11 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Speculation is worse than useless here - it's demonization of a group of people.  

100%

The point with the Shep call is he never once (still hasn't) shown that kind of journalistic integrity when it came to Trump/Russia. In fact, he did more than most to throw logs onto the fire - without having anything to back it up. It's not really about this situation, but about the track record of Shep and Fox. 

Though, to pretend there aren't: 1) Massive protests for two months in Paris and 2) Rising tensions between extremists groups and Parisian churches - is just as dishonest as someone claiming to know definitively one way or the other on anything at this stage. Either one of those could be connected. 

But I'm in complete agreement it's FAR too early to know one way or the other. And even if it was arson, there are multiple groups which would immediately become suspects - including yellow vest protesters and Islamic extremists (which are wildly different groups). The next 48 hours should tell us more one way or the other. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Right. Both sides (accident v. intentional) begin at 0 and when evidence is displayed, you adjust accordingly. The accounts from the scene saying it was an accident would be a point towards that camp, but the validity of that can be questioned for sure. So we wait and see what happens. 

We tend to default to believing something to be an accident (at least the media at large does) and that can lead to other potentials not being fleshed out. I haven't been watching fox, but I wonder if they are actually evaluating it from both sides. Not that it matters too much today.  

Cavuto did the same thing with another guest who was attempting to bring up the possibility of it not being an accident.

53 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Ben Franklin/BM: "How dare he show compassion!"

You see Trump's much later tweet and think of me? 

Really, man: You have problems.

Here's a proposal for you: You stop responding/obsessing about me and I'll never respond to another post by you where I make fun of your conspiracies. The board will be all too happy if you agree since no one wants to see more of this. Deal? 

1 hour ago, DC Tom said:

That's actually why I'm not too broken up about Notre Dame.  It's sad, yes...but do you have any idea how many medieval treasures were destroyed by allied fire-bombings?  

Yes, at some level, it's just "stuff."

It's personally sad for to see it so damaged because it has some touching memories for me from a recent trip to Paris. Also sad to see interesting places like this reduced to ash and rubble. So goes it all eventually.

I'm happy no one was hurt. 

22 minutes ago, Foxx said:

It is/was. Even more so thinking about what life was like when it was built, and its contrast with the surrounding world and life. Seeing it must have been like Disneyworld x googeplex. 

Paris

Behind the arch of glory sets the day;
The river lies in curves of silver light,
The Fields Elysian glitter in a spray
Of golden dust; the gilded dome is bright,
The towers of Notre Dame cut clean and gray
The evening sky, and pale from left to right
A hundred bridges leap from either quay.
Pillared with pride, the city of delight
Sits like an empress by her silver Seine,
Heavy with jewels, all her splendid dower
Flashing upon her, won from shore and main
By shock of combat, sacked from town and tower.
Wherever men have builded hall or fane
Red war hath gleaned for her and men have slain
To deck her loveliness. I feel again
That joy which brings her art to faultless flower,
That passion of her kings, who, reign on reign,
Arrayed her star by star with pride and power.

- Willa Cather

Edited by BeginnersMind

4 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

100%

The point with the Shep call is he never once (still hasn't) shown that kind of journalistic integrity when it came to Trump/Russia. In fact, he did more than most to throw logs onto the fire - without having anything to back it up. It's not really about this situation, but about the track record of Shep and Fox. 

Though, to pretend there aren't: 1) Massive protests for two months in Paris and 2) Rising tensions between extremists groups and Parisian churches - is just as dishonest as someone claiming to know definitively one way or the other on anything at this stage. Either one of those could be connected. 

But I'm in complete agreement it's FAR too early to know one way or the other. And even if it was arson, there are multiple groups which would immediately become suspects - including yellow vest protesters and Islamic extremists (which are wildly different groups). The next 48 hours should tell us more one way or the other. 

Well, Shepard Smith is just another in a long line of hypocrites pretending to be objective while pushing a narrative.  For God's sake the entire news industry is built upon speculation and innuendo. 

As for speculation, someone earlier wondered aloud about the speed in which authorities seemed to proclaim/imply the fire was a result of construction at the cathedral. I have known more than a few cause/origin in cause investigators over the years.  It seems likely that absent something along the lines of a French plumber admitting "I try to zolder zee pipe near zee rafter and how you say "Ah sheet it caught zee fire", that's pure speculation as well at this point in a fire this massive.  Hell you could have a construction worker with an axe to grind start this fire. 

Very few people of faith would accept "Construction caused it" until verified, and it's  human nature to speculate. I would assume it would be the same at any mosque, temple or the Taj Mahal. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Well, Shepard Smith is just another in a long line of hypocrites pretending to be objective while pushing a narrative.  For God's sake the entire news industry is built upon speculation and innuendo. 

