Zerovoltz Draft Analysis

On 4/8/2019 at 5:57 AM, Zerovoltz said:

Yes, Grier.

I can certainly understand this view.....Having Kyle Williams retire means there is a spot and need for someone like Ed Oliver...and that would certainly make a ton of sense.  I went with Hockenson because I think your coaching staff knows their D is solid...they need to get Allen all the support they can...because the coach and GM's jobs depend on Allen failing or succeeding....not if the D is ranked 5th or 15th.  Given that everyones future success or failure is riding on Allens arm....I figure the choice is Hockensen.

That is a good perspective.  The question is do they go WR or TE or LT. 

• Like (+1) 1

Here is my first AND LAST Mock Draft.  I don't like these much...too many variables involved to make anything close to a reasonable predictions....and since the nature of these is that most of it looks wrong and silly 10 picks in or less....these make me look bad!  But....anyone who does these typically look bad also....so here is my best attempt at only looking marginally stupid.  Again...putting this here in this one thread, so easily referred to later.

Mock Draft

1.       Arizona Cardinals             Kyler Murray      QB         

Arizona gets the one QB in this draft class that projects out to a possible generational talent

2.       San Francisco 49ers         Quinnen Williams             DL

The 49ers go best player available here and get Williams to bolster the interior D line. 

3.       New York Jets                   Ed Oliver              DL

The first big surprise of the draft, the Jets don’t take an edge rusher and instead opt for Oliver, a favorite of new D coordinator Gregg Williams

4.       Oakland Raiders               Josh Allen            Edge

The Raiders were dead last in sacks with 13.  There is nowhere to go but up and this pick should help

5.       Tampa Bay Buccaneers  Montez Sweat  Edge

The Buccs will strongly consider Devin White here, but ultimately can not pass up Sweat, whose heart condition makes him a gamble, but who is otherwise a bonifide grade A prospect.

6.       New York Giatns              Rashan Gary       Edge

No!  They aren’t taking a QB here!  This QB class is garbage after Murray, and Dave Gettleman wants to prove all his critics wrong about his team building philosophy.  Gettleman gets his defense a pass rusher here that is in line with his style

7.       Jacksonville Jaguars        Jawaan Taylor    OT

The Jags, on top of being a fairly conservative team on draft day, with an old school team president and philosophy, also have a tendancy to draft local products.  Taylor fits that, plus he fills a huge need.

8.       Detroit Lions                      Nick Bosa             Edge

The Lions are ecstatic that a prospect as well regarded as Bosa falls all the way to 8 for them!  In typical Lions fashion, Bosa goes on to be a bust.

9.       Buffalo Bills                         T.J. Hockenson  TE

The first skill position player off the board isn’t a WR or RB…but a TE.  The success or failure of the Bills rides on QB Josh Allen…and the Bills don’t have anything close to resembling a threat at TE.  Hockenson gives them a day 1 starter and major target for Allen

10.   Denver Broncos                                Devin White       LB

The Broncos ARE NOT TAKING A QB! (at least not high in this draft)  They hired an old D minded coach, and traded for the QB the coach asked for.  Elway and Fangio have both made clear that Flacco IS the plan, not a bridge.  Broncos get the ILB that Fangio craves to make his D run at peak levels.

11.   Cincinnatti Bengals          Dwayne Haskins               QB

The third surprise of the draft after Oliver goes early and Bosa falls…is Haskins going here to the Bengals.  New Offensive minded HC.  Dalton wasn’t extended and can be cut anytime with no dead money.  The Bengals also need a spark for the fans and what better way to do that than draft a Buckeye QB? 

12.   Green Bay Packers          Jonah Williams  OT

The Packers will be looking to trade out of this spot, but won’t find any takers.  (that’s right…Drew Lock is STILL on the board and no one is coming up here for him)  The Packers generally like to take lineman early as opposed to skill position players and Williams is the pick here.

13.   Miami Dolphins                 Brian Burns         Edge

Many will be surprised that the seemingly QB needy Dolphins don’t go QB here….DREW LOCK is on the board!!! They are content to blow up their roster this year and eat cap space while rebuilding.  They aren’t drafting a marginal QB prospect to sit when they need players.  They go with local product Burns and will push the QB decision down the road when better prospects come along.

