Ty Nsekhe and Quinton Spain Video clips

akcash

I keep hearing that we should spend a high draft pick on a OG because Spain is only on a one year deal.....

We have PLENTY of cap room next year to extend Spain......we know that he is very good.....why would we be looking to replace him after a year?

I get Nsecki (sp) because he is getting on in years......but the interior of this line appears to be set to me.   I can see a 3rd to 4th round OT to develop.......but we are in a good position here to get some other needs as well.

I plan on Spain being here for a while even if he is on a prove it deal

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I keep hearing that we should spend a high draft pick on a OG because Spain is only on a one year deal.....

We have PLENTY of cap room next year to extend Spain......we know that he is very good.....why would we be looking to replace him after a year?

I get Nsecki (sp) because he is getting on in years......but the interior of this line appears to be set to me.   I can see a 3rd to 4th round OT to develop.......but we are in a good position here to get some other needs as well.

Thats how I am viewing it as well. Get me a developmental OT in the mid rounds and this line is set for the next two years.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, cage said:

I'm sure this is in some thread somewhere, but what's the issue w/ Spain?  Why hasn't anyone signed him, why is he only worth a 1 year deal??

I think he might have just lost the musical chairs game - the teams with needs already filled them, and Tenn replaced him.  Buffalo offered him the option to come in and earn a job.  If he earns it he'll probably stick around i would think.  

Edited by dneveu

12 minutes ago, cage said:

I'm sure this is in some thread somewhere, but what's the issue w/ Spain?  Why hasn't anyone signed him, why is he only worth a 1 year deal??

He probably wanted a 1 year deal to try and hit FA again after another strong showing, essentially betting on himself.  If he is in fact good, we could always use the franchise tag on him for another year or sign him long term if he wants to stay

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, cage said:

Pretty sure Titans fans said he's very good at pass blocking, but below average in run blocking... and that 2016 was his best year, but he wasn't so good the last two years.

11 minutes ago, junior12thman92 said:

Pretty sure Titans fans said he's very good at pass blocking, but below average in run blocking... and that 2016 was his best year, but he wasn't so good the last two years.

For as excited as we are, he really is just an average starter.  There is a chance he may not even be that much better than Miller.  

• Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

His contract certainly doesn't reflect that. 1.9m on a 1yr deal isn't something to gloat over.

3 hours ago, Bray Wyatt said:

He probably wanted a 1 year deal to try and hit FA again after another strong showing, essentially betting on himself.  If he is in fact good, we could always use the franchise tag on him for another year or sign him long term if he wants to stay

I’m thinking the opposite.  He probably wanted a long term deal and teams just didn’t do it with him. Hence him settling for a one year deal later in free agency 

5 hours ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

For as excited as we are, he really is just an average starter.  There is a chance he may not even be that much better than Miller.  

Bingo.

I'm happy we got another guy to compete.  But seems some posters are acting like the guy is just shy of the Pro Bowl.

From everything I've read, Spain is an above average pass protector (about 1 sack given up per 10 games started) but not a good zone run blocker.  So...don't run a zone blocking system.

1 hour ago, Doc said:

From everything I've read, Spain is an above average pass protector (about 1 sack given up per 10 games started) but not a good zone run blocker.  So...don't run a zone blocking system.

Yep. He is a an aggressive nasty man scheme guy. He wants to blow his Dlineman off the ball and then get to the second level and finish. He isn't a read and react guy but the Bills definitely got away from the zone stuff last year in any event. Almost every team runs a hybrid now with a bit of everything but the Bills were doing lots of the stuff that Spain does very well. 

7 hours ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

He is much better than Miller. It isn't even close. 

The guys who haven't watched much of Quinton Spain play (and why would you the Titans are the dullest team in the NFL) are in for a very nice surprise. This guy is a stud. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Yep. He is a an aggressive nasty man scheme guy. He wants to blow his Dlineman off the ball and then get to the second level and finish. He isn't a read and react guy but the Bills definitely got away from the zone stuff last year in any event. Almost every team runs a hybrid now with a bit of everything but the Bills were doing lots of the stuff that Spain does very well. 

He is much better than Miller. It isn't even close. 

The guys who haven't watched much of Quinton Spain play (and why would you the Titans are the dullest team in the NFL) are in for a very nice surprise. This guy is a stud. 

That would be awesome, but Miller got signed before Spain and to a much larger contract.  That wasn't an accident.  Now, I know that doesn't necessarily mean Spain will be a significant upgrade, but it does reflect how front offices view the two players.  If the standard is just that Spain was a starter, well so was Miller.  And I'll admit I haven't really watched Spain play, but I am skeptical.

And I meant to add, there is also something to be said for offensive systems. Do you remember how good Levitre was with the Bills? Then he got that big contract, went to a different system, and he was never the same.  I am super nervous that Spain was a product of the Titan's system. 

Edited by JoshAllenHasBigHands