Thinking ahead Trey White

The team just fixed the cap and now you want them to F it up with ridiculous contracts like that?

Let it all play out. Let him finish his rookie contract WITH the 5th year option and then pay him like normal. And if he walks, he walks. McDermott's proven specialty is the secondary. We'll never have to worry about it.

Food for thought to the OP:  This contract is so bad and unrealistic that I do not think you could even do it on John Madden football on your video game console. 

Yikes.

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, klos63 said:

If he continues to be a top CB , he'll be getting $20+ per season if he waits out the rest of his rookie deal.

At least that as the new CBA will likely give players a bigger slice of the pie.  It’ll be interesting to see if both sides are interested in a new deal next year.

It is worth saying though to all those ridiculing the OP that when teams extend 1st round picks early (so after year 3 which is the earliest it can be done by league rules) there is some precedent for 8 year deals. Tyron Smith got one from Dallas in exactly those circumstances. 

The structure of that deal is quite different though. They gave him about a quarter of what was basically a $100m contract as guaranteed cash but kept the cap hits down for the first 4 years with an expensive 5th and 6th year and then two expensive but totally unguaranteed years. 

What is being suggested here is an expensive 1st and 2nd year and then diminishing returns for the player financially after that. Which means it depends a little (as these things always do) on the trade off Tre and his agent make between cash up front and security down the line against injury. 

While I think $30m up front in year 1 would be a stretch I can certainly see the Bills giving him $20m in year one and good money in year 2 to try and manage the cap as more and more of their own draftees come up for extension in subsequent years. 

So in conclusion while 8 year deals are rare there is some precedent where rookie 1st rounders extend after their 3rd year. I don't expect the Bills to go 8 years but think there is merit for their long term cap position in trying to do a deal with Tre after this season (maybe a 6 year deal) that pays him well in years 1 and 2 with more cap friendly hits down the road. 

Edited by GunnerBill

7 hours ago, Franchiseneedsme said:

White is the first top player coming up for a new deal under this regime. I was thinking it might be a smart idea to sign him to a long term deal and front load it because of all the money we will have available next year.  Would he sign a 8 year $90M deal with $30M in year 1? Then its basically a 7 year deal for $60M. I think it's a win win For everyone. If he holds out for Free agency he would def get more $$$ if he stays healthy, but this makes him a rich man and would be hard to turn down. And the Bill's would have a Top player at huge bargain year 2-8. Hell give him the most Guaranteed $$ a CB has ever gotten we can afford it. White wants to be great, i dont think we would have to worry he gets lazy like Daurius after he gets paid. And it's a good look to all the young players on the team. Play well and get paid.  Love this team and how Beanie is running things. So many possibilities with how our cap is being managed. Yes iv been drinking 

Obviously