14.   Atlanta Falcons Christian Wilkins               IDL

The Falcons will be staring at the phone hoping it will ring with someone on the other end wanting to move up ahead of the Redskins for a QB.  No one does.  The Falcons take Wilkins as BPA on their board.

15.   Washington Redskins     Marquise Brown              WR

Wait…what?  NO QB HERE!!!!  That’s right…the Redskins front office and coaching staff are on the hot seat to win now.  They aren’t going to be afforded the luxury of taking a marginal QB prospect who will sit.  They instead get an electric playmaker to help right away.

16.   Carolina Panthers            Cody Ford           OT

The Panthers could do any number of things here, and with no trade partner, they opt to beef up the O-line with a mild surprise here with Ford.

17.   New York Giants              Andre Dillard      OT

WHAT!!!!! STILL NOT A QB?!!  Gettleman isn’t swallowing his pride and he has a big grin on his face as he gets his “top OT on my board” Dillard.  Gettleman is going to out-Line everyone in the NFL!

18.   Minnesota Vikings           Greedy Williams               CB

The Vikings don’t really need a CB, but in todays NFL, can you ever really have enough of them?  No one wants to move up here and so the Vikings go BPA on their board and take Williams

19.   Tennessee Titans             Noah Fant           TE

The Titans aren’t quite ready to give up on Marcus Mariotta just yet, and certainly aren’t giving up on him picking 19th with this QB class.  The Titans have a need for a dynamic receiving TE and get their man here in Fant.

20.   Pittsburg Steelers            Devin Bush         LB

I could see the Steelers going with a CB here, but they stick with their board and go Bush who fills a need as well.

21.   Seattle Seahawks            Byron Murphy   CB

The Seahawks are pleased when BPA on their board and local product Murphy falls in their lap here.

22.   Baltimore Ravens             DK Metcalf          WR

The Ravens WR group may well be the weakest in the NFL, and giving scattershot QB Jackson a BIG TALL FAST target to sling the ball toward is not a bad way to go.  Gives the Ravens and Jackson a legit threat in the red zone or to go deep.

23.   Houston Texans                               Johnathan Abram            S

The Texans have a number of holes to consider filling here.  They also could use help at offensive line but the top safety on their board and in this class is available to them here and having lost out on the Honey Badger, fill that hole with Abram.

24.   Oakland Raiders               DeAndre Baker CB

The Raiders can go BPA at just about any point and find someone they have a spot for and who can start.  Baker fits that here.  Some have him as the 1st or 2nd best CB in this class.

25.   Philadelphia Eagles          Nasir Adderley  S

Philly gets their man out of their own backyard to fill a position of need by taking fast rising Adderley.

26.   Indianapolis Colts             Jerry Tillery         IDL

The Colts get another Notre Dame product for the line at a position of need for a team that needs more push in the pass rush.

27.   Oakland Raiders               A.J. Brown          WR

The Raiders end up with TWO A.Browns at WR as they take the Mississippi product here.  Again, the Raiders are needy everywhere and go BPA.

28.   Los Angeles Chargers     Dexter Lawrence             IDL

The Chargers have one of the deeper rosters in the league and in this deep draft, land a big talent here in Lawrence.

29.   Kansas City         Garrett Bradbury             C

KC will explore trading out of the first round hoping for one of the QB needy teams who passed earlier, to come up for Drew Lock.  No dice.  KC stays put and selects Bradbury who will start at C from day 1.

30.   Green Bay           Chauncy Gardner-Johnson          S

Like KC, The Packers will listen in vain for a trade partner wanting Drew Lock or some other QB.  The call won’t come.  They take a safety to fill a hole.

31.   Los Angeles Rams            Clelin Ferrell       Edge

The Rams roster is in flux due to the cap catching up to them.  They need to have reinforcements ready to go. 

32.   New England Patriots     Rock Ya-Sin

The Patriots, hoping that the Broncos, Dolphins or Giants actually want one of these garbage QB try and use the force to make the phone ring.  Belichick can’t quite conjure up the power needed to make it happen.  The Patriots stay put and draft Rock Ya-Sin…the Pats are always looking for good DB and they get one here.