As for speculation, someone earlier wondered aloud about the speed in which authorities seemed to proclaim/imply the fire was a result of construction at the cathedral. I have known more than a few cause/origin in cause investigators over the years.  It seems likely that absent something along the lines of a French plumber admitting "I try to zolder zee pipe near zee rafter and how you say "Ah sheet it caught zee fire", that's pure speculation as well at this point in a fire this massive.  Hell you could have a construction worker with an axe to grind start this fire. 

Very few people of faith would accept "Construction caused it" until verified, and it's  human nature to speculate. I would assume it would be the same at any mosque, temple or the Taj Mahal.

I'd wager that the media pushing the accident narrative so early was to prevent (possibly unwarranted) violence against the Muslim population. I can see the French going berserk over a terrorist attack on something so important to their culture and national identity as Notre Dame.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Koko78 said:

I'd wager that the media pushing the accident narrative so early was to prevent (possibly unwarranted) violence against the Muslim population. I can see the French going berserk over a terrorist attack on something so important to their culture and national identity as Notre Dame.

you may be correct. However, it's not their role in the game to make sh:t up and often it just makes thing a whole lot worse. Common sense suggests that if the cause was "construction accident", they've pinpointed the cause and more can be shared than "construction accident!". That can unravel quickly, and sane people recognize that violence would always be unwarranted.  The crazies don't like to be lied to, though in fairness they ain't always crazy about the truth either. 

10 hours ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

They were having difficulty securing funds for the renovations. I cannot imagine how much money a rebuilt would take. 

Not more than we're willing to give, but at some point one has to ask, when are they responsible for their own 'world treasures'.

10 hours ago, Foxx said:

If there's one thing you learn as a believer, it's to not form attachments to material things. Why? Because everything burns in the end. Nothing earthly, no matter how beautiful or valuable, lasts. 

Just now, Joe in Winslow said:

If there's one thing you learn as a believer, it's to not form attachments to material things. Why? Because everything burns in the end. Nothing earthly, no matter how beautiful or valuable, lasts. 

Well that's pretty true.  But we can appreciate God's works through man, which that was one.  And we'll rebuild.

• Thank you (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

This is true and not just believers can learn this. It's a lesson taught by many. 

It's inspiring to see how quickly people are racing to pledge rebuilding funds. Money won't be the issue on the rebuild. From what I've read so far, it seems like only some of the original timber joists may have been damaged. The Cathedral is/was in many ways a Ship of Theseus, but in particular much of what was destroyed. I look forward to seeing it someday restored to its full majesty. 

Edited by BeginnersMind

59 minutes ago, Foxx said:

Never too early for you guys to speculate that's for sure. Demonize me along with Shep Smith in saying maybe we should wait until we know more.

Since the fire was already burning and firefighters were on the scene, that could have been anyone from someone trying to rescue artifacts to Quasimodo.

Edited by BeginnersMind

2 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

You’ve clearly never been to Notre Dame. My knees literally buckled as I turned the corner and walked into the plaza for the first time. This is/was the true physical form of worship. 

5 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

You’ve clearly never been to Notre Dame. My knees literally buckled as I turned the corner and walked into the plaza for the first time. This is/was the true physical form of worship. 

Let me put it to you this way:

THE temple of the Creator God has been destroyed since AD 70, and its splendor would have made Notre Dame look like a farmhouse.

4 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Let me put it to you this way:

THE temple of the Creator God has been destroyed since AD 70, and its splendor would have made Notre Dame look like a farmhouse.

And your point is what exactly? Nobody’ saying that a building is God. The sadness is for the tremendous loss. That building is almost 4 times as old as the United States!

1 minute ago, SoCal Deek said:

And your point is what exactly? Nobody’ saying that a building is God. The sadness is for the tremendous loss. That building is almost 4 times as old as the United States!

Look, I'm not contesting the historical importance of Notre Dame Cathedral. I'm just a bit numb to all the emotional outflows over it - most of which is coming from people who don't even care about the building's initial purpose.

17 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Interesting. I was impressed by it outside and in mostly due to its age and when viewed within the lens of time it was built, but I found nearby Saint Chapelle much more moving. 

image.png.9ac4048d77c0bc9c813fe2f9f7a42dee.png

10 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Look, I'm not contesting the historical importance of Notre Dame Cathedral. I'm just a bit numb to all the emotional outflows over it - most of which is coming from people who don't even care about the building's initial purpose.

? What are we looking at?