waiting 2-3 rounds mid draft to be able to pick again.

I think if we trade down first, the chances of getting 2 1st rounders is very likely.  I also think it's pretty likely we bundle some late rounders to move up. We don't need 10 picks, but we also don't want to be waiting 3 rounds before our next pick is up.  Have to be flexible if our overall draft is going to be a success.

On 4/8/2019 at 8:00 AM, Hebert19 said:

Whether Beane trades down or stays put I can see him bundling some picks to move back into the end of the first to nail his 2nd must have.   With the depth on defense in this draft there will still be huge difference makers available late first early second so it will warrant the move.  

Preference is trade back get Hock, trade up with the extra second or 3rd and get best DT/edge available.  Draft OT, LB and RB with whatever is left.  We have enough duct tape on this oline to justify grabbing your franchise tackle next year and not this year.  Just my take. 

per the Old" draft pick chart, Bills 2nd + 3rd (720 points) = a later 1st (26-32),so yeah, Bills could afford it. At this point, with  70 guys already on the  roster, 10 picks doesn't seem "necessary" but they have  value; whether you keep  them ,trade up,trade down, or trade for future picks. Speaking of Hockenson; some mocks have him going as early as #8...possible Bills miss out (assuming they want him) if they trade down?

I don’t see anything as a given right now......it all depends upon how things shake out around us. Have to wait and see, remain nimble. (Which brings Ghostbusters to mind, but.......I digress.) 

2 hours ago, Rockinon said:

I don't really bye the OP's take on this. If the Bills stay at 9, I can't see it happening.  No one is going to accept a bunch of late round picks for that move(from our perspective sounds great....not so much for a trade partner).  However, if there is a trade down that gives us another 2nd, then yea, I can see a move up into the 1st using one of the 2nds to get there along with a later pick. I also don't like the idea of waiting 2-3 rounds mid draft to be able to pick again.

I think if we trade down first, the chances of getting 2 1st rounders is very likely.  I also think it's pretty likely we bundle some late rounders to move up. We don't need 10 picks, but we also don't want to be waiting 3 rounds before our next pick is up.  Have to be flexible if our overall draft is going to be a success.

Agree, these late round picks get you little of anything,  Would the Bills like to go from 10 picks to 6 or 7 good picks sure, but hard to do with the picks they have now.They could trade their 2nd 3rd  to get to the bottom of the 1st, but overall I wouldn't be all that happy with that move as the team needs more than two high quality players.   Trading down could give you an extra 2nd and maybe even another 4th.  Then could trade all your 4ths to get back into the bottom half of the 3rd. That wouldn't be too bad then with two firsts and two thirds.  Maybe two fifths and the sixth could even get you a bottom 4th back too.   Maybe could even get a 4th rounder for Zay Jones??

On 4/8/2019 at 8:45 AM, FeelingOnYouboty said:

I can see it happening as well. We have too many picks and not enough roster spots. 

Sneaky suspicion the guy they're targeting is Jerry Tillery.

well if they trade down a few spots and do get tillery.....he was like ? no. 4 on chris simms's top 7 dt?  6'6" will be pushing 290 with an attitude....i'm thinking he and harry know each other. then get zach allen or trade back into the 1st and grab a sliding clelin ferrell?  idk, my head is constantly dreaming crap up....next tuesday can't get here soon enough.

to all you rochester fans...where should i go to make sure i can be around fans and not have the old lady poo-poo the night up? btw. i'm a westsider.

11 hours ago, Bring it said:

I like where we are at 9! At least, we can end up with a big improvement in the trenches or at lb! 9 seems early to take Hock but how long do you wait? He’s the best all around nfl ready TE. Maybe we can get back into the first round but not too much later.

Can’t wait!!!

If Hock is the target,  he'll be long gone by 15.  Obviously everything depends on finding a trade down partner who needs a qb. If you could somehow land TJH in the mid 1st and trade back up in the late 1st for Tillery or Dexter L. that would be huge. Not a fan of picking Metcalf anywhere in the 1st. They'll be wrs available later....

10 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

If Hock is the target,  he'll be long gone by 15.  Obviously everything depends on finding a trade down partner who needs a qb. If you could somehow land TJH in the mid 1st and trade back up in the late 1st for Tillery or Dexter L. that would be huge. Not a fan of picking Metcalf anywhere in the 1st. They'll be wrs available later....

You’re probably right on with Hock. It seems strange to be looking at a TE at 9 but in today’s situation with college tight ends it’s necessary if you want an all around complete player! I’ll be happy as long as we get great talent somewhere!

3 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Agree, these late round picks get you little of anything,  Would the Bills like to go from 10 picks to 6 or 7 good picks sure, but hard to do with the picks they have now.They could trade their 2nd 3rd  to get to the bottom of the 1st, but overall I wouldn't be all that happy with that move as the team needs more than two high quality players.   Trading down could give you an extra 2nd and maybe even another 4th.  Then could trade all your 4ths to get back into the bottom half of the 3rd. That wouldn't be too bad then with two firsts and two thirds.  Maybe two fifths and the sixth could even get you a bottom 4th back too.   Maybe could even get a 4th rounder for Zay Jones??

I don't get into these detailed discussions of this for that, but you raise an interesting point.  There could be a trade back from 9 and a several trades packaging the day 3 picks.  Bills could end up with a late first rounder and about 5 picks in the second third and fourth.  I'd be good with that. 

But that's all dreaming.  If they like what they see at 9 there will be no trade. 

4 minutes ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

To me, he looks skinny. 2" taller, each arm 1" longer, different body frame type.

Jadeveon Clowney measured 6’5” and 266 lbs at the combine with 34 1/2” arms. Ferrell measured 6’4” and 264lbs with 34 1/8” arms. Ferrell’s measurements aren’t a problem.

• Like (+1) 1