On 4/7/2019 at 8:38 PM, Shaw66 said:

Thanks. That's interesting analysis.

Bill's will take BPA, whatever position he plays. 

So if a QB slips to Buffalo and is ranked in the top 9 Buffalo will draft him??

interesting

7 hours ago, HOUSE said:

interesting

Wow!!!  That never ever occurred to me.  That's really original.  Thanks for the insight. 

Okay, so now that you've caught on that the QB is the one exception, just as running back is the one exception for the Giants, Beane is going BPA in round one.  

Again...adding to keep all my draft prognostications in one spot.

Todays thought.

the Raiders aren't going to do anything special at 4.  Why announce it?  What the Raiders really want is to draw any team interested in Haskins, into a deal up to 2 or 3 ahead of them...Haskins goes off the board, and that gives the Raiders one more of the elite defenders to choose from....quite possibly They are looking at Quinnen Williams...and to get the Niners off of him....they need someone to come up for Haskins.  It won't work.  No one is coming up.  Niners take williams.  Jets go with Oliver.  The Raiders take Josh Allen...the pass rusher Josh Allen.  

....and my Mock already gets one demerit for KC trading out of round 1 in the Frank Clark deal.  

I'm also not feeling good about having Montez Sweat at 5......that may end up looking really bad.

5 minutes ago, Zerovoltz said:

Todays thought.

the Raiders aren't going to do anything special at 4.  Why announce it?  What the Raiders really want is to draw any team interested in Haskins, into a deal up to 2 or 3 ahead of them...Haskins goes off the board, and that gives the Raiders one more of the elite defenders to choose from....quite possibly They are looking at Quinnen Williams...and to get the Niners off of him....they need someone to come up for Haskins.  It won't work.  No one is coming up.  Niners take williams.  Jets go with Oliver.  The Raiders take Josh Allen...the pass rusher Josh Allen.  

....and my Mock already gets one demerit for KC trading out of round 1 in the Frank Clark deal.  

I'm also not feeling good about having Montez Sweat at 5......that may end up looking really bad.

Serious question???

do you post at other AFCE message boards or NFL boards besides Chiefs? Or are you strictly at this Bills message board for a reason

2 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Serious question???

do you post at other AFCE message boards or NFL boards besides Chiefs? Or are you strictly at this Bills message board for a reason

I occaisionally post at Jetsnation.com but not very often at all.  I very frequently post on Orangemane.com  ...a Broncos fansite...  I am heavily involved over there...play in a couple of their fantasy leauges...and I troll them HARD.  

I came here after the Mahomes trade to kind of see how things would go on this side of the trade....and I've ended up liking it here...good group....lots of high quality posters here.  I've kind of adopted the Bills as something of a second team....really enjoy watching you guys....and even though my mind says no...I am rooting for Josh Allen...I like him.  He's fun to watch...he IS athletic and compelling.  

Also....before it comes up for the millionth time.  I am not Jeffismagic.

On 4/22/2019 at 1:29 AM, HOUSE said:

interesting

And which QB would be ranked in the top 9?

51 minutes ago, Zerovoltz said:

Todays thought.

Not as bad as projecting Bosa at #8.

40 minutes ago, Zerovoltz said:

I occaisionally post at Jetsnation.com but not very often at all.  I very frequently post on Orangemane.com  ...a Broncos fansite...  I am heavily involved over there...play in a couple of their fantasy leauges...and I troll them HARD.  

I came here after the Mahomes trade to kind of see how things would go on this side of the trade....and I've ended up liking it here...good group....lots of high quality posters here.  I've kind of adopted the Bills as something of a second team....really enjoy watching you guys....and even though my mind says no...I am rooting for Josh Allen...I like him.  He's fun to watch...he IS athletic and compelling.  

Also....before it comes up for the millionth time.  I am not Jeffismagic.

