Buffalo Bills: Back to Bojorquez

7 hours ago, NewEra said:

Me too. I like his leg. It’s his head and nerves that scares me.  Once the game isn’t too big for him, I think he’ll be solid

I get that feeling, too. But, he is just a punter. Outside of placeholder (lol), punter has to be the most stressfree position. 

7 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

I haven't seen it discussed, which isn't surprising. It's the ***** punter, you know? Are they even people?

Turns out they are...and we have one entering his 2nd year, named Corey.

When Bojorquez was punting the Bills netted 39.4 yards.

When the back-ups (Schmidt and Darr) were punting, the Bills netted 35 yards. That's actually a significant difference in the world of punting. Did I mention Corey was a rookie? He should only get better.

Old-ish but good article on analyzing punters. It talks a lot about how misleading averages can be. Net average is obviously better, but it still only shows a small part of the whole picture .

Looking at Corey's stats, his IN20:TB ratio was 5.5 to 1, which is great. His fair catch percentage was 20, which is not great, but his return yards average was only 6.9, which is great (10th in the league). So, guys were opting to return it pretty often, but the Bills' players were right there to make the tackle. That probably indicates good coverage and/or placement and/or hang time.

Darr wasn't too shabby at 8.0, but Schmidt was brutal at 16...yikes.

The Bills notably added some special teams aces in free agency, including Andre Roberts - last year's league leader in kick return yardage and average yards per punt return.

Roberts' returning repertoire may not help Bojorquez much, but Sinorise Perry will. He's a big contributor in blocking and coverage.

I'm overtly optimistic about the Bills' special teams potential this season. With enough improvement, that unit could turn the tide of a few games and generally provide a positive impact to the field position battle.

Special teams strategy is no mystery. In my opinion, the two factors that'll boost a unit towards the top are talent and creativity. It appears that the Bills have the talent, so now it's up to the coach.

In regards to Bombin' Bojo, I'd like to see him improve his fair catch percentage this season. He should also remain top 10 in average return yards. His IN20:TB ratio is great, but if he got it up to 6 or 7 he'd be tops in the league. The average yards doesn't matter much and the Buffalo weather has a significant impact on distance.

Can this special teams unit be top ten overall?

Why did you combine the two? 

Also, Darr netted 36.3 with the Bills in 2018, while netting 39.8 in his two years with the Dolphins. Quite frankly, the punter is not the entire problem on ST. With a proper ST, and some time to develop a bit, the kid will be a probowler. That is how bad I think our ST is. 

22 minutes ago, Paulus said:

I get that feeling, too. But, he is just a punter. Outside of placeholder (lol), punter has to be the most stressfree position. 

Holding for FGs is pretty important.  Remember when he just chose to run a fake on his own? Bwahahahaha.  Decent leg though!

I’ve got it!!!  The Bills coach Bojorquez to punt right legged as well as left!  Special teams coaches around the league suffer stroke inducing brain freezes over defending that prospect.  “Which way will it spin?!”  Belichick is apoplectic over the development and allowing the Pats to lose out on Bojorquez, and retires to the swamps of Dagobah.  

7 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Carter was doing good in preseason last year before he got hurt. They didn’t keep him around for no reason. At the end of the day I think he will be the punter.

I agree he has the best chance of those we have now. Could add another in draft (late) or a undrafted free agree agent

4 minutes ago, TDRupp said:

I agree he has the best chance of those we have now. Could add another in draft (late) or a undrafted free agree agent

The Bills obviously did not like their o-line group and attacked it with a vengeance.  I wonder how many of the 6 they signed actually make the 53 man roster.  It seemed like overkill but the Bills want the problem fixed and by boosting the numbers of NFL quality players and letting them compete for spots they feel like it will be.

That same philosophy could apply to fixing their punting and they may well draft one if there is one they really like.  Directional kicking, having different types of situational kicks, hang time and near zero mishits are what I'd look for.  The ten picks they have  right now can't all make the roster so I could see them 'burning" a late one on a punter.

1 minute ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

The actual punting of the ball part of bojorquez was good. There were just a lot of other errors that make him a little worrisome 

There seemed to be less ‘wounded ducks’ coming off his foot.  Sometimes I wondered if the offensive blockers were going to take a ball to the back of their helmets when Schmidt was punting.

17 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

There seemed to be less ‘wounded ducks’ coming off his foot.  Sometimes I wondered if the offensive blockers were going to take a ball to the back of their helmets when Schmidt was punting.

Schmidt was terrible. Carter and Bojorquez were both much better imo.

8 hours ago, 1ManRaid said:

Man, you try SO hard.

"New guy"...lul.

Didnt u just try and burn me for NOT trying hard enough? 

Im sorry, im just not going to explain it to you.

Its not my fault you didnt get it and made yourself look silly. Keep up, dont, i dont care but something tells me youll fit right in!

2 hours ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

The Bills obviously did not like their o-line group and attacked it with a vengeance.  I wonder how many of the 6 they signed actually make the 53 man roster.  It seemed like overkill but the Bills want the problem fixed and by boosting the numbers of NFL quality players and letting them compete for spots they feel like it will be.

That same philosophy could apply to fixing their punting and they may well draft one if there is one they really like.  Directional kicking, having different types of situational kicks, hang time and near zero mishits are what I'd look for.  The ten picks they have  right now can't all make the roster so I could see them 'burning" a late one on a punter.

I'm betting they all do.  I can't see any of the holdovers besides Dawkins any maybe Teller as being locks.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Paulus said:

Why did you combine the two? 

Also, Darr netted 36.3 with the Bills in 2018, while netting 39.8 in his two years with the Dolphins. Quite frankly, the punter is not the entire problem on ST. With a proper ST, and some time to develop a bit, the kid will be a probowler. That is how bad I think our ST is. 

Because it's Bojo vs Backups vs Cory to the death

16 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

The offseason has been way too exciting to talk about punters, but I guess something had to give eventually. Sometimes I wonder how Pat Pidgeon is doing these days. 

Punters need love, too

Brian Moorman was always our best player growing up....

1 hour ago, LeGOATski said:

Because it's Bojo vs Backups vs Cory to the death

Fair enough. The whole Darr having averaged 39.8 over his years with the Dolphins and watching that drop by 3.5 yards in Buffalo is sad. I think Bojo is the right move for next season. You don't get anywhere in the NFL using retreads, usually.