I haven’t been the most welcoming honestly and I apologize 

i am glad you like it here

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I haven’t been the most welcoming honestly and I apologize 

i am glad you like it here

Eh....dont' feel bad about anything.....there are plenty of times when I post here and it's not exactly the kind of stuff that would endear me to anyone around here.  Some of my early Mahomes stuff was borderline douchebaggery.  The folks here have won me over....rooting for the Bills anytime they aren't playing KC.  Even went on NFLshop.com a few days ago and bought a Bills jersey for my 10 year old.  (admittedly, it is an EJ Manual jersey, but a Nike Jersey for 8 bucks brand new is hard to beat.)  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Zerovoltz said:

Eh....dont' feel bad about anything.....there are plenty of times when I post here and it's not exactly the kind of stuff that would endear me to anyone around here.  Some of my early Mahomes stuff was borderline douchebaggery.  The folks here have won me over....rooting for the Bills anytime they aren't playing KC.  Even went on NFLshop.com a few days ago and bought a Bills jersey for my 10 year old.  (admittedly, it is an EJ Manual jersey, but a Nike Jersey for 8 bucks brand new is hard to beat.)  

Awesome man!

thats a great deal regardless of player! Im still stuck with all those Cousineau jerseys I bought in 79 thinking we hit it big ???

On 4/7/2019 at 8:02 PM, Zerovoltz said:

My thoughts on this draft.

1.  This a ONE QB draft.  Kyler Murray is it.  (it could be 2 IF Grier ends up in a good spot)  I love Murray and I like Grier.  The rest of the QB's in this class are garbage.  Grier would need to land in a place like Cincinnatti where he'd have a chance to supplant the starter in order for this to become a two QB class.  Unfortunately for Grier, I get the impression that a team like Indy or Carolina would take him and he'll ride the bench behind a well established starter.

2.  This draft has a TON of DL blue chip prospects at the top. 

3.  Combine the idea here that it's a one QB draft, and that the blue chips will be available into the 20's and that means your going to have a draft with little or no trading at the top.  With no QB to go up for, none of the teams like Washington or Miami will be inclined to pay a price to move up for the 2nd QB in this draft who is probably every bit as good (or bad as the case may be) as the 8th QB.  Also, if you can get a Blue chip defender at 20, why trade up to 8, 9 etc?  The market conditions aren't going to be there for teams to want to pay to move up.  

4.  This all means the Bills and others up at the top will be staying put and making a selection.  And so, with the 9th pick in the 2019 NFL Draft, the Buffalo Bills select TJ Hockensen, TE, Iowa.  My thought here is the Bills believe in their defense and their scheme.  By getting involved in an attempt to trade for Antonio Brown, the front office has shown they are all in on getting Josh Allen weaponry.  The Bills do not have a weapon at TE on their roster.  Hockensen would start from day 1 and make an immedeate impact.

5.  The Giants won't take a QB in round 1.  The Broncos won't take a QB in round 1.  The Dolphins won't take a QB in round 1.  The Redskins won't take a QB in round 1 (because I think they will be trading their pick to Arizona for Rosen)  In fact, after Murray, the other QB's are going to slide down the board....again, based on my assesment that these QB's suck, coupled with the blue chippers into the 20's...no reason to draft a flawed QB high when you can get the same flawed guy in round 4.  I wouldn't be entirely surprised at all if only Murray goes in round 1.

6.  Round 2 will see several WR that will prove to be good value selections.

Yes, I know you all don't care for the Chiefs fans perspective, but this is high quality analysis and I provide it for free. :D

Yes I agree.  Your assessment sucks

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/7/2019 at 8:02 PM, Zerovoltz said:

1.  This a ONE QB draft.  Kyler Murray is it.  (it could be 2 IF Grier ends up in a good spot)  I love Murray and I like Grier.  The rest of the QB's in this class are garbage.  Grier would need to land in a place like Cincinnatti where he'd have a chance to supplant the starter in order for this to become a two QB class.  Unfortunately for Grier, I get the impression that a team like Indy or Carolina would take him and he'll ride the bench behind a well established starter.

3.  Combine the idea here that it's a one QB draft, and that the blue chips will be available into the 20's and that means your going to have a draft with little or no trading at the top.  With no QB to go up for, none of the teams like Washington or Miami will be inclined to pay a price to move up for the 2nd QB in this draft who is probably every bit as good (or bad as the case may be) as the 8th QB.  Also, if you can get a Blue chip defender at 20, why trade up to 8, 9 etc?  The market conditions aren't going to be there for teams to want to pay to move up.  

4.  This all means the Bills and others up at the top will be staying put and making a selection.  And so, with the 9th pick in the 2019 NFL Draft, the Buffalo Bills select TJ Hockensen, TE, Iowa.  My thought here is the Bills believe in their defense and their scheme.  By getting involved in an attempt to trade for Antonio Brown, the front office has shown they are all in on getting Josh Allen weaponry.  The Bills do not have a weapon at TE on their roster.  Hockensen would start from day 1 and make an immedeate impact.

5.  The Giants won't take a QB in round 1.  The Broncos won't take a QB in round 1.  The Dolphins won't take a QB in round 1.  The Redskins won't take a QB in round 1 (because I think they will be trading their pick to Arizona for Rosen)  In fact, after Murray, the other QB's are going to slide down the board....again, based on my assesment that these QB's suck, coupled with the blue chippers into the 20's...no reason to draft a flawed QB high when you can get the same flawed guy in round 4.  I wouldn't be entirely surprised at all if only Murray goes in round 1.

Yes, I know you all don't care for the Chiefs fans perspective, but this is high quality analysis and I provide it for free. :D

Love the Hock pick and would also nab Isabella in the 2nd.

7 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Yes I agree.  Your assessment sucks

Just wondering, which part sucks?  The only assessment that has a chance to be wrong is the QBs being selected in rd one.  There may be 1-4 selected.  Imo there should only be 1-2.  More towards 1.  

What else is off base?

11 hours ago, NewEra said:

Just wondering, which part sucks?  The only assessment that has a chance to be wrong is the QBs being selected in rd one.  There may be 1-4 selected.  Imo there should only be 1-2.  More towards 1.  

What else is off base?

Just the QB assessment.  I couldnt resist being a smart ass though If I remember correctly most of it is probably close to accurate.

On 4/7/2019 at 7:02 PM, Zerovoltz said:

Not bad,  turned out pretty good.  Worst call wa point 5.  Gettleman pulled an all time gaff at 6 and I had been right about the Redskins not going QB until he overruled his football people and took Haskins.

Grier we to Carolina.

i had called Hockenson to the Bills but he was gone at 8 so it became super obvious that Oliver was the pick. 

A ton of WR went in round two as I predicted. Not a lot of trades high.

By my count

25 minutes ago, Zerovoltz said:

Not bad,  turned out pretty good.  

A quick scan shows that you got one pick out of 32 correct, and uh, that was kind of a layup.  I wouldn't go hurting your shoulder patting yourself on the back :)

• Like (+1) 2

33 minutes ago, akm0404 said:

By my count

A quick scan shows that you got one pick out of 32 correct, and uh, that was kind of a layup.  I wouldn't go hurting your shoulder patting yourself on the back :)

yeah....my mock was awful...I said when I posted it that it would be.  My draft analysis in general was decent.  Predicting the NFL draft is a fools errand.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Zerovoltz said:

Not bad,  turned out pretty good.  Worst call wa point 5.  Gettleman pulled an all time gaff at 6 and I had been right about the Redskins not going QB until he overruled his football people and took Haskins.

Grier we to Carolina.

i had called Hockenson to the Bills but he was gone at 8 so it became super obvious that Oliver was the pick. 

Oliver would have been the pick even if Hock was there. Had Oliver not been there then I think based on what Beane said afterwards that Hock was in play. 

5 minutes ago, Doc said:

Mocks are mental ***** and rarely ever right beyond the first half dozen picks, if even.  What matters more is player evaluations and how they stack up with reality years later.

Hey! I've matched 8 from my 1st round mock this year... that isn't bad. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Zerovoltz said:

Grier we to Carolina.

I was pretty accurate with my assesment of your assessment.  BTW Oliver was the target the whole time, not Hock.  They actually took the TE that some were linking to them.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, akm0404 said:

By my count

Didn’t the Colts select Tillery?  